Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

"Gearbox fault", download & reconfigur require
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Sanjoy

2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4
"Gearbox fault", download & reconfigur require

Had the above warning several times and the Dealer is now telling me I have to oay for a download and reconfigure and it is not covered by my extended warranty. I bought the car last Sept and must admit to not being overly happy about being charged 1 hour (£100) labour for this.

Care is a 09 D4.

There tech kit also reported a low battery charge, car is used daily for ~2 hours so unless it is an alternator problem I would imagine there is a new battery needed which they reported the bill going up to £407.

Thoughts on other owners experience of similar problems ?

TIA

S
 340rR Widow Maker
E320 wagon
Discovery 4
Trek Madone 5.2 

Post #109055619th Apr 2013 11:42 am
stick

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR4

I don't see how you can have to pay for the download.

If there is a fault, then why wouldn't the warranty cover it?

Batteries are obviously excluded from extended warranty. I have heard of plently of people getting stranded once the d4 is 3 years old, so you might want to consider a new battery for next winter? I am.
 d4 HSE  
Post #109071519th Apr 2013 4:12 pm
Sanjoy

Just picked up the car and £110 lighter. I read the warranty brochure on the desk. Gearbox is covered and I put the car in due to a gearbox fault light. The resolution was a download and reconfigure which the warranty company rejected but if it was a new gear box then they would pay out.

Looked at the exceptions list and no mention of it. I guess when it was called it in was not that persons money calling it in so they might not have tried as hard as I would.

Guess I am now going to have to waste some time going through the complaints procedure.

As for a new battery they trickled it all day and it is reporting good now rather than low, I will battle that with the Dealer Principal over that, I bought a car of him in Sept, I do not expect to buy a new battery so soon. If I do then his approved boys did not do their job properly prepping the car. I was given the line "we check pads, tyres etc as I cannot have you coming back in 6 months saying that I sold you a car with worn x"

S
 340rR Widow Maker
E320 wagon
Discovery 4
Trek Madone 5.2 

Post #109074119th Apr 2013 5:01 pm
Sanjoy

Got a reply for LR warranty who stated it is specifically not covered in the policy although struggling to see that working here: http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publ...nties.html

Quote:
What your Land Rover Approved Warranty Covers

The Approved Warranty covers defects to all factory fitted components of the vehicle for mechanical or electrical failure with the exception of the following items.

What your Approved Warranty Does Not Cover

All service/maintenance operations and adjustments
Glass
Paintwork and bodywork
Wheels
Wheel balancing/alignment and adjustment unless part of a valid claim
Recharging of air conditioning unit unless part of a valid claim
Telephone/TV/DVD/VIDEO
Tyres
Batteries
Exhaust system
Water ingress
Strikers and hinges
Consumables, unless part of a valid claim
General Exclusions for Approved Warranty

Component failure resulting from accident damage, misuse, neglect, overloading or abnormal use.
Faults resulting from the use of contaminated fuel or inappropriate fuel for the vehicle.
Damage which has resulted from a failure to arrange for an obvious fault to be rectified.
Damage which has occurred as a result of any accessory being fitted (unless the accessory is approved by the manufacturer for use on the vehicle and fitted according to instructions provided by the manufacturer of the accessory).
Any damage caused by frost, including damage where a lack or failure of anti-freeze has been a contributory factor.
Any damage or losses to components not directly covered under the terms and conditions of this warranty.
The gradual reduction in operating performance (wear and tear) consistent with the age and mileage of the vehicle.
Any loss, damage or failure which occurs while the vehicle is outside the geographical territories of the UK, European Union or EFTA countries.
Left hand drive vehicles and Grey Import vehicles.

Interestingly I was also told by LR that the warranty is not regulated by the Ombudsman?
 340rR Widow Maker
E320 wagon
Discovery 4
Trek Madone 5.2 

Post #10978092nd May 2013 11:59 am
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

They could probably wriggle and squirm out of it using the "all service/maintenance operations and adjustments" bit.

Quite honestly, LR's warranty is a total con. I won't go into details here, but there's something on my car that an expert in plastics has physically inspected and says is faulty, and yet LR warranty people can tell from a photograph that it isn't. Arrogance personified!

Post #10978482nd May 2013 1:10 pm
Sanjoy

So I bought my car Sept 2012 from the dealer. I have now been told that the warranty exclusions have been updated to include software updates to remedy faults.
The current warranty paperwork at the Service Desk at Pentland Edinburgh is the old one as does not exclude it. The warranty paperwork I was given when I bought my car is the old one. The website for the warranty is still showing the old one. The one at LR Warranty HQ is the right one which excludes it.

Anyone else think this smells a bit ?

Anyone bought an approved car recently with warranty able to check their exclusions for me ?

S
 340rR Widow Maker
E320 wagon
Discovery 4
Trek Madone 5.2 

Post #11011509th May 2013 2:53 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

It doesn't smell, it STINKS!

Sadly, most of us have got a lot of money invested in our vehicles, otherwise we ought to do the sensible thing and walk away! They are simply unbelievable! I have every sympathy with you. When I spoke to my local Independent after I'd got my D4 with the extended LR warranty, he said that the Warranty Direct policy that I had with my "old" car was much, much better than LR's, even though they almost advertise it as being a full continuation of the Manufacturer's.

Post #11012059th May 2013 4:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >