Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Knife crime deaths ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
al cope

England 
Knife crime deaths ?

Can’t remember if this has been covered before……….

So on NYE another youngster lost his life to a stabbing, which will be devastating to his family for the rest of their lives.

There seems to be no deterrent to those who carry and are prepared to use knives. They either don’t know/understand/or care about the consequences of their actions. The question of why this is could take an eternity to unravel (bad education/poor parenting/video gaming/lack of morals/etc/etc)

So what, even as a short term action could be used to get folks to stop and consider their actions.

Could/should capital punishment be reintroduced, even for a limited period (say 2 years) as a shock measure. And made to be “immediate”, i.e, if you are found guilty of knife murder, it’s clear cut you did it, no ambiguity, you get 30 days to appeal, if after this this you are still guilty, then next morning its a walk to an appointment with a short rope ( no “humane injection to go to sleep”), even the type of execution has to invoke people to think about what might happen if they commit murder.

I am not in general a supporter of capital punishment but right now we don’t seem to have an answer to what’s happening.

This isn’t an invitation to get flamed, more to try and see what an answer might look like

Thoughts

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #23574302nd Jan 2024 10:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Trailered Movements

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

I'm in for that, however, murder is murder whatever the 'method'.

There is the crime of manslaughter that might escape hanging, but yes, a rope for murder would seem to be a deterrent only the thickest idiot would not understand.

Dave
 2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago) 

Post #23574312nd Jan 2024 10:21 am
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Is the death penalty really much more of a deterrent though?

It seems to me that anyone who is prepared to gamble with spending a long period of their life incarcerated at his majesty's pleasure wouldn't find being put to death as much more of a deterrent.

I'm all for it though, my taxes feeding them 3 times a day grates a bit.
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #23574352nd Jan 2024 10:49 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

There should be mandatory jail sentence for anyone carrying a knife regardless whether it is for ‘self protection’…. Minimum term one year extending to five years for a second offence…
If it’s a machete or sword then a straight five years!

Post #23574372nd Jan 2024 10:58 am
HWN

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

It's a cultural/race thing. There, I've said it.

"For my own protection". Not having a knife in a world were everyone else does puts you at a disadvantage.

Like most of my friends, I received a sheath-knife for my tenth birthday (i.e., 1980). At the weekends, we would all be wearing our knives on our belts and be out in the woods. We'd wear them around the town, too, and nobody raised an eyebrow. We knew not to muck about with them in any way and that there would be serious consequences if we did. Pen-knives were acceptable at school. No Policemen wore stab vests.

Knife amnesties and "Stop and Search" are a good start. The penalties are already very stiff. A couple of times I've found a Stanley knife I'd left in my car or an Opinel folding knife in my pocket - both of these could get me in serious trouble. I have a couple of 12" knives in my garage. I no longer really need them but can't think of a way to get rid of them without grief. I'm sure the technology will soon exist to detect knives carried by people walking down the street.

That said, the Eritreans attacking each other and the Police used sticks to do so!

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2006 RRS - C'est mort. Fin...  ...It's alive!  Oh no, it's not - scrapped.
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
2017 RamRod Taskmaster 1150
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #23574382nd Jan 2024 10:59 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I was stabbed in a fight at Uni in 1990. A party I was at was crashed by the Crusties that used to invade Stonehenge in their vans before heading down to Glastonbury to cause mayhem and chaos there. It was all before it became a middle class love in.

Anyway, I had just come back from a four week attachment with the Army (I was sponsored through Uni by the Royal Engineers) and had spent a week training in close quarter and unarmed combat with the RAF Regiment. It came in very useful, but I still got stabbed twice, however the tw4t who did it spent over a week in hospital. The odd thing is that you don't feel the stab, it's more of a punch.

Anyway, since then I've been very conscious of the rise and willing abandon that kids and young men carry, threaten and use knives without and thought of the consequences. It seems to be the first default in an argument to stab the other person, often over the most trivial things.

It really is time the government got a grip of this through education, out of school activities and really hard and painful sentences.

I'd start at (with no parole):

- Two years for carrying a concealed knife.
- Five years for a machete, sword or hammer. Also, five years if caught carrying again.
- Twenty years for manslaughter or using it in aggravated crimes like robbery, burglary or being caught a third time etc.
- Life without parole for murder.

Hopefully this would stop things and take those off the streets that are just societal oxygen scavengers.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #23574422nd Jan 2024 11:46 am
al cope

England 

Does stop and search really work, not convinced it does as even if caught carrying it’s a slap on the wrist. And sentences for murder, i.e life in prison doesn’t mean life. A 25 year sentence with parole seems to be about 13years, so someone sent down at 16 or 17 is only about 30 when they are released, so can go on to live their lives.

But prison is “after the event”, so what deterrent can be put in place to try and halt this activity beforehand.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #23574432nd Jan 2024 11:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Trailered Movements

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

If by merely carrying a weapon that could cause death, which would emcompass most weapons, there was a fixed penalty which amounted to a custodial sentence for which there was no early release, say 3yrs, those that leave home equipped would know the consequences.

Should that weapon be used to intimidate, then the sentence should be 5yrs, and if actually used, then the charge would be a minimum of attempted murder.

If jail terms given in court were to be served in full with no parole or early release options, only then might it start to hit home the consequences of ones actions.

That would also rely on judges handing out sentences that justify the crime, and if the rule book needs re-writing, then so be it, but at the moment being locked up for a couple of years does not serve as a deterrent, it seems to carry some sort of 'badge'.

Dave
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)

Post #23574472nd Jan 2024 12:30 pm
Trailered Movements

And another thing, anyone convicted of any offence more than once, has that sentence doubled, tripled etc., etc.

I know it would mean more prisons, but think of the employment it would generate, it's a win win.

As for funding, criminals and families of them if on benefits, should be made to pay for their stay in prison, if not all, then something.

You have to hit hard and cause real pain and suffering to those that transgress for it to have a lasting effect, slapping their wrists and telling them they are bad people just doesn't work in todays society.

Dave
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)

Post #23574482nd Jan 2024 12:40 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Trailered Movements wrote:

There is the crime of manslaughter that might escape hanging, but yes, a rope for murder would seem to be a deterrent only the thickest idiot would not understand.

Dave

However, in America statistics show that states that have death penalty laws do not have lower crime rates or murder rates than states without such laws.

So would it really work as a deterrent in the U.K.? I suspect not.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #23574532nd Jan 2024 2:36 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Any sane, logical, person would recognise jail as a deterrent.

Any sane, logical,person with a knife would not be carrying it with intent to commit crime.

Many of the perpetrators are Censored persuaded to do the crime by slightly brighter, ultimately more dangerous, individuals.

I'd concede this is a cultural problem but it's not a racial thing.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #23574582nd Jan 2024 3:49 pm
Trailered Movements

In general, the Americans are a frightening people, happy to have any Tom, Dick & Harry buy a semi-automatic gun, they also are by and large not as educated in right and wrong as you may think.

Short of culling an entire family of any convicted murderer, there would appear to be nothing that would make most of them think twice before taking lethal action, even then I doubt it would make much difference.

To use America as an example of just about anything is just not to be considered plausable, I mean, their history only goes back to last Tuesday, and is based entirely on the removal of an indigenous people and the imposition of values that many find offensive.

Having worked with them for many years, some of their values are beyond what many an intelligent, informed individual would consider acceptable.

And should any American take offence at these comments, I don't tar all with the same brush.

Dave
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)

Post #23574602nd Jan 2024 3:57 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

HWN wrote:
A couple of times I've found a Stanley knife I'd left in my car or an Opinel folding knife in my pocket - both of these could get me in serious trouble.

You can have a knife if you have reasonable cause to have it with you. I have a small Opinel in my shooting gear - it's useful when shooting and so carrying it is reasonable (and I have a shotgun with me, so the knife wouldn't be the first issue for Plod). Having it my pocket in Sainsbury's, however? That'll be a "no" to the "reasonable grounds" excuse.

I have a nice US-made sheath knife too
Click image to enlarge

But it's too nice to risk losing out in the field and, frankly, too much knife for my needs when after game birds anyway. Ideal if I was after deer.

Quote:

I have a couple of 12" knives in my garage. I no longer really need them but can't think of a way to get rid of them without grief.

Hand them in at a Police station. Go in and ask if you can hand in a couple of knives that you found at the back of your garage when having a clear out. They will be happy to take them away. Best to go and ask first, of course, as walking in carrying 2 big knives might get a more forceful response than you would like.

I did this with an old air rifle I found in a cellar of a previous house. Went in and asked at the Police station and they were happy to take it away. And they thanked me for not scaring them by walking in with it without first checking with them.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #23574612nd Jan 2024 4:05 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

LT wrote:
Trailered Movements wrote:

Dave

However, in America statistics show that states that have death penalty laws do not have lower crime rates or murder rates than states without such laws.

So would it really work as a deterrent in the U.K.? I suspect not.

If one looks at UK statistics, the murder rate fell during the time when capital punishment existed but climbed after it was banned:

1901 - 341 murders, 32.5m population, 1:95,300
1931 - 287 murders, 39.9m population, 1:139,000
1961 - 265 murders, 46m population, 1:175,500

1991 - 725 murders, 49.9m population, 1:68,800

https://www.murdermap.co.uk/statistics/hom...istorical/

So there could be argument that it would work in the UK. Statistics being a malleable tool, of course.

The murder rate is currently the same as it was in the 1980s having peaked around 2002.

Bear in mind that lots of murders are still carried out within families - kids stabbing each other is a tragedy that hits the headlines much more than the domestic deaths that occur every week. About 10% of murders are young people being stabbed. There are racial and gender differences in the numbers. 40% of all murders are by stabbing of some form (that's quote shocking but perhaps not surprising when one considers domestic violence and the ease of laying hands on a knife in the home).

Quote:

Homicide returned to pre-coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic levels, with 696 victims in the latest year; this is 130 more (a 23% increase) than the year ending March 2021 when government restrictions meant there was less social contact.

The homicide rate was 11.7 per million population, with the rate for males (16.9 per million population) more than twice that for females (6.6 per million population).

The homicide rate over the three-year period to the year ending March 2022 was 39.7 per million population for the Black ethnic group, approximately four times higher than for the White ethnic group (8.9 per million population).

Approximately 4 in 10 homicides were committed using a knife or sharp instrument (282 homicides); a 19% increase compared with the previous year, and the highest annual total since the Homicide Index began in 1946 (similar to the previous high of 281 in the year ending March 2018).

There were 69 homicides victims aged 13 to 19 years, of these, 51 were killed by a knife or sharp instrument.

There were 134 domestic homicides in the year ending March 2022, 18 more than the previous year, and a similar number to the average over the last decade (129).

Males accounted for 72% of homicide victims in the latest year, and 93% of convicted suspects.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationand.../march2022
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Last edited by RRSTDV8 on 2nd Jan 2024 4:38 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #23574642nd Jan 2024 4:27 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

I've thrown large kitchen knives in the recycling bin before now.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #23574662nd Jan 2024 4:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >