Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Inconsistent braking....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Riccarton Disco

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I had two of these issues on my D3.

First the vibration / judder at speed (not braking) along with pulsing when braking to a stop.
This was a rear calliper sticking and the extra heat generated caused the disc to warp slightly hence the pulsing. New calliper fixed that one.

Later on I got judder / pulsing during braking but at no other time. New discs / pads cured it for a few months and then back again. Genuine pads / discs fitted again and a few months later the problem came back yet again.
This time I thoroughly inspected the discs and there was no run-out or warping but there was areas where pad material had stuck to the disc. So, using a flap wheel I gently remove all contamination and put it all back together - problem gone and it didn't return.

My humble opinion is the first discs were ruined by the caliper issues plus they had done 70k. The next sets were getting long enough to work harden / stabilise plus washing the car caused corrosion on the surface which grabbed material off the pads causing a "sticky" bit. Once cleaned up enough time had elapsed and they became stable.

Just a theory you understand but a Carlsberg type I hope Very Happy

Post #134705824th Sep 2014 12:45 pm
al cope

England 

well mine just had both front hubs replaced, (discs and pads replaced all round just over a week ago) and must say that even on the journey home from the dealers, braking felt smoother. Only time will tell.

fingers crossed
Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #135041330th Sep 2014 5:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
motolite

Australia 

I've recent noticed some inconsistent braking in the last few metres before a complete stop. Maybe all the slow driving around town is to blame? I'll keep an eye on it when we have the camper trailer out over the next few weeks. Great Ocean road here we come Thumbs Up

Post #135059630th Sep 2014 9:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >