Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 4

Should I or shouldn't I? Interior colours.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Stingray

Wales 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4
Should I or shouldn't I? Interior colours.

Spending too long on this forum, and thinking about buying a D4, and need some help coming to a conclusion!Having owned a 2005 (05) D3 HSE since new, I am now on the verge of ordering a D4 HSE to replace it. It has been totally reliable, virtually trouble-free, and I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing! My 'old' car is Tonga with Tundra interior, which is a combination that I love, but no longer available. I particularly like the Tundra interior, which is complimented by green/grey plastics, black carpets throughout, and black plastics in the rear compartment. This, among other things, (including the price to change) makes me want to keep it!

The nearest interior now is Almond, which I was very keen on, but having been to two dealers today, and seeing it in the flesh, I am now rather disappointed, and find it rather too rich in colour, especially as the carpets are now light as well, and even the plastics in the rear compartment are Almond. As a result, if I do change, I am thinking of going for the Ebony interior this time, which I think looks rather classy, and I seem to have changed my views about the interior being too dark, which is what I had previously thought.

Any thoughts on interior colour practicalities and looks?

My current thinking is Buckingham Blue or Santorini Black, Ebony interior, Grand black lacquer, 20" wheels, full size spare, and one or two other extras. Any opinions out there on privacy glass? Good or bad?

Anyone looking for a D3 HSE in excellent condition? FLRSH, twelve months MoT, low rate road tax (pre Apr 2006), but just renewed for twelve months anyway, and will have it's five year service before sale. Offers?

Should I or shouldn't I?

All feedback appreciated.

Ray

Post #63773618th Apr 2010 6:59 pm
NJF

Come over to the dark side and you can have Ivory leather in your RRS. Whistle

Post #63774118th Apr 2010 7:06 pm
Stingray

NJF wrote:
Come over to the dark side and you can have Ivory leather in your RRS. Whistle

Oh no, more options! Confused

Post #63774718th Apr 2010 7:11 pm
Supercharged

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I have Ebony leather and it looks great and stays that way!
 Paul

D4 HSE Zermatt Silver / Ebony 

Post #63782818th Apr 2010 9:07 pm
cte

Wales 

Stingray - mine's an all black one with privacy as you can see in my gallery. I think the privacy really suits it and I had it factory fitted. My other options were ipod lead, full size spare, adaptives ( as I had them on my D3) and heated steering wheel.
Carwyn

Post #63789018th Apr 2010 10:02 pm
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

I've got the light interior and I actually really like the way it goes all the way through now instead of having random bits of black plastic! I do recommend the darker contrast trim round the dash and windows though - not only sets it off nicely, but I suspect has rather less reflection now the sun has appeared. It seems to be staying pretty clean inside too - given most of the dirt is from the former gravel pit where we sail, this actually shows up rather less against the sand coloured carpet than the old dark carpet. I've seen a couple of black and black D4s and it does look a tad sombre to my eye.

Regardless, do go for factory fit privacy glass, and piano black trim looks 8)

Martin

Post #63800019th Apr 2010 8:22 am
misheemee

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

We were debating between black/almond and grey/ebony. I was worried that the ebony would be too dark. We went with a black/almond D4.

About a month after we ordered our D4 and were waiting for it, we changed the order to grey/ebony. We got our D4 last week and haven't looked back. 8)

I LOVE the ebony interior. It has a very modern, luxurious feel to it. Because the interior roof of the D4 is light grey, it doesn't feel dark or closed in at all!!!

Post #63807319th Apr 2010 11:13 am
Stingray

I am getting more and more keen on the black interior, and quite excited by the idea of Santorini/Ebony as a complete change from my current car.

Carwyn: I like the look of your car. Are the wheels 19" or 20"? To what extent does the privacy glass affect the lightness of the interior?

Martin: I take on board all of your comments about the Almond interior, can see that in some ways it will not show the dirt too much, and in many ways I agree with you. I also take your point about the black being a bit sombre, but I still like it!

Thanks for the comments guys, keep 'em coming!

Ray

Post #63831419th Apr 2010 6:54 pm
mowog

Australia 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

I have Rimini and Almond combo.

I find the black interiors to be a bit dull because there is no contrast.
 Discovery 4 SE Long range fuel tank Kaymar Rear Bar.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood
Mini JCW Clubman
Lotus Trooper Off Road Caravan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mowog/ 

Post #63841219th Apr 2010 9:08 pm
cte

Wales 

Ray - mine's a standard 19 inch wheel. reference the privacy glass I don't feel it makes the inside dark as I've got so much light coming in through the Alpine roof anyway. I'm a real big fan of privacy and would recommend it.
Carwyn

Post #63844919th Apr 2010 9:47 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Stornaway and Almond with privacey. No issues with keeping clean even with two young kids, we all love it.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #63845519th Apr 2010 9:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jamesbond007

Portugal 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Or mix both:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 The older I get, the better I was.

Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto (BAS remap) after Defender TD4 110 Crew Cab and 1964 SIIA 88. 

Post #63860320th Apr 2010 11:03 am
D4white

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: Should I or shouldn't I? Interior colours.

Stingray wrote:
Spending too long on this forum, and thinking about buying a D4, and need some help coming to a conclusion!Having owned a 2005 (05) D3 HSE since new, I am now on the verge of ordering a D4 HSE to replace it. It has been totally reliable, virtually trouble-free, and I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing! My 'old' car is Tonga with Tundra interior, which is a combination that I love, but no longer available. I particularly like the Tundra interior, which is complimented by green/grey plastics, black carpets throughout, and black plastics in the rear compartment. This, among other things, (including the price to change) makes me want to keep it!

The nearest interior now is Almond, which I was very keen on, but having been to two dealers today, and seeing it in the flesh, I am now rather disappointed, and find it rather too rich in colour, especially as the carpets are now light as well, and even the plastics in the rear compartment are Almond. As a result, if I do change, I am thinking of going for the Ebony interior this time, which I think looks rather classy, and I seem to have changed my views about the interior being too dark, which is what I had previously thought.

Any thoughts on interior colour practicalities and looks?

My current thinking is Buckingham Blue or Santorini Black, Ebony interior, Grand black lacquer, 20" wheels, full size spare, and one or two other extras. Any opinions out there on privacy glass? Good or bad?

Anyone looking for a D3 HSE in excellent condition? FLRSH, twelve months MoT, low rate road tax (pre Apr 2006), but just renewed for twelve months anyway, and will have it's five year service before sale. Offers?

Should I or shouldn't I?

All feedback appreciated.

Ray

Ray the best advise i could give is take the car for a drive. The power and smooth drive will keep you happy regardless what interior you choose. I have to admit i chose the black interior and when i picked the car up i was not too happy with the look of the centre console being grey. i could not help looking at it and thinking i had made a big mistake or not looked into choosing colours correctly. Then i got in and drove it home and love every bit of the car including the interior colours. I liked the black as i go mountain biking and climbing and not too clean when i get back to the car.
I had a Freelander 2 before this and it was only 2 years old. I had sports body kit on it and 19" wheels and i also had the door handles titanium colour. I loved the car and really struggled on how i was going to be happy with a new car.
I know you have a D3 which is better than the Freelander 2 but i think you will be nicely surprised at the difference and should just go for it.

Post #63885420th Apr 2010 8:24 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Don't be frightened off by the light coloured interior. It looks scarily light in photos or in bright car show rooms. But in the real world it is actually very practical and a beautiful thing. The very slightly brown tone to the leather and carpets actually makes it look good dirty. Especially when that dirt is mud from dogs, wellies and assorted outdoor gear. The hairs from our Choc Labs is a perfect match.

Its like a carpet in your living room. You wouldn't want a black carpet, black wall paper and black seats (would you ?) but a light brown carpet is actually very practical yet pleasant to live with.

Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #64050924th Apr 2010 7:41 am
Stingray

Thanks for all the replies. Still not sure what to do, but no great hurry, so I'll take my time and make the right decision eventually!

Ray

Post #64092125th Apr 2010 7:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >