Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 4

Joined the D4 Club
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
TallPaul

United Kingdom 
Joined the D4 Club

On the left, D4 HSE in Zermatt Silver with 30 miles on the clock, on the right D3 HSE in Java Black with 26K miles on the clock.

One is owned by Enterprise rent-a-car, the other has two dead EGR valves, is stuck in limp mode and un-driveable and is owned by us. Can you guess which is which? Rolling Eyes

Hats of to LRA though, dealer (Lancaster Reading) was supposed to do EGR Tuesday with MOT but had to re-book to 27th, it was ok (slow, dodgy sometimes from junctions) but loaded up for sunny day run to tip with garden waste and the odd bit of junk and made it all of 20 yards before realised engine light was on and it was going nowhere! (foot to floor should not get you 1500 RPM, slowly!). Can't live with no car until 27th so called LRA (2 weeks left on warrenty!) guy came out an offered to reset error codes, could not see how that got us a reliable car so said no thanks.

Anyway Enterprise called, had a Disco for us, just in so would be Disco 4. "Just in" meant when the guy came to pick me up it had 18 miles on it, its 8 miles from Enterprise Reading Shocked

Anyway, shame about crap dealer service (EGR not spotted at service 3 weeks back Rolling Eyes ) but at least get to try a D4.

Its a nice drive, coming from a D3 with EGR valves that must have been faulty for months it seems really sprightly of course, but I would say you can feel the difference in the suspension (unless its just the 20" rims make it firmer?).

They are pretty nice by the way, shame Enterprise would notice if it came back with half worn 19"s on it!

I like the interior, its a lot more plush, makes the D3 feel like a Defender almost in its functional nature! Not sure about the new leather, lovely to slide into in a suit on a monday morning, not sure I would be so happy getting off the mountain bike onto it on a Saturday afternoon. Have to fit daughters child seat for SWMBO as well, bit worrying in brand new £50K motor in case it marks the "premium leather"!

All the little tweaks, like the LCD display between the dials are nice, the accent lighting, the keyless entry etc, but there is a lot that's still D3 I can see.

Can't quite get used to those rear lights though.

Not quite to my taste, I know its due to the LED's but the lack of red lenses over the LED areas:

Make it a bit messy, I am sure I could live with it if they told us to keep the D4 and took the D3 away though Whistle

Also, not quite sold on the bumper, it looks really plasticky in Zermatt silver, with the black insert:

There is a stronaway grey D4 around the corner from us though that looks lovely, so I think its the bright colour that makes the black insert, and the plastic moulding shape at the sides stand out.

Would I buy a D4? Yes it seems to be a fantastic motor and the styling I don't like so much is outweighed by that which I do, grill, lights, colour coding etc.

Will we chop in our D3 soon? Not with dealer suggesting £20K price gap, and that £750 road tax no...

I can see why all you D4 drivers have super-wide permagrin though Wink

Post #63458911th Apr 2010 8:46 pm
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Yep permagrin it still is, had to go up to Aintree and back last night..........

Odometer turned over 10,000 miles on the way back, averaged 78 mph including nearly 20 miles of M6 at an enforced 50 mph. fuel avearaged at 27.1 and that was 4 big guys and their kit on-board.

Truely, utterly, brilliant Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #63460911th Apr 2010 9:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >