Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

Fuel Burning Heater and Timed Climate
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If the temperature gauge has moved it is a good sign as the gauges are not accurate, they operate in steps, i.e. cold, normal, hot, as apposed to a gradual reading.
I have never altered any settings on mine when switching the engine off, 22degrees, dash vents open, remotely switched on for 15 minutes and you can instantly feel the heat when the door is opened, 100% improvement on the D3 Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #210106021st Nov 2019 9:23 am
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

M3DPO wrote:
I think it is irrelevant what the heater controls are set to

maybe you are right it is a LR after al and i know we are talking D4 here and not D3, but the retrofit factory Webasto manual for D3 says:

Rule of thumb for the operation of the auxiliary heater: Travel time = heating time!

Before parking the vehicle, make the following settings:
1 Air outlet on windscreen
2 Temperature on „max.“

Before switching off the ignition, wait approx. 20 seconds until flaps have reached the desired
positions!

in my experience the principle for every car with a Parking heater this principal is the same..

regarding the question of the topic owner, why is het 100% shure that the complete parkingheater functionality is deliverd from the factory when new... is it possible only a partial functionality is implemented? remote startup of a FBH is not by definition parkingheater/indoor heated control ( a often made mistake)
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #210107821st Nov 2019 10:16 am
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

I have just run the Remote on the Timed Climate. Prior to switching it on, I directed the heat which was set on the highest setting and waited for a while before switching off the ignition.

After 20 minutes there was..................absolutely no difference! Still barely warm.

JLR must be the ONLY company that progresses by going backwards. At least the system worked in the 2010 D4 we had before this one.

Post #210110221st Nov 2019 12:48 pm
nigel207

Motolab wrote:
M3DPO wrote:
I think it is irrelevant what the heater controls are set to

maybe you are right it is a LR after al and i know we are talking D4 here and not D3, but the retrofit factory Webasto manual for D3 says:

Rule of thumb for the operation of the auxiliary heater: Travel time = heating time!

Before parking the vehicle, make the following settings:
1 Air outlet on windscreen
2 Temperature on „max.“

Before switching off the ignition, wait approx. 20 seconds until flaps have reached the desired
positions!

in my experience the principle for every car with a Parking heater this principal is the same..

regarding the question of the topic owner, why is het 100% shure that the complete parkingheater functionality is deliverd from the factory when new... is it possible only a partial functionality is implemented? remote startup of a FBH is not by definition parkingheater/indoor heated control ( a often made mistake)

The Timed Climate was part of the original specification for my vehicle using the touch screen in the dash (to set times etc for the heating to turn on - which it does, but just doesn’t get very warm). That’s how I know it’s there. I have added and enabled the LR remote later, which again works to a degree, but only reaches the same low temperature.

Surely if the system is fitted by the manufacturer, (whether it’s the Timed Climate using the touch screen, or the owner specifies the remote) they should work properly?

Post #210110321st Nov 2019 12:53 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sorry,

but maybe that is wishfull thinking...

the first answer you did get from M3DPO tells you allready something....

simply stating "the timing function is there in the screen, so the complete kit is there" can be wrong...

although i do not know your specific model and specs, the FBH itself is there because to assist your engine to keep the cabin warm while driving en when driving in temperatures below 7 degrees celsius.. (temp sensor) adding a remote or clock, either added physical clock or enable it in the screen (wich is often easy to do with the right programmer), starts only the FBH unit, not by default the blowers IN the cabin, let alone the additional fiitings in the engine bay.. (that has to be installed physically in most cars)

maybe, just maybe your car is not delivered by the factory with the complete system from standard or from first order....
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #210111421st Nov 2019 2:11 pm
sasdiscos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

Maybe there is a problem with it. Can you scan the codes? Perhaps the circulation pump isn’t working properly.

If there is a massive difference in if it was factory fitted or not. In my case I can’t see how it can be any better. I don’t have it and it heats my cabin to an acceptable heat after 20 mins or so. Only difference being is mine is a 2010.

If it was fitted, maybe it would be 10 mins I don’t know.

Any way, sounds like yours isn’t doing what it should.

Steve
 You remind me of a younger me, not much younger mind...perhaps even a little older!  
Post #210111621st Nov 2019 2:31 pm
nigel207

sadiscos,

That seems to be the problem, there isn't an external pump as I have seen described by others! The unit itself is getting hot and the pipes around it (presumably by convection), but not much of the heat is getting into the cabin. My 2010 model sounds like yours, and from what I remember did get warmer than this 2016 one.

Motolab,

The car left the factory with the Timed Climate activated, so whether the full system is fitted or not it should work as advertised, otherwise we have a saying - Not Fit For Purpose! I do not see in the handbook where it says "although activated at the factory, you'll be lucky if it gets warm". Perhaps you can enlighten me where I'll find this please? If LR advertise and activate the Timed Climate, it should work, end of.

Post #210112421st Nov 2019 3:50 pm
sasdiscos

Ah I see. I have a pump (and thought they all did) but missing the diverter valve. And assumed this was the factory fit option.

I apologise for leading you in the wrong direction.

Steve
 You remind me of a younger me, not much younger mind...perhaps even a little older!  
Post #210112521st Nov 2019 3:54 pm
sasdiscos

Does topix say that your car has park heating?

Steve
Post #210112621st Nov 2019 3:55 pm
nigel207

sasdiscos wrote:
Ah I see. I have a pump (and thought they all did) but missing the diverter valve. And assumed this was the factory fit option.

I apologise for leading you in the wrong direction.

Steve

Steve,

Perhaps it's me that's confused (quite likely!)? The FBH fitted to my car is the standard set-up. I have seen others that have extra pipework and probably the diverter valve (not the pump), which mine hasn't got.

I've tried to look on Topix, but am unable to get access to see the build. However, the car was "as supplied" from the factory (except for a few thousand miles on it!!), and had the Timed Climate activated as the screen was working as it should (when it's not activated, the option is greyed out I believe). Whilst I know that brochures are not 100%, Timed Climate is spoken about as being fitted to the 2016 Landmark model. There are no faults logged on the IID either.

It's a first World problem I know, but what with the appalling quality surround cameras (again, something that worked on the earlier models!) and this...………. Perhaps I remember something on the 2010 car that perhaps wasn't any/much better, although the heating issues on later models is well documented. Progress eh?

Post #210113121st Nov 2019 4:23 pm
sasdiscos

Maybe go and see the dealer. They may be able to shed some light on it.

Is it under warranty?

Steve
Post #210113421st Nov 2019 4:47 pm
Madmole

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I’m glad I’m not alone in this. Mine was set to come on this morning, left it on “HI” set the blower to the lowest setting as advised, still barely warm, temp gauge not moved. It warms up quicker than if I don’t set it about a mile or so down the road, but that’s not what I signed up for. If you look at the Land Rover promo video for the Discovery 4 Park heating, you would think it was about 40 deg when you got in. Laughing

Post #210113721st Nov 2019 5:17 pm
sasdiscos

Just tried to phot mine but it’s a bit dark. I have the pump tucked up at the back with the pipe coming up then back down again.

Steve
Post #210114621st Nov 2019 6:10 pm
nigel207

Thank you for that. I’ll check mine later, and yes, the car does have LR extended warranty (IF they cover the FBH?).

Post #210126922nd Nov 2019 12:37 pm
nigel207

sasdiscos wrote:

Just tried to phot mine but it’s a bit dark. I have the pump tucked up at the back with the pipe coming up then back down again.

Steve

I finally got around to checking, and mine is just the same as yours. Oddly enough, I have a friend who had a 65-plate Graphite (with a 62-plate one before) and he says that the Graphite park heater was pretty hopeless, just taking the chill off things and defrosting the windows, but that's about it.

It looks like your car is identical to my previous one - Bali blue HSE. Thumbs Up

Post #210199826th Nov 2019 4:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >