Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Instructions on access to glow plugs required
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Instructions on access to glow plugs required

Just having a look a look at the D3 started removing parts to gain access to glow plugs looks like oil filter needs removing & air breather box ? I've had a look on the forum can't find anything so as a few on here have done this any help would be appreciated many thanks

Post #15252336th Sep 2015 1:01 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

So few have done it because they tend to snap off!
Search it's all out there and it aint pretty Shocked

Post #15252376th Sep 2015 1:28 pm
stephenw46

One way or another they are coming out I've got three of the six gone so all six will be replaced but was just having a strip out to see what was required for access and it looks like oil filter and breather box so was trying to find out if any parts ate required ie o rings new filter etcetera but one way or another they are going to be changed for the winteris on its way

Post #15252436th Sep 2015 2:09 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Your brave doing the plugs as people have had no end of troubles removing them,, when you remove the middle breathers etc and are refitting them Id personally use some RTV on the rubber O seals when refitting them to stop any future oil leaks etc.

Should you need something to help the car start in winter with didge glow plugs this will help.

https://secure.bellautoservices.co.uk/stor...activated/

Regards Pete

Post #15252446th Sep 2015 2:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

+1 for the bas fbh box. Great in winter Thumbs Up

Post #15252466th Sep 2015 2:30 pm
stephenw46

I know all about the remote fuel burning heater & if I keep the D3 I'll get one & a remap off Pete but unfortunately I've got OCD when it comes to my cars as people that see her can't believe she's 8 years old so they will be done even if the heads have to come off

Post #15252486th Sep 2015 2:40 pm
brightyuk

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Stephen,

I found a vibration tool was useful took me 6 hours to vibrate 5 out 1 broke which I bought a tool to drill outpatiently heads didn't need to come off.

Adam
 Vehicles
2016 D4 Landmark Indus Silver
2005 D3 HSE Silver
Detent Circlip 'How to Guide'

Post #15252676th Sep 2015 3:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MGCarr

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Stephen

I have just spotted your thread and you have quite possibly already replaced your glow plugs, if so I hope that everything went well, I am in the middle of replacing the glow plugs on my 07 plate, 08MY Euro 4 Discovery. I have so far got 5 out of the 6 out relatively easily, weather permitting I will be having a go at the last one tomorrow, this is the rearmost one on the N/S cylinder bank and it looks like I need to remove the HPFP in order to get straight on access to the glow plug with my impact wrench.

I have possibly removed more components than strictly necessary but my time costs me nothing and I find having as clear an access as possible helps when doing a delicate job like this. So far I have removed the following items :-
1 Engine top cover
2 Shroud over the cooling fan
3 Top air intake hose and MAF unit
4 N/S metal EGR pipe
5 Y shaped air inlet that connects the N/S and O/S inlet manifolds, O/S EGR pipe disconnected
6 Top, side and half the bottom of the box on the O/S that contains the ABS unit
7 Steel pipe that connects the two EGR coolers
8 All of the fuel pipes from the HPFP (low and High Pressure)
9 Pipes to the fuel/oil cooler
10 Electrical connectors to the various sensors and the Glow plug harnesses in the middle of the V
11 Oil filter top cover
12 2 breather pipes
13 Lifted the Air/oil separator as far as I could and removed the Glow plug looms
14 Disconnected the sensor wire to the HPFP
15 Manoeuvred the air/oil separator out - very tight!

I then removed 5 glow plugs using a Milwaukee M12 CID cordless impact wrench, this has a low setting that is electronically limited to a torque of 19 Nm, just below the rated breaking point of the glow plugs, plenty of penetrating oil and a couple of minutes rattling with the impact wrench and the plugs spun out cleanly. At this point rain stopped play Sad Note; you need an extra deep 1/4 drive 8mm socket in order to get onto the Hex head of the glow plugs, Steve at Advanced Factors can supply these if you have not already got one.

The glow plugs that have come out so far show very little carbon build up even on the ones that I know have not been working since about February when I first noted some cold starting problems. This may be down to luck (rare when I am dealing with Land Rovers) or due to some preconditioning I did during the summer knowing I would be replacing the glow plugs before the cold weather returned. in June I treated the engine with Ecotek Power Boost (www.ecotekplc.com) which is a foaming product that you spray into the air intake pipes after the MAF and claims to clean the combustion chamber, valves, etc of carbon and varnish deposits, more recently I added 500ml of Redex diesel fuel system cleaner to, as near as I could judge, 50 litres of diesel in the tank and consumed the vast majority of it on a long motorway run from Preston to Heathfield, which was taken reasonably briskly, I then used Esso premium diesel for the next two tanks of diesel including towing the caravan up into the Peak District. Straight after the second tankful was used up I started stripping the car. I have to be honest and say that subjectively I did not notice any change in the running of the car with any of these treatments and I have no objective method proving which, if any, did any good but my glow plugs came out of a 150,000 mile engine nice and clean.

Photos to follow when time and weather permit.

1997 Defender 90 for the kids and I to have a go at some competitive off road RTV and Tyro trials, daughter picked up her first trophy over the August Bank Holiday.
Previous Land Rover history
1996 P38 4.6 V8 Autobiography
1996 Discovery TDi 300
1972 Range Rover 3.5 V8
LWB Hard Top Series 3
LWB Truck Cab Series 2A
Not been without a Land Rover for over 40 years - I must need therapy! 

Post #153408124th Sep 2015 1:15 am
armalites

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Well done getting 5 done, if the 6th one looks like it may not come out I would be more than tempted to cut and run with 5 done but also if 5 have come with care and patience then you would hope the 6th will do the same.

You have acheived something that has cost some people £2K+ due to body off etc.

Thumbs Up
 IID PRO
MSV Extreme
Nanocom One 

Post #153414024th Sep 2015 9:15 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

When you posts the pics could you take some micrometer readings of the tips and the upper part of the shaft?

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #153414324th Sep 2015 9:18 am
MGCarr

Armalites, thanks for your kind words, SWMBO did not believe me when I told her the sort of money I was saving doing it myself but believed it when I showed her your post Rolling Eyes Your suggestion of leaving the last one was probably a good one as getting the HPFP out proved quite a challenge but it eventual gave in and all 6 glow plugs are now out and before DSL chimes in with "no pic it didn't happen"

Engine bay with everything I thought necessary to remove except the HPFP

Rear glow plug on the N/S bank showing it's proximity to the HPFP

Rear view of the HPFP with the Torx fixing bolts back in place just in case it helps someone else find these bolts by touch, bit size is T45.

New NGK glow plug alongside old Beru plug.

Robbie

I have measured the diameter of the glow plugs at the tip and at the point approximately halfway along just before where the Beru plugs taper to a wider section

Tip dia Top dia Resitance
1 3.44mm 3.39mm 2.2 M Ohms
2 3.49mm 3.33mm 2.6 M Ohms
3 3.26mm 3.36mm 1.0 Ohm
4 3.28mm 3.36mm 1.0 Ohm
5 3.49mm 3.36mm 1.0 Ohm
6 3.28mm 3.32mm 1.0 Ohm
New 3.49mm 3.49mm 1.6 Ohms

1997 Defender 90 for the kids and I to have a go at some competitive off road RTV and Tyro trials, daughter picked up her first trophy over the August Bank Holiday.
1996 Discovery TDi 300
1972 Range Rover 3.5 V8
LWB Hard Top Series 3
LWB Truck Cab Series 2A

Post #153463424th Sep 2015 10:20 pm
MGCarr

Just a couple more pictures which hopefully might help anyone else considering replacing their glow plugs or having to replace a high pressure fuel pump.

The first is of some tools that you might not already have in your tool kit which, although possibly not the only solution, I found useful in progressing the job.

From left to right these are

1) a deep 8mm socket, this needs to have a clearance of at least 7.8 mm diameter for a depth of at least 18.8 mm in order to fit over the head of the glow plug.

2) a 3/8ths drive 'wobble ended' short extension and T45 Torx bit, this is needed because access to one of the rear mounting bolts on the HPFP is partially blocked by a metal engine breather pipe.

3) a remote hose clip clamping tool makes getting the clamp off the hose to the oil separator off a doddle.

Elsewhere on the forum Disco-mikey suggested trimming 1/4 of an inch off the two long pipes on the oil separator makes getting it back in easier - I am grateful for that suggestion as I have absolutely no idea how it would have gone in without. In fact I found that cutting a little off the end of the tapered locating lug for the rear pipe helped further.

1996 Discovery TDi 300
1972 Range Rover 3.5 V8
LWB Hard Top Series 3
LWB Truck Cab Series 2A

Post #153535826th Sep 2015 1:16 pm
stephenw46

Is this the impact gun required ?

Post #153579127th Sep 2015 11:53 am
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Bow down Great work MGCarr Bow down
Now, when are you free to do mine Whistle

Post #153580227th Sep 2015 12:16 pm
stephenw46

I posted on the site & found out that everyone was to rich they didn't want the job so I've got the glow plugs new oil filter just waiting for a reply on the correct Impact gun then I am in the hands of the gods Rolling with laughter

Post #153580827th Sep 2015 12:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >