Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

It's goodbye - after nearly 14 years...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Kernow

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
It's goodbye - after nearly 14 years...

Sadly Sad , we've said goodbye to our trusty D3 SE Auto, bought new in 06. She's been replaced by a 7-seat Disco Sport (am I allowed to mention them on this forum...?) We miss the V6, the 'presence', the distinctive appearance, and the voting rights when meeting fake 4wd crossovers on country lanes. We never actually used 'rock crawl' mode, nor the second locking diff, but they were there if we had needed them! However, being a ton lighter, and slightly more powerful, the Sport is a fun drive - it's just a pity that it wasn't available in Tonga green! The D5 just wasn't an option - too much cost, and too much bulk for a couple of pensioners - and that rear numberplate! Too plush to mount a kerb, never mind take off-road. We'd have looked at the new Defender, but time wasn't on our side.

After years of great service, the number and cost of the repairs over time became just too onerous. To name but a few - two suspension pumps, numerous front suspension joints, many discs, two tailgate locks, something dodgy happening with the electronics, replacements for rusty brake lines, and a bonnet release that needed constant fettling - all these meant that we'd lost confidence in it for long journeys. 'Sunk costs' would have us retain it, but with the perceived mechanical uncertainty, and some potential restrictions and crazy road tax rises (here in Ireland - already €1400 p.a.), we've opted for Euro6, and plan to see how things change over the next few years.

Many thanks to all on the forum whose advice has been invaluable over the years... Thumbs Up Happy motoring to you all...
 TDV6 SE Tonga Green  
Post #20811455th Sep 2019 3:08 pm
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up

Have fun with the Disco Sport.
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #20811625th Sep 2019 4:11 pm
Sea Raider

Good luck let us know how it goes.

We are toying with this idea for next year, looking to get rid of one vehicle and share one. The Discovery Sport seems a happy medium

Post #20811655th Sep 2019 4:16 pm
Kernow

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

All good so far - I recommend it. It's in for some mudflaps (the lower body curves in more than I'm used to, and they'll keep the worst off during the winter), plus a minor niggle with a third row headrest which, after much use during the summer, is hard to retract. Off to the mountains soon, so I might get to test some 'Sport' terrain response...

Just a thought for anyone thinking of buying a DS new - mine was at the end of the 'old' production run, and most of the early issues seem to have been resolved. There's an updated version now, which looks very much the same (I haven't yet seen it in the metal) but is different underneath, with some 'mild hybrid' tech - and is from a new factory. Probably as good, but it would be useful to see the early reviews to get an idea what the best models/options are.
 TDV6 SE Tonga Green  
Post #20817027th Sep 2019 7:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >