DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Leak in EGR system - how to seal?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
lycros

Germany 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Leak in EGR system - how to seal?

Hello,
after only reading in this forum for a while, i am now required to post myself and ask for help from the community as i could not yet find an answer to my specific problem.

Last week my Disco 4 MY14 3.0 SDV6 started to create problems. It now has roughly 208k on the clock.

I parked the car normally in the evening and the next morning the engine would start, but almost immediately die directly afterwards. After a while i managed to get a fault code with the IID tool: P0105-16, leading me to replace the MAP sensor.

A few days later, new sensor installed, the engine started well and the car ran smoothly. However, after driving for a while, i got the "Reduced Power" light in the dashboard. This happened when driving uphill at 2500 rpm upwards. When i parked the car, I got the P006A-00 MAP/MAF correlation error. So this lead me to thinking, it must have something to to with the secondary turbo or the air intake system for that.

I read a dozen stories of a cracked inlet manifold and how a pain that is to replace yourself. Luckily I got proof of the previous owner that the inlet manifolds were replaced about 40k km and about 3 years ago.
I could also not visibly see any crack in any hose, manifold or throttle body. Therefore i decided to get a smoke tester to find a potential leak.

I found that the system is leaking where the LH Vacuum EGR Cooler Bypass Actuator is located:

Click image to enlarge

Could that be the cause of the error messages i am getting? It would make sense to me that this results in a MAP reading that isn't expected based on the MAF reading...

Did anyone already had a leak in that postition as well? Is this sealable? I am hoping so because otherwise it would mean a replacement of the whole EGR unit, wouldn't it?

Another thing that i found online regarding my symptoms, was that the throttle body valve likes to be stuck, so i decided to take the throttle body off, check the valve and give it a nice clean. It was a bit dirty, but not too bad, i would say. Where the EGR pipes fit in, however, it was quite dirty, so i cleaned that as well. The valve opens back up, when i push it down, although when pushed down a bit more, it stays closed. Is it supposed to be opening automatically also when pushing it down quite far?

While i ask here for help and do more research i put everything back together and did a smoke test once again. Now the connection of the EGR pipes to the throttle body is leaking on both sides. That was probably to be expected, as there was no o-ring or seal in between. How do i manage to seal these connections? There is hardly any room for a gasket so that the clamp goes back on. Could i use some sort of fluid high temperature silicone sealant?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Any help and further ideas are much appreciated!

Matt

Post #235952520th Jan 2024 6:16 pm
Carl and Petra

France 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

I have sucessfully used " Rescue Tape" to mend a split hp steering hose. I would put money on this sealing that join.

Post #235956120th Jan 2024 11:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >