Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

Glow Plugs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MLDX

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Glow Plugs

Hi, I have a fuel burning heater but it has recently stopped working. I have started putting hot water on the sensor and it starts every time with no issues. My ex is a mechanic and has moaned saying this is dangerous and can catch fire? Is this true?

Post #22088577th Feb 2021 10:29 pm
rangehelper

United Kingdom 

The heater has a serious system of protection against incorrect operation. I think we need to find and fix the problem! And enjoy the comfort in peace!

Post #22088597th Feb 2021 10:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

You mean hot water in sensor and engine starts. That’s fine

Post #22088627th Feb 2021 10:51 pm
rangehelper

United Kingdom 

I mean, webasto needs to be repaired. You need to repair and enjoy the normal start of the engine and the heat in the cabin.

Post #22088707th Feb 2021 11:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Glow Plugs

MLDX wrote:
Hi, I have a fuel burning heater but it has recently stopped working. I have started putting hot water on the sensor and it starts every time with no issues. My ex is a mechanic and has moaned saying this is dangerous and can catch fire? Is this true?

Try the serach function, what you are doing is the quick and dirty way, some people on here have added a resistor into the engine coolant temp sensor circuit and a switch to fool the ecu into thinking the sensor is warm/hot, once started you flick the switch off.

The FBH fault could be dead simple, if you run the car low on fuel the FBH will not start, do this often enough and the FBH locks itself out, so either chuck some fuel in the tank if its low, or get the codes read and cleared.

Post #22088928th Feb 2021 7:25 am
MLDX

rangehelper wrote:
I mean, webasto needs to be repaired. You need to repair and enjoy the normal start of the engine and the heat in the cabin.

Yes, I am going to get the glow plugs replaced. This is just temporary

Post #22090038th Feb 2021 5:57 pm
MLDX

Re: Glow Plugs

lynalldiscovery wrote:
MLDX wrote:

Try the serach function, what you are doing is the quick and dirty way, some people on here have added a resistor into the engine coolant temp sensor circuit and a switch to fool the ecu into thinking the sensor is warm/hot, once started you flick the switch off.

The FBH fault could be dead simple, if you run the car low on fuel the FBH will not start, do this often enough and the FBH locks itself out, so either chuck some fuel in the tank if its low, or get the codes read and cleared.

Thank you for the in depth reply but I haven’t got a clue about any of that but the idea of a switch sounds good. I currently have half a tank of fuel but I have previously let it go low so I guess that could have broke my FBh. I don’t know what you mean by get the codes read and cleared. I am having the glow plugs replaced soon. This is just temporary. I was just worried it could catch fire after what I was told

Post #22090058th Feb 2021 6:01 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Codes sound very glamorous/techy, all they are is when the engine/gearbox/suspension in fact any system on the car sees a problem (20 ecus on top spec d3) , it stores the fault as a code for future reference, and if it is a serious fault will stick a warning up on the dashboard.

Not just applicable to land rover but all modern cars, so before spening a penny on any faults it is always essential to see if there are any codes stored

Post #22091489th Feb 2021 1:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >