Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

HELP my passengers side is like the ocean
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
mzplcg

England 

Thinking out loud here, the US version would be L/H/D. So are the engine battery boxes reversed also? i.e. the box for the secondary battery which also houses the brake reservoir would be on the left hand side of the vehicle. If so, there is a large cavity behind that on mine with a couple of grommets, presumably for clutch bits on a manual. That cavity might be able to hold a small pool of water maybe. Although it would hardly slosh around, more likely one slosh and it would be gone.

Your watery noise comes from the passenger side (presumably the right) which has a similar cavity behind the fusebox which might be a candidate.

Below this you are into wheel arch territory and what lies up behind the arch liner. This is only held in with clips and screws so it's not going to be watertight enough to hold a pool I wouldn't have thought. Might be worth a look and see though.

The channel below the screen which is covered with the black trim (more visible with the hood up) might be worth removing. This would trap water if the drain off's were blocked and could allow water to work it's way down via the heater air intakes possibly. I'm fairly sure the hosepipe trick would have shown this up though. Having said that, the heater unit is to your right so it's the correct direction and there could be water in the base of the heater unit which might slosh around. Never had one apart so not sure on that but for sure, if it was this I would expect both front footwells to be wet.

The only other one which springs to mind might be the sunroof drain pipes but I doubt you would hear a sloshing from them.

I've never taken the dash far enough apart to see if there are any channels behind the soft bits which might be able to act as a vessel to hold enough water that it would make a sloshing sound but it would be the right place for a leak at the bottom of the screen.

If you can, why not take the carpets and underlay out and then go for a drive in the rain. This might help you trace the wet streaks back to the source.

Ah, one more possibility - remembering my old XJS days. Could the A/C drain pipes be blocked? You would be surprised how much water A/C fetches out of the air....and this would come in via the heater vents. XJS with blocked drains and a left hand corner = icy cold water all over the driver's feet.

There are so many possibles that I would be inclined to let the dealer take a look personally but then I'm lazy like that. I would have thought that warranty would cover it. After all, there's no mention of a "water feature" in the handbook. therefore it's out of spec. Having said that the warranty companies will argue black is white to get out of paying sometimes.

Not sure if all that helps but best of luck

Post #54290130th Oct 2009 9:32 pm
bigD

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

hello firck

any updates to the water leak

Post #54339431st Oct 2009 11:12 pm
firchk

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3

i did not get a chance to tear into the dash, however i did pull the trim on both sides of the windscreen to find that on the pass side near the top the alignment feature was broken and the hole had dirt built up around it ~ also the little foam washer was mia on the pass side ~ two of the clips were also missing the rubber washer ~ so i reinstalled all that with a small bead of sealant around each push pin hoping to seal them to the body

the other interesting part was under the cowl on pass side the were the fresh air vent is ~ there is a panel that is attached to the cowl ~ seems to prevent water from going straight into this vent ~ it was off and laying in the cowl area ~

so after fixing that and the side trim pieces i figured i would let that go for a bit ~ the other thing is, i am planning on getting a new cowl trim because the rubber portion that contacts the wind screen is pulled up a bit ~ this seems like if the vehicle is in motion that this may allow a stream to enter the fresh air duct ~ once i get that part in i am going to build a custom piece to better seal off the fresh air intake this is were i feel the water found it's way in ~ and to be honest it is a pretty Censored poor design

i am hoping that the water was coming from there ~ i still plan on pulling the air box out to check for damage

my neighbor came by to visit with me as i worked on the truck and he was absolutely stunned that there are so many issues with this thing ~ he was amazed that LR would not remedy the issue with so many having issues ~ he went on to tell me about a tsb that his toyota had that the dealer repaired free of charge at 105,000 miles for him

this is it for now ~ i am going to try and get the dash torn apart this week ~ i really want to know were the slooshing water sound was from

Post #5443292nd Nov 2009 4:17 pm
firchk

Does anyone by chance have an exploded view of the dash or pics from when they took it apart??

Post #5443842nd Nov 2009 5:47 pm
doddsy

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I had this problem after a windscreen was replaced. Water was running down the outside of the screen, under the plastic trim and into the filter box underneath, then down the back of the dashboard and dripping out under the glove box. put your hand up under the glove box, if its wet, then that's the problem. I fixed mine by removing the wipers and pulling off the outside plastic trim that sits on top of the outside of the screen and covering the lower half of the filter tray with duck tape to form a makeshift barrier against the water from above. It worked.

Post #55083913th Nov 2009 3:42 pm
tsultana

England 

I cannot believe ALL the people who write on this site, talking about what each others wife is doing this weekend and leaving a load of waffle to read through before we get to the crunch has not come up with a solution for this!. I have had the prob for over two years, posted questions and still no result. I have determined that the leak is coming via the airbox. Should there be a flap over this box, as logic shows that any water coming down the windscreen can go staright down into the footwell? I did have a windscreen replaced, any fixes people? Suppose I need to be ready for the fallout!

Post #55118214th Nov 2009 2:43 pm
firchk

THIS CRAZY ~ SO MUCH WATER!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

ok so now this is getting bad ~ we finally got a real rain storm and apparently what i though i solved wasn't the issue ~ before anyone lays into me why didn't i check it with the hose after the repair well I DID and there was no sign of water entering ~

so now i know it is only getting in during motion while raining

here is what i know

~ the sunroof drains are clear
~ the windscreen is sealed
~ the side trim on either side has a very good seal around all the push pins
~ the "deflector" under the cowl is in place
~ it is ALOT of water ~ the water level is higher then the floor mat this time

there is a gap in the rubber portion of the windscreen cowl and windscreen but certainly this is not a full seal ?? right

so a couple questions for you guys before i do something rash i would set in on fire but its full of water LOL

1 ~ are there floor drains or do i need to drill a hole ??? i haven't noticed any

2 ~ does anyone have an exploded view or a guide to removing the dash air box stuff on pass side ??

this is far beyond the deal with it type of issue ~ i have a bad feelings about taking it to the dealer but i may have to ~ it is amazing to me that LR does do something about this issue ~ these boards are filled with water ingress complaints they seem more common then any other issue ~ it is absurd that they can't help the worst cases

i am planning on a few more try's to find the leak then i guess it is to the stealer with a high limit credit card as i have a bad feeling they are going to charge a small fortune to correct it

Post #5592802nd Dec 2009 3:12 pm
dave m2

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

firstly hi everyone i,ve just signed on to try and help you guys out i,ve had exactly this problem for some time fortunatly for me i know a nice man with a bodyshop who agreed to have a look for me, after a few long hours removing the roof lining and various other bits of trim followed by 1/2 an hour under a hosepipe still no leaks but had to open the door to let the water run out of the passenger side! next we looked under the bonnet removed the trim along the bottom of the windscreen, that was when we noiticed a large amount of water down behind the battery so battery removed we could see the problem,behind the battery is a small well area where a large amount of wires pass through the bulkhead which was somehow full of water, the plastc battery tray can be removed in parts, so we removed the r/h piece and cut one of the corners away to allow any move water to drain away and not build up any more after a quick rebuild followed by a night in the oven to dry the carpets my cars dry as a bone even after the last fortnight or so's rain and my car lives outside.
sorry for the long story hope this is of help to some of you.

Post #5594612nd Dec 2009 8:32 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Bow down Bow down dave.

1 post.... and what a belter!!!!

nice work!!! Bow down Bow down
 one wife.......livid  
Post #5594742nd Dec 2009 8:53 pm
firchk

I hope that's it ~ i'll pull it apart this afternoon to check it out

thanx I am keeping my fingers crossed till then

Post #5594942nd Dec 2009 9:19 pm
firchk

update !!!!

first off i must apologize for the poor quality pics

So i didn't have a lot of time to work on it plus it was dark so after vacuuming out a gallon of water from inside the car

i pulled out the battery and found water pooled in the bottom of the tray the grommet in this pic seemed like it was in place fine

this grommet actually was pulled out quite a bit ~ i was unable to fully seat it ~ i think i will need to take it apart and move the harness to get it seated ~ there is a lot of pressure on the grommet from the cable

so i will be trying to dig deeper into it this weekend ~ where is the water suppose to drain to??

Post #5596593rd Dec 2009 6:32 am
dave m2

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

gald i've been some help to you folks it's a nice feeling when you get to the bottom of this little problem, any how i dont think theres a drain for the water in there i just dont think its suppose to get in there in the first place all i did was cut away a small corner from the left hand piece of the battery tray down in the bottom corner so water cant pool up in that little well that L/R carfully designed in there to keep the electrics nice and cool!!!!

Post #5605734th Dec 2009 7:29 pm
firchk

the area i am holding water is all metal though ~ not in the tray exactly but behind it towards the firewall ~ it is all metal down there ~

it must have been that way for a while to the paint is peeling off and there is light rust ~ looks like it holds alot there

~ it is going to be pretty cold weekend for Houston(it is actually snowing here) so i guess i will have to wait till the next to take it apart

thanx for the help !!

Post #5606124th Dec 2009 9:30 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

is it worth adding this thread to stickies for this issue? believe it's not the first time this has happened?
 one wife.......livid  
Post #5607155th Dec 2009 10:44 am
firchk

Still floating after all these years

My wife loves to go to the beach and let her feet hang in the water ~ but it's funny i didn't read this as an option in the brochure ~

so after a downpour this weekend i opened the passengers door to find a waterfall ~ seriously standing 3 inches of water !!!!

so i looked under the hood and noticed the grommet had poped out that i talked about above so this time it was refitted with a health dose of silicone

after letting that cure for some time i went to check place the hose on the roof and look ~ full flow into the cabin ~

the water cascades in on the wiring harnesses under the passengers kick panel ~ from the volume of water it must be a large hole ~ from looking under the hood i can't find any places that it can make it in

please someone give me some ideas !!!! I can't see up inside the dash to see where it is coming in ~ if anyone has ideas please post i am at my wits end

on a side note ~ the path of some of the water was down the windscreen over the cowling past the hood seal onto battery cover then the battery cover guided perfectly to the grommet underneath ~ this also allowed flow to the box housing a controller diff control or terrain response or something (i found water inside there too ~

to remedy this i sealed the gormmet and controller boxes with silicone ~ then took a piece of fuel line and split it with silicone on the end of the battery cover ~ this guides the water to the side were it ca drain away from wires and controllers

there was definitely some water traveling via the grommet but there is more coming from somewhere else [/i]

EDIT: does anyone have pics of the firewall on the right front under the fenders so i can look for possible areas that it is getting through ??

Post #65000017th May 2010 3:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >