Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Heat shield or dust covers?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Mr flibble

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3
Heat shield or dust covers?

I am getting a rattling noise while driving. It seems to be from the drivers side front, and I dont know whats causing it.

Iv'e had my head under and the heat shields I can get to all seem fine and I cant find anything loose, but its driving me nuts not being able to have the windows open.

The more I think about it, the more I dont think it is a heat shield on the exhaust, cos the noise is there under load and off load, but only while moving above 20-30 mph.

Any ideas guys?

Post #32136713th Jul 2008 5:32 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Is the 'A' pillar exterior trim secure?(either side of windscreen), these have been known to rattle or even blow off at higher speeds if someone hasn't refitted them properly in the past.

Post #32144013th Jul 2008 9:52 pm
ianv

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi,

If your mileage is up a bit then check the steering rod and and ball joints. There have also been a few worn steering column universals around. All of these can give hard to find rattles.

All the best

Ianv
 TDV6  
Post #32161414th Jul 2008 12:26 pm
Mr flibble

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

Sussed it, it looks like it was the brake dust cover on the drivers side front. Even though I found it to be quite secure( not loose in any way) when you tap it with your fingers in certain places it make the exat same rattle.

The dust cover seems to be hitting the brake disc at the bottom at certain frequencies.

I noticed when I had a closer look today, that the shape of the cover seems to be quite far away from the disc at the top, but goes in towards the disc about half way down and ends up only about 1mm away from the disc at the bottom.

Well it does on mine anyway, so I'll have to strip down the brake assy and find out if it is broke/bent/ or of LR design!!

How easy a job is it to remove the brake assy? Is it better to get a mech to do it. (I'll own up, I dont have a lot of free time as I am Self employed)

Plus I dont know one end of a screw driver from a hammer!! Embarassed

Cheers

Post #32182714th Jul 2008 8:13 pm
ianv

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Interesting, Checked my brake backing plates and they are the same as yours so I don't think you have damage. The may not be secured properly. If you don't normally work on you vehicle yourself better get someone to check this for you as you need to remove the brake caliper and disk assembly to check it out in detail.

Double check there are no rocks or sticks caught between the backingplate and the disk by turning the steering so that first the front then back of the back edge of the protector is visible from outside the wheel arch. Get a good amount of light in and have a close look at the gap between the backing plate and disk for any rubbish.

rgds

Ianv
 TDV6  
Post #32207415th Jul 2008 11:57 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >