Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

HVAC issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Saaboteur

Canada 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3
HVAC issues

I believe this is my first post. New-ish to this forum, but not to cars or car forums in general (I have a C55 AMG, a Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi, and a 997 Porsche), as I like to wrench on my cars as much as possible. Our 06 LR3 4.4 HSE is my wife's primary vehicle. Currently over 213,000km, we bought it at around 82,000km in late 2010.

Executive summary is that I'm getting some really weird functioning with the HVAC controls after swapping in salvage actuator motors and a new heater core. Passenger (the right side on LHD vehicle) seems to be fine with temperature control; however the driver's side doesn't get heat. Rather it's functioning like opposite of what should occur - when I put it to full heat, instead the feet vents shut and it goes to full windshield. Put it to full cold, and the feet vents open.

Full background - this past summer I bled the coolant system, put in new coolant hoses. Tried to put in a new heater core, couldn't get it to seal, so ended up putting the original back in. All seemed fine. Fast forward to early December. We were out running errands, I went into the store, wife and girls stayed outside with the engine runner. I came back and my wife reported that there was no more heat. Started driving home and then saw engine water temperature peak. Came home and no coolant in the reservoir. Filled it, bled it (with Airlift system) and it was fine again.

Several days later, same issue. Swapped out thermostat and bled again. Engine temperature now fine, not more overheating, but no heat inside the car at all. Suspected the original heater core finally had enough. Put in a brand new heater core. Decided to also swap in salvage actuators at the same time. Purchased a complete set from an LR4. Part numbers are different, but what appear to be date stamps show they are three years newer, and outwardly look like identical Denso units to the originals.

Swapped in four actuators - the left and right blend motors (the two lower ones), plus the two others up higher - on the left side, this is the face/feet motor, on the right it's the windshield motor.

I have most of the kickpad and centre console out, so I can see the motors at work. The left side temperature blend motor does not seem to move at all. Removing the blend motor itself, I can manually manipulate the flap though.

I'm nearly at wits end. I thought that I might have somehow mixed up some of the connectors, but there's no way I could mix them up from side to side. Maybe mixing up the left side blend motor and the face/feet motor, but the face/feet motor seems to function properly when I play with the buttons (and I can see it moving).

Any suggestions?

Post #21099772nd Jan 2020 6:25 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

Did u calibrate them , also do u know 100% the salvage actuators are working , alas don’t know if the D4 actuators are the same as D3 , others will know

Plus this one of the motors is different between a RHD and LHD ???

What parts number have u got please on the motors

There’s a few threads ref this

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/disco-3-tem...85501.html

https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...ors_v2.pdf https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...ors_v2.pdf

Also a quote ref the motors self test

With the HEVAC try this to reset the actuators that control the heat:

Next step is the self test.

With ignition off press and hold the ECON & RECIRC buttons whilst turning ignition on (no need to start car).

The control module will then compare the current HEVAC actuator motor positions with the values stored in the module and will indicate an error by flashing the ECON LED.

If there are no errors, the LED will go out and the system will function normally.

To confirm that there are no errors, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, then back to the ON position.

Observe the operation of the programmed defrost LED.

If there are errors present, the programmed defrost LED will flash and the system will attempt to calibrate itself.

Post results on here!

Last edited by gstuart on 2nd Jan 2020 6:46 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #21099792nd Jan 2020 6:34 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AMrv...mp;o=OneUp

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AMrv...mp;o=OneUp

Plus when the fault first appeared was there any diagnostics done with a reader

Hope that helps Thumbs Up

Post #21099802nd Jan 2020 6:39 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

If you are loosing coolant, you need to kmow where from

Do these have an electric pump under the bonnet, to pump the heater circuit? Brush failure in these motors is common, resulting in lack of heat at idle inside

Post #21100712nd Jan 2020 1:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >