Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Inconsistent braking....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
MJIbex

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

The most important thing to avoid in my opinion with brakes on any car is - when driving quickly, or towing heavy loads, don't sit at a standstill with your foot on the brake (you concentrate the heat in the pads to 1 point on the discs - encourages warping). Hence I always use the handbrake (when stationary) if I've been heavy on the brakes.

Regards Mark.
 Gone: 2010MY 59 plate Bali Blue HSE.
Also gone : 2012MY 12 plate Firenze Red HSE.
In Bits : 2005 55plate 4.0 V8 Ibex 250s SW. 

Post #132760521st Aug 2014 7:37 am
al cope

England 

I come off the pedal as early as I can, and use P when stopped, but have never had this issue with any other car we've had in the family in all the time I've been driving, only the last D3 and this D4 (and on the D3 new discs fixed it and it never came back, unlike on the D4 which is doing it agian)

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #132795321st Aug 2014 8:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dave T

England 

Luckily I've not had this problem yet, still on my original set at about 26k miles. What sort of milage have people found the need to replace pads, and I'm assuming discs don't need doing at the first change?
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #132796521st Aug 2014 8:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
al cope

England 

So - car back from dealers once again after brake shake, intermittant braking and rubbling under high speed braking, and now another set of discs and pads fitted today, so this year, now on:

Front - set number 4 of discs and pads
Rear - set number 3 disc & pads

After dealer consulting LR techies for two days, and various tests being done - they think the front hubs are part of the issue, so new hubs on order, and its back in a weeks time to have these replaced.

The view is its disc run out, but if it was the hubs, I'd have thought I'd have wheel wobble all the time at higher speeds, and I've none, its only under braking. They've checked the other items listed on the LR TSB about brake shake, even though my VIN is outside the range covered in the TSB, and say these bits are OK.

Given the weird pulsing feeling when coming to a stop, to my mind this is more likely to be Disc Thickness Variation (DTV), and surely thats not caused by the hubs, but the disc material/quality. These are genuine LR Brembo discs.

The saga goes on - Pete @ LR custy services also involved.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #134449219th Sep 2014 6:20 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Barn1e wrote:
Similar problem on MX5 which was down to a faulty calliper.

I went through your frustration on the MX5. When the calliper was finally replaced because it had finally stuck, I could not believe that had been the problem all along.

When the pads and discs were changed, the calliper was checked and it all seemed ok, but wasn't. Mine was a front calliper, which made sense because that is where most braking occurs. The pulsing sensation was just as described.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #134487020th Sep 2014 1:55 pm
al cope

England 

I've asked about the calipers, and dealer recons they are all OK.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #134512921st Sep 2014 11:49 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

It this the same dealer who has changed so many discs and pads….?
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #134514121st Sep 2014 12:14 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

al cope wrote:
I've asked about the calipers, and dealer recons they are all OK.

Al

I asked the dealer about my callipers and even took the pads and discs out myself and checked the piston moved ok, but it was still sticking/failing. At one point I was convinced it was the ABS because it felt like a slow application of ABS (pulsating).
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #134515821st Sep 2014 12:47 pm
al cope

England 

yes Robbie - its the same dealer, who has also been talking with LR techies.

Dealer can only do what LR tell them is OK to test/do under warrenty.

Lets see how it goes once hubs replaced.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #134521521st Sep 2014 4:32 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

I am not a betting man, but I would place a tenner on calliper!
Post #134530921st Sep 2014 7:43 pm
al cope

England 

must be two calipers then, as rumbbling is caused by back brakes, vibration and inconsistant braking by fronts! All very strange

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #134631523rd Sep 2014 8:44 am
LHD

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

my caliper was rear-left and caused vibrations at 50-60mph which made me think it could be a wheel coming off.

you will either feel the vibe through the steering wheel or through your seat.
 Discovery 3 Manual as PDF | Blackvue 500 | BAS Remap | Mates did South America in a Landie

Post #134669523rd Sep 2014 7:26 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

I fear that I may be leading you on a wild goose chase with a calliper but here is a better description of my experience:
- hard breaking at speed, it felt like vibration
- as I slowed, but still braking hard, it felt like the brakes went on and off very quickly
- the final slow down to a stop, felt like a warped disc
- driving with light braking, felt normal - just noticed it on final slowdown

Good luck in the search. It took me over a year to find cause of my problem.
Post #134670423rd Sep 2014 7:35 pm
LHD

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

as per Barn1e, what I can say is rolling slowly to a stop indeed felt like a warped disk - don't apply the brake hard but allow the car to go slow on medium brake and see if there is a pulsing.

my vibration would go away at speed but if I braked then it would return.
 Discovery 3 Manual as PDF | Blackvue 500 | BAS Remap | Mates did South America in a Landie

Post #134705324th Sep 2014 12:28 pm
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

My symptoms have not gone away completely,but are vastly reduced by employing the method suggested by mik earlier in the thread.....I was convinced I had warped disks (having had them before) but now I'm not so sure....I think it's what seems to be known as 'pad material transfer'....I haven't had a chance to try the procedure for a second time,but my syptoms as so reduced that I'm not taking the car to the dealer now.A sticking caliper is of course,a whole different problem from the one I originally posted Thumbs Up
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #134705624th Sep 2014 12:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >