Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Headlamp opening and modification in photos
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 9 of 26 <123 ... 8910 ... 242526>
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The amber reflector is in two parts, the main part is the outer frame which contains the fixing as well as the amber "Diffuser" which covers the indicator part, the second part is the vertical reflector side strip which is attached to the main part.

You could remove the strip reflector from the main part and figure a way to attach it to the front cover, or as I did, leave it attached to the main frame part and simply saw off the unwanted bits, this has the advantage of retaining the fixing for the reflector.

Another way is to remove the entire amber bit and do away with the reflector, but this would likely contravene some regulations or other, specially on a NAS vehicle with marker lights.

Edit; This is the bit I cut off (from right side lamp) : -
Click image to enlarge
 Clive

Last edited by crwoody on 25th Sep 2011 4:21 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #83777221st Sep 2011 5:31 pm
hids4u

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

crwoody wrote:
dazsear wrote:
... Having just fitted these bad boys I would suggest you all do the same....they are nothing short of amazing.

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/3156-LED-Can-Bus-I...Amber.html
Daz Thumbs Up

A big +1 up from me as well for these lamps, they really are the mutts nuts and as Ian says, they definitely fill the lens with light despite the amber diffuser being missing.

The previous cheapo Chinese ebay ones I had in before, (yes, I know, shame on me, Embarassed ) were barely visible unless you were directly in line with the front of the car, specially in daylight and the silvered regular bulbs weren't really much better.

So a big thanks to Ian for a great product backed up by an excellent service. Thumbs Up

Glad you like them and thanks for great feedback and pics. Like the mod Thumbs Up

Post #83779321st Sep 2011 6:04 pm
crwoody

" .. Glad you like them .. "

No problems Ian - credit where it's due and all that.

As Ian pointed out before, although these indicator LED's are listed as "Can Bus" and work perfectly well, it doesn't seem to stop the high speed ticking of the internal indicator sounder so resistors are still needed, (unless you choose to ignore the ticking, the external indicators still flash at the normal speed.)

Just in case it helps anyone else contemplating this mod, my solution to fitting them was to mount them internally to the lamp units, this avoided having to break into the loom externally and botch something in with those hateful Scotchlok connectors that always seem to work loose after a while.

I used a pair of 8.2 ohm 25W resistors, this gives the required current drain at around 13-14 volts and the wattage is sufficient given the 50% duty cycle. I mounted the resistors on a 2-3" square aluminium plate which also serves as a heat sink and fixed them inside the top of the headlight unit, then soldered the extended wires directly into the backs of the bulb holders. I used Pop Rivets for the fixings to avoid the possibility of bits working loose and dropping into the works.

Resistor on plate with extended wires attached.
Click image to enlarge

Plate mounted inside lamp unit (lamp upside down.)
Click image to enlarge

Wires connected to back of indicator bulb holder.
Click image to enlarge
 Clive

Post #83831522nd Sep 2011 4:20 pm
dazsear

England 

I have to say mine now flash at a normal speed unlike the cheap LED ones fitted earlier.....I can only assume it must have something to do with the resistors I have fitted to the rear D4 lights that are on my car.

Daz
 17 4.4 Autobiography FFRR
57 VW Transporter - now gone!
09 D3 HSE in Black - long gone!
08 RRS TDV8 HST - long long gone! 

Post #83856522nd Sep 2011 11:04 pm
rubydoo321

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
amber strip

Hi everyone, just opened up my headlights and removed the horrible amber parts.
Got some chrome bulbs on order, but i was just wondering if i have to put back some amber reflective strip down the side part of the headlight for it to pass an MOT? If i do have to do this is it easier to cut the original down to size or does anyone know where i can buy a reflective strip to stick in there!
Also is it legal to add some LED inside the headlight to use a runing lights? (wired to side lights)
Cheers guys
from kath

Post #8442036th Oct 2011 12:47 pm
Renton

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I am prety sure you dont need the orange reflector to pass MOT. But you dont have to cut anything, the reflector is glued to the amber part. Heat it and slowly price it of.

LED bulbs are not road legal (not eu approved) and might fail MOT. LED strips however are allowed.
This is what I did:
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS  
Post #8442656th Oct 2011 3:01 pm
rubydoo321

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
headlight modification

looks good renton Very Happy

Post #8445617th Oct 2011 9:43 am
hids4u

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Clive - what a truly professional job Bow down Bow down Bow down

I didnt quite getting round to putting them on the metal plate but this is for sure whats needed

I tried and tested many resistors and the highest value you can get away with is 10 ohm - any more then the dash light flashes as it likes

R
ian

Post #8451459th Oct 2011 12:32 pm
etmusic

2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Hello Ian,

I am ready to order the Led amber bulb. Just before I do that, do you also sell the resistors that are needed to make it work? International shipping to Singapore (postal code 587851)?

Cheers

Eddy

Post #84599111th Oct 2011 2:29 am
Ceekay

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Renton

Can you tell me where when and how you got the led strips? They look great, are they actually orange? What about fitting easy or difficult?

Any links would be good

Thanks, Keith
 D4 HSE Lux MY16 Club Waitomo
D3 HSE MY06 missing her still… 

Post #84706913th Oct 2011 4:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Renton

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Keith,

You need some flexible bright white Led strips. 3 Feet is enough. Something like this http://www.led-tape.com/single-colour-led-tape These come without double sided tape but if you google you can find something with tape. Or apply the tape yourself.
I placed the strip behind the orange reflector which I sprayed black, but they give an orange glow.

When you take the headlight unit apart you will find an extra bulb holder for the NAS D3's. You need to drill a small hole through the lens for the wiring to go through. Solder them to the led strip and connect the wires to the holder or the wires themselves.

You need the seperate the orange bit and the reflector. Heat it up well and then use a knife or something to seperate them. You can glue the reflector on top and bottom to the lens.

Be carefull when touching the chrome on the lens. Its very fragily and gets fingerprints quickly. Wear a pair of cotton gloves to avoid that.

Good luck and don't forget to post a piccie when your done.
Thumbs Up
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS  
Post #84719113th Oct 2011 8:45 pm
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

i want to change my sidelight lamps for led type .as they are fishtail style and therefore come out from the front does this mean ive got to do the full dismantle to do this or is there a simpiler way / rear access panel ?

any advise appreciated
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #84735914th Oct 2011 9:22 am
crwoody

No need to dismantle the headlight, there's a cap on the back behind each lamp for access, you still need to remove the headlamp unit from the car but that's only a quick job. (So long as you don't have lamp guards or a bullbar fitted.)
 Clive

Post #84736414th Oct 2011 9:38 am
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

should be easy then thanks for the nod Thumbs Up
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #84737014th Oct 2011 9:57 am
Ceekay

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Renton

Thanks for that pal but it may be a few weeks before i get to have a go. Was wondering if I could use an orange led strip behind the clear lens after removing the reflector to be honest but not sure if it would look neat enough without some sort of covering although the led's in the foglights are just basically glued to the front lens and they look quite good?

I take it you took the reflector out sprayed it and then re-fitted? What type of paint did you use and is it easy enough Because im not great with paint tend to get runs and it dry crap.

Anyway any thoughts would be good and hopefully I will get to it soon before the cold sets in.

Cheers, Keith
 D4 HSE Lux MY16 Club Waitomo
D3 HSE MY06 missing her still… 

Post #84753314th Oct 2011 7:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 9 of 26 <123 ... 8910 ... 242526>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >