Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Heated seat info required
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Your FBH is not working at the moment... makes a hell of a difference Thumbs Up

As I said above, by the time I'm out of the village (2 miles max) the heater systems flaps open and warm air emits. The heated seats are very good.

My Audi was OK, the BMW crap.

Post #23758327th Dec 2007 12:03 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

KoC, The Webasto timer is a reliable option for most, but in your case, unless you keep a permanent trickle charger connected to the D3, eventually your 8 minute journey times will ensure that you never have enough battery power to complete the 30 minute pre-heating cycle.

You mentioned that you had a petrol engined car that warmed up quicker. I'm not totally surprised - the TDV6 engine is remarkably efficient which is why it manages in my case to keep a nearly three tonne vehicle in the 28-30 MPG zone, and needs an auxiliary heater.

On one occasion when I'd accidentally left my FBH disconnected, it was minus 4 C outside and therefore didn't assist the engine in warming up. Whilst waiting in a stationary traffic jam some 3 minutes from my house, my temperature gauge failed to move out of the blue zone at all during the next 15 minutes - simply not enough surplus heat from the engine to get it hot. My old Volvo T5 petrol would have been toasty in well under that time, but that also explained why I was only getting 23-25MPG for half the weight of car.

Although maybe you could consider the trickle charger to prevent you getting spurious error messages at low volts (Transmission Range change unavailable / Special programmes unavailable - a real b Censored r in the snow), perhaps instead of the Webasto timer mod you could investigate something along the lines of the Kenlowe electric pre-heater? That would ensure the car was always toasty without bending your battery too much...
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #23758527th Dec 2007 12:04 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Also check that they have carried out this update to the vehicle

Quote:

TSB LA412-001

"A customer may report a concern that the heating and ventilation system performance is poor, with possibly one or more of the following symptoms:

The upper torso area is significantly colder than the lower body and feet area.
The outer cabin area (near the doors) is colder than in the center area of the cabin.
The cabin is colder than the set temperature.

Cause: The control module software is not providing adequate air distribution under all conditions.
Action: Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the Service Procedure detailed in this bulletin to update the control module software."

EDIT: there's also another TSB concerning the Hevac temperature sensor requiring insulation Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 27th Dec 2007 12:12 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #23758627th Dec 2007 12:05 am
simon

The temperatures we've had here, -6 one morning according to the temp gauge, have not affected the efficiency of the FBH and engine to provide warm air.

The TSB about the foam collar shield around the temperature sensor for the cabin (it sits behind the little 'coin slot' grill to the left of the steering wheel, is one that you should have checked out. That will make a difference for maintaining heat from the system.

Post #23758927th Dec 2007 12:11 am
philhunt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Cabin Heating

Thanks DG & Simon for the info. on the 2 Cabin Heating TSBs. I'll point the local stealer in the direction of these when they have the motor for the next 2 days to fix the FBH and other issues. I'll also provide them with 10's reproduction of the FBH diagnostic and repair stuff that he recently posted.

Very helpful to have the info. on the cause and solution to issues when dealing with the local stealer. Less likely to treat you as a numbskull and fob you off with a load of b Censored s as to why they can't quickly fix a known issue! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #23760727th Dec 2007 1:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

Let us know how you get on.

Post #23760827th Dec 2007 1:28 am
philhunt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Heated Seats etc.

simon wrote:

I will if Lookers Chelmsford get round to collecting it today!

They were supposed to collect the motor at 8.00am so got up earlier than necessary after a late night and I'm still waiting for them at 10.50. Big Cry

Post #23763727th Dec 2007 11:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4
Re: Heated Seats etc.

philhunt wrote:
simon wrote:

I will if Lookers Chelmsford get round to collecting it today!

They were supposed to collect the motor at 8.00am so got up earlier than necessary after a late night and I'm still waiting for them at 10.50. Big Cry

Phone them up, they forgot to collect the Saab and when I called to ask where they were, they started off by asking where the car was as they wanted to start work. They realised they had forgotten to send the guy out to collect it.

Post #23764727th Dec 2007 1:04 pm
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

I do a similar trip to philhunt, although a bit shorter.
Starting from cold, I have to drive around 10 minutes/6 miles before the heater is at a comfortable level.

If it's a cold day, I start the car about 10 minutes before setting off (FBH is working) and I get instant heat then from the heater.

I'm very tempted go and try the FBH timer combined with the GSM box and send the thing a signal 30-40 mins before starting the car. It's a bit beyond me to do the mod but I'm sure someone will be able to do this for me for beer tokens . Very Happy

Post #23765527th Dec 2007 1:43 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I would advise against driving the heated seats directly from an unlimited 12v power source, the ATCU uses the thermistor in the seats to control a PWM supply to the heater pads, simply applying power with no form of control would eventually cause the heater pads to fail at best and possibly damage the seat covering or base at worst...

Just buy the Mrs. some of this and plug her in! Wink

TazDaz - I can also offer a 433Mhz remote control option which works out at £100 less than the GSM module

Post #23768027th Dec 2007 4:37 pm
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

10forcash wrote:
TazDaz - I can also offer a 433Mhz remote control option which works out at £100 less than the GSM module

TFC - Really? sounds cool - why don't you post details of ALL your excellent mods (and costs?) to the Member to Member services? I'm sure thats allowed.

More than a few of us would be interested, I'm sure Thumbs Up

Can you post details for the remote FBH mod / costs please?

Post #23768127th Dec 2007 4:47 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Ken wrote:
How about starting it 10 mins before you leave (works for me)

Careful Ken, the Plod have nothing better to do that catch those car warming up criminals!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...ost129.xml

The world's gone even madder!

Post #23820529th Dec 2007 1:57 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Off Topic So when they leave their headlights and blue strobes flashing, "quitting" their cars with the engine running to make sure the lights don't make the battery go flat, they stop and hand themselves a £30 fine right?
What am I saying? Course they do! Just like they never ever use a phone whilst driving, or speed past schools Rolling Eyes
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #23832429th Dec 2007 9:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >