Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

iPad mini install (with a difference...)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Russs

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
iPad mini install (with a difference...)

Hi all, just thought I'd share my iPad mini install in the D3, something I'm really happy with…

First up I cut the cubby box out with a hack saw, with some info gathered off the forum, and made up a plastic bracket to mount an iPad skin, which the iPad slots in to.

I then bought a Monster iCarCharger and ripped it apart, fitting the music controls to the blank panel near the hand brake. I though this would be the best spot as it means I can skip songs without taking my eyes off the road.

After installing I realised that the charger was only for iPhone, and it couldn't keep up with the power hungry iPad, so I bought a monster iPad charger (higher amp output), cut that up and replaced the power component of the iCarCharger.

I cut out a bit of one of the centre air con vents to allow room for the charger, which is an apple 30 pin to lightning adapter, again busted apart and bent 90 degrees.

The iCarCharger has audio out, so this is plugged into the aux input of the stereo for music.

The "difference" in my install compared to others I have seen is that the iPad unlocks and locks with the ignition, rather than having to swipe to unlock it when I turn the car on, and having to remember to lock it when I turn the car off. This is thanks to the iOS7 jailbreak that became available around christmas.

With the iPad in the dash, I have all my music at my fingertips, was well as a plethora of options in the way of navigation - on and off road. At the moment I am running Sygic turn-by-turn nav, and Memory Map for topo maps when off roading.
 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, rear air, e-diff, EGR blanks, ARB bull bar, Tracklander roof rack, Blue Tongue compressor installed, GNVP adjustable height rods, 285/60R18 LTZ, D4 tow hitch, iPad mini install, plasti dip wheels & badges, lights, lights and more lights  
Post #12119965th Jan 2014 8:43 am
Heath_DA

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Impressive, I like it Thumbs Up

Post #12120025th Jan 2014 9:17 am
ubp_sanity

Canada 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

I like it as well, any pics of a completed install?

Now, you're just going to have to get the BT IIDTool and get the app for it onto the iPad..

Post #12122025th Jan 2014 4:37 pm
Downhiller

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

memory map on ipad is the danglies Thumbs Up Thumbs Up so cheap!!! and has never let me down. Ive used it all over Scotland and Wales for Greenlaning etc, with no GPS signal problems. Have you seen the incredible reduction in map prices on their site? All due to an enormous drop in the OS licence apparently. I haven't done an install like your cos I want to move it between vehicles. I reckon if LR did something like what you have done as a customer option it would do well.

Post #12122105th Jan 2014 4:50 pm
Dave

United Kingdom 

That is a fantastic install Thumbs Up

Post #12122355th Jan 2014 5:28 pm
Varks

United Kingdom 

Hi, I am thinking of fitting my iPad mini 2 into my discovery, I don’t suppose it’s possible to get a copy of the 3D cad file for the rear cradle is it? Yours looks like the neatest fit I’ve seen, I’ve picked up a spare console surround to mock it up with, also once I have carried out the jailbreak, is it easy to sort the settings out to bypass the input code and to get it to auto wake when ignition is switched on?
Cheers bud

Post #21857449th Nov 2020 8:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >