DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Just what you want after a 14 hour night shift. C0034-14
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jamez79

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
Just what you want after a 14 hour night shift. C0034-14

Hi,

On my way home this morning at 9am having completed a 14 hour night shift and all of a sudden I get a 'Dynamic stability not available drive with care' message on the dash. I then get an ABS light and warning that 'emergancy brake assist not available', followed by parking brake fault and the suspension dropping to access hieght for "safety".

Imagine my pleasure at seeing all these lights when all I can think about is going to bed for a long nap!

Anyhow, I've plugged the IID in and got the following fault codes:

C0034-14 (AB) - Front right wheel speedsensor - General electrical failure - Circuit short to ground or open

C0034-25 (E8 ) Front right wheel speed sensor - General signal failure - signal shape/waveform failure

U0415-00 (2B) Invalid data received from ABS control module

U0415 - 00 (2F) Invalid data received from ABS control module

P2159-02 (2F) Vehicle speed sensor B - range/performance - General failure information - general signal failure

A couple of weeks back, my "Brake pads low" warning came on the dash. I'd been keeping an eye on the front pads (rears were done a while ago and all okay) so thought I must have hit the sensor so better get them done ASAP. I had the discs and pads in the garage ready so swapped them over. The sensor didn't look worn, but the warning is still on the dash so figure i've worn through it and have ordered a new one. The pads weren't that low, but changed them anyway.

Can anyone shed some light on what I need to be checking (photos if possible please)?

A search suggested it could be a failing battery? The IID showed 12.2v ign on and around 14.5v with the engine running. It didn't show any drop on cranking but I shall try with a multimetre in a bit.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jamez79 on 19th Feb 2021 5:33 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #221203019th Feb 2021 4:38 pm
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Certainly not what you need at anytime of the day, but definitely not after a 14 hour shift!

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along in a minute, but could it be the brake switch on the pedal?
 Andy

Post #221203819th Feb 2021 5:15 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Checked your front wheel bearings?

Post #221207819th Feb 2021 6:57 pm
BenRK

United Kingdom 

I had the speed sensor errors on my back right wheel. I had to replace the abs sensor / speed sensor ( same thing I think) and all was good. Got the parts from euro car parts

Post #221208819th Feb 2021 7:24 pm
jamez79

Hi,

At around £30 (according to Google) for a speed sensor, it's worth starting there first then. Thumbs Up

Was only Mot'd in December so would've thought they'd clock a failing wheel bearing? I shall jack it up and check though.

Is it just a case of leaving it in neutral before turning the engine off so I'm able to spin the wheels or is there a trick to it?

Cheers for the help. It is much appreciated.

Post #221218120th Feb 2021 7:50 am
BenRK

United Kingdom 

Well basically I had the same as you, error messages and car dropping down to it's bump stops. My diagnostics app told me there was an issue with the wheel speed sensor.

I checked the live values and my back right wheel showed constantly at 0mph where the others were giving accurate readings. So I went on euro car parts and got one for about 25 quid.

Fitting it was dead easy, was one bolt to take out then the sensor wobbled out. It was clearly damaged and looked like the old one had worn down and was just knackered. The new one went in no bother but didn't seem to fit as snug but put it in anyway and all was good.

Now my love data shows all wheels with accurate speeds. If you need anything drop me a pm with your number

and I'll WhatsApp you of you like.

Post #221223320th Feb 2021 11:26 am
lynalldiscovery

jamez79 wrote:
Hi,

At around £30 (according to Google) for a speed sensor, it's worth starting there first then. Thumbs Up

Was only Mot'd in December so would've thought they'd clock a failing wheel bearing? I shall jack it up and check though.

Is it just a case of leaving it in neutral before turning the engine off so I'm able to spin the wheels or is there a trick to it?

Cheers for the help. It is much appreciated.

My front wheel bearing was good one day, yet two days and 300 miles later it was dead, so much wobble car got all grumpy as air gap kept changing, did get me the 10 miles home though so I forgave it!
Britpart fitted by selling car dealer, made all of 15k Shocked

Post #221225420th Feb 2021 12:26 pm
lynalldiscovery

BenRK wrote:
Well basically I had the same as you, error messages and car dropping down to it's bump stops. My diagnostics app told me there was an issue with the wheel speed sensor.

I checked the live values and my back right wheel showed constantly at 0mph where the others were giving accurate readings. So I went on euro car parts and got one for about 25 quid.

Fitting it was dead easy, was one bolt to take out then the sensor wobbled out. It was clearly damaged and looked like the old one had worn down and was just knackered. The new one went in no bother but didn't seem to fit as snug but put it in anyway and all was good.

Now my love data shows all wheels with accurate speeds. If you need anything drop me a pm with your number

Can we have some images of the probes needed for love data Mr. Green

Post #221225520th Feb 2021 12:26 pm
jamez79

Love data Laughing

Cheers for the help. I'll check the live values too then and see if that gives an indication as to if it's the sensor or hub. Hopefully get it jacked up later today or tomorrow.

Thumbs Up

Post #221227220th Feb 2021 1:31 pm
BenRK

United Kingdom 

lynalldiscovery wrote:
BenRK wrote:

Can we have some images of the probes needed for love data Mr. Green

I have an autel ap200 obd adapter that has the option to view live data if that's what you mean?

Don't think it's fancy enough to show you any love date Laughing

Post #221229320th Feb 2021 2:59 pm
jamez79

Right, it's raining here so not jacking it up today as don't fancy getting soaked. I did however plug the iid tool in and check the live data as BenRK suggested.

It's showing 0 on the front right and equal speeds on the other three wheels. I'm guessing it'll be that sensor then? If it was the hub, would it show a reading but intermittently or something as things went in and out of alignment?

Cheers for the help.

Post #221231720th Feb 2021 4:29 pm
jamez79

Don't suppose anyone has a part number for the front ABS sensor on a D4 MY2012? My saved web link to the lrcat doesn't seem to work?

Cheers

EDIT: Think I found it..... LR013783P1 ?

Although Eurocarparts only seem to sell the rear sensor. Just my luck Laughing

Post #221252821st Feb 2021 10:25 am
Fifth Horseman

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

LR013783 is the correct part number.
Available from site sponsor Advanced Factors

Post #221256721st Feb 2021 2:40 pm
jamez79

Found the cause, blooming worn through the cable. Must have dislodged form the clip. Soldered together whilst waiting for the part to arrive so at least it's ok for now.

Cheers for the help folks.

Post #221308823rd Feb 2021 1:00 pm
BenRK

United Kingdom 

Glad you got it sorted mate. Hopefully a nice cheap fix for once.

Post #221309123rd Feb 2021 1:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >