DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

High mileage gearbox mega flush
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Dave907shark

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
High mileage gearbox mega flush

Hi everyone

I have spoke to Geoff today about flushing my gearbox. Very nice guy and knows his stuff. I was just wandering how many people have had this flush done with high mileage I'm at about 160,000 and have had the juddering and hunting for a while I was just wandering if anyone has had this problem with this kind of mileage and if the flush helped. Thanks to Geoff again for taking my call and look forward to meeting him.

Many thanks
Dave

Post #151671917th Aug 2015 2:47 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If your symptoms are quite bad, then I wouldn't expect it to relieve you of the need for a new torque converter, though it may delay it. Either way, it is essential that you get the fuid changed one way or another, before it's too late for the rest of the box. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #151672117th Aug 2015 2:54 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

At 160k, I'd expect a gearbox flush to make things worse for you (without knowing the history of the car)
It's its previously had an oil change the right side of 100k, it will increase the boxes chance of survival

At that sort of mileage, endorty oil will have been circulating for a long, long time, causing untold damage, which will only become apparent when the new oil pushes all the old crap out of the box/TC...

However, it may be just fine. I don't flush high mile boxes any more, unless the customer insists on it being done, and the risks have been fully explained.

It's a few hundred quid for a potential fix, instead of £2.5k for a gearbox rebuild Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Last edited by Disco_Mikey on 17th Aug 2015 3:31 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #151673917th Aug 2015 3:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lost for Words

But there's no way out, surely, if that's the case, is there? Question
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC

Post #151674317th Aug 2015 3:30 pm
geoff.

England 

LFW

mikey is correct in what he's saying theres a risk on hige milage vehs and this needs to be pointed out Thumbs Up

Post #151674517th Aug 2015 3:34 pm
Disco_Mikey

It might cure it, it might not.

There is no way to tell, other than experience and educated guesswork

I have seen (and replaced) gearboxes with less miles than that with major issues
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #151674617th Aug 2015 3:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lost for Words

geoff. wrote:
LFW

mikey is correct in what he's saying theres a risk on hige milage vehs and this needs to be pointed out Thumbs Up

Indeed, and not suggesting otherwise, only that it's either too late or it isn't - if a flush will cause issues, then a gearbox replacement/refub is inevitable. I suppose, in those circumstances, it might be more convenient to wait (or to try and fob it off to someone else) though. Thumbs Up

Post #151674817th Aug 2015 3:46 pm
Dave907shark

Ok thanks guys for the input. I have the symptoms I know of. But I forgot to ask Geoff after our quick talk if there is any signs that this might be a pointless task. I have the juddering but only when I boot it, and the hunting has become more apparent over time. Also from our discussion earlier when Geoff mentioned fault codes in the box would this turn my engine warning light on or is this a seperate ecu?
Thanks again everyone I'm not looking for someone to tell me if I should get it done as I appreciate now this can come with a risk but just trying to gauge if it is money worth spending. Thumbs Up

Post #151675217th Aug 2015 3:59 pm
Lost for Words

The transmission ECU is indeed separate. It would not illuminate an engine MIL on your dash...since you don't even have one! You might get a tranmission fault message on the screen, but I don't know that this would be guarenteed. You're in safe hands with Geoff anyway. Thumbs Up

Post #151675617th Aug 2015 4:11 pm
Disco_Mikey

IME, even if there are no fault codes stored beforehand, it is no indication that the box will survive

As said before, it's a few hundred quid on a possible fix, as opposed to a few grand if he gearbox needs rebuilt. How lucky do you feel? Whistle Laughing
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #151679817th Aug 2015 6:32 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I can only talk from personal experience ... the judders may be due to the Torque Converter coming to end of life due in part to the ATF service schedule specifying too long a time between changes. Mine was replaced and 60k miles later, all is well (famous last words) with the autobox.

So, if you can catch the problem early enough, I do wonder if you can avoid a complete autobox rebuild and just replace the TC.

I will be changing my ATF every 70k miles and will ask Geoff to do it with his flushing machine.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #151679917th Aug 2015 6:34 pm
geoff.

England 

as mikey says fault codes are no indication ,colour and smell of oil plus how the veh drives is a better indication but with these milages theres no way we can really tell.

I've looked at transmissions with 80 k on them and they have been knackered but then again I've flushed at 170k and there still running strong 2 years down the line Thumbs Up

we can only flush the box we can't send spanners down the lines and repair a broken gear box Thumbs Up

Post #151686017th Aug 2015 8:24 pm
Disco_Mikey

Barn1e wrote:

So, if you can catch the problem early enough, I do wonder if you can avoid a complete autobox rebuild and just replace the TC.

Yes, hence the service intervals of 50-75k miles, as specified by ZF themselves
By flushing at these intervals, it keeps the oil clean, and minimises wear and tear on the gearbox and TC internals

In keeping with the gearbox manufacturers service intervals (which specify an OIL FLUSH, not an oil change...) you will not suffer any potential future gearbox issues Thumbs Up

Are you listening D4 owners? Whistle

I, personally, will be doing my own new gearbox every 30k. Small price to pay in relation to a new gearbox and any other issues found while replacing it Big Cry
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #151688917th Aug 2015 8:59 pm
Disco_Mikey

geoff. wrote:
LFW

Geoff, im glad you took my comments in the context they were intended Thumbs Up
I was a bit concerned about posting that...
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #151689017th Aug 2015 9:00 pm
Dave907shark

Ok thanks again for the input on this matter. I didn't want to seem like an old woman I'm just trying to get my head round things I will just have to wait and see what Geoff says. Thanks again

Post #151759419th Aug 2015 4:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >