Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

It's all James W's fault !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
SteveKK

Ukraine 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Hardware wrote:
Box might be limiting ... I have some Cat5 cable in the garage, PM me your address and I'll start stretching it out.

Some definite throttling going on there, but that Cat5 cable will only guarantee speeds up to 100Mbps Wink . Only ~110Mbps upload is very poor for fiber. I blame the ISP and I don't get why they supply asymmetrical services over fiber*.

This is my Gigaclear 300Mbps service. As a IT techie who downloads and uploads big files (multi-terrabyte) this is currently plenty, but can be upgraded to their 900Mbps service via an email or phone call.

Regards,
Steve
*This is a fiber optic cable installed inside my house that connects to the internet backbone only over fiber optic cable. Not to be confused with "fiber" broadband as seen on TV with speeds "upto" 80Mbps, or Virgin Media "fiber" which is a copper coax cable. <rant>

Post #221676811th Mar 2021 12:07 pm
SteveKK

Ukraine 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

James W wrote:
But I have to raise a CEO complaint for TalkTalk to even think about calling out BTOR. When they can't find anything as it's intermittent, they won't carry on, I have to go back to square 1. And I have to start another CEO complaint to get a case handler who seem authorised to escalate to BTOR. And this all takes time and patience that is not worth the £21.99 a month 'cheap' internet.

James,

Maybe a bit late, but could AAISP help?

Regards,
Steve

Post #221676911th Mar 2021 12:11 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

See how BT get on. I've heard good things about A&A. I know some on here use them.
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - WTF does this button do 

Post #221677511th Mar 2021 12:43 pm
GLYNNE

England 

Our saving grace was a couple of new builds (unheard of here) which legally had to be offered Fibre forced BT to run it up our road.
BT still didn’t advertise the fact it was now available, strangely, so luckily as I knew I pestered them for the connection Very Happy
Originally BT offered it to our small amount of houses if we all paid £15000 each Shocked

Post #221679611th Mar 2021 1:42 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

SteveKK wrote:
Hardware wrote:
Box might be limiting ... I have some Cat5 cable in the garage, PM me your address and I'll start stretching it out.

Some definite throttling going on there, but that Cat5 cable will only guarantee speeds up to 100Mbps Wink . Only ~110Mbps upload is very poor for fiber. I blame the ISP and I don't get why they supply asymmetrical services over fiber*.

This is my Gigaclear 300Mbps service. As a IT techie who downloads and uploads big files (multi-terrabyte) this is currently plenty, but can be upgraded to their 900Mbps service via an email or phone call.

Regards,
Steve
*This is a fiber optic cable installed inside my house that connects to the internet backbone only over fiber optic cable. Not to be confused with "fiber" broadband as seen on TV with speeds "upto" 80Mbps, or Virgin Media "fiber" which is a copper coax cable. <rant>

Yup, the fibre is terminating inside my home - and yes, the asynchronous nature of the line is a mystery but it's all that BT offer on retail. I'm sure there's a marketing reason in there somewhere.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #221679911th Mar 2021 1:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >