Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Low Coolant Level Warning Light
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
pjgraham86

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4
Low Coolant Level Warning Light

The coolant level warning light came on about 10 days ago or so on our D4. The tank appeared to be at least three quarters full but i topped it up to near full anyway. The light came back on briefly at start of next journey and then disappeared so i thought all good.
A week later the light came on again. Level didn't seem to have dropped at all but this time i filled it right up. Fingers crossed on next start it will be OK.

I assume that if the light comes on again that there is probably a faulty sensor ?

Thanks

Post #22225155th Apr 2021 1:01 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Yes common fault, you need a new header bottle.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #22225165th Apr 2021 1:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pjgraham86

Thanks Flack mate. I've now searched the site (which i should have done before posting!) and it seems it's the float. Does replacing the header bottle sort that ie there's a new float in the new header bottle ?

Post #22226115th Apr 2021 8:18 pm
G3Z

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yes, nee float and sensor on a new bottle normally. Buy from a reputable dealer - I.e one of the site sponsors like Advanced Factors.
 Defender 110 2.4 TDCi Utility Station Wagon.

2007 Disco 3 GS TDV6 Manual
200,000+ mile club 😎 

Post #22227346th Apr 2021 1:48 pm
FidoNick

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Flack wrote:
Yes common fault, you need a new header bottle.

Flack Thumbs Up

Is this common on the D3 also? Sounds very similar to what I've been experiencing.

Post #22227456th Apr 2021 3:12 pm
G3Z

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yup!
 Defender 110 2.4 TDCi Utility Station Wagon.

2007 Disco 3 GS TDV6 Manual
200,000+ mile club 😎 

Post #22227466th Apr 2021 3:13 pm
FidoNick

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up Neutral

Post #22227476th Apr 2021 3:17 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

Just replaced mine last week. The video I watched online showed a D4 without a FBH so there was a LOT less room than I expected!

I removed the front grille and passenger headlamp to give more access. I had a big drip tray underneath to collect the coolant that will inevitably escape. I also bought some remote (cable operated) hose clip pliers which were really useful for the bottom hose, in fact I'm not sure I could have done it without those. I used a mini quik-clamp for the top hose and a pair of long nosed mole grips for the bottom (my hose clamp wasn't big enough)

There is a small hose at the top and a larger one at the bottom. There is also a sensor wire that plugs onto the bottle, towards the bottom on the side. You can't just pull it off, you have to pop up a wire 'circlip' on the plug before it will come off.

I took the filler tube for the washer bottle right out. The brake fluid reservoir unclipped and pushed to one side.

It took me half an hour and the hardest bits were simply manoeuvring the old one out without losing 'too' much coolant everywhere and also making sure the bottom hose is pushed on far enough on the new tank as by this point it's wet and also you don't have much room to play with once it's clamped off. When you remove it, there will be spillage (unless anyone tells me I've done it wrong) but it doesn't empty the whole bottle at all, especially if you extract quickly. I had to replace about 0.5l
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #22227526th Apr 2021 3:42 pm
pjgraham86

G3Z wrote:
Yes, nee float and sensor on a new bottle normally. Buy from a reputable dealer - I.e one of the site sponsors like Advanced Factors.

Thanks mate

Post #22229127th Apr 2021 9:10 am
pjgraham86

James W wrote:
Just replaced mine last week. The video I watched online showed a D4 without a FBH so there was a LOT less room than I expected!

I removed the front grille and passenger headlamp to give more access. I had a big drip tray underneath to collect the coolant that will inevitably escape. I also bought some remote (cable operated) hose clip pliers which were really useful for the bottom hose, in fact I'm not sure I could have done it without those. I used a mini quik-clamp for the top hose and a pair of long nosed mole grips for the bottom (my hose clamp wasn't big enough)

There is a small hose at the top and a larger one at the bottom. There is also a sensor wire that plugs onto the bottle, towards the bottom on the side. You can't just pull it off, you have to pop up a wire 'circlip' on the plug before it will come off.

I took the filler tube for the washer bottle right out. The brake fluid reservoir unclipped and pushed to one side.

It took me half an hour and the hardest bits were simply manoeuvring the old one out without losing 'too' much coolant everywhere and also making sure the bottom hose is pushed on far enough on the new tank as by this point it's wet and also you don't have much room to play with once it's clamped off. When you remove it, there will be spillage (unless anyone tells me I've done it wrong) but it doesn't empty the whole bottle at all, especially if you extract quickly. I had to replace about 0.5l

Thanks James - appreciate the detailed tutorial. I think on balance I'd be happier going to my local (well regarded) indy for this.

Post #22229137th Apr 2021 9:12 am
pjgraham86

It's occurred to me that since we have LR extended warranty on the car I should explore whether this might be covered. I know that if i phone the dealer they will not commit (understandably) and will want to have the car in to confirm issue. Currently bookings at the dealer are 3-4 weeks away !
Anybody care to opine whether they reckon the new header bottle will be covered ?
Thanks

Post #222425813th Apr 2021 8:31 am
James W

United Kingdom 

My MotorEasy policy only covered the specific components listed explicitly as:

Cooling systems:
Engine cooling water & oil radiators, heater radiator,
thermostat & housing, temperature gauge, viscous
cooling fan couplings and water pump.

Anything not specifically listed isn't covered, so they wouldn't cover the header tank. I did wonder whether to argue that the header tank is arguably part of the radiator system but didn't have the energy so just fixed it myself for less than the price of the £50 excess anyway.

You'd have the check the T&C for the LR Warranty. Mine in the MotorEasy 'Plan B' warranty which to be fair is mostly in place in case the engine goes bang.
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #222426113th Apr 2021 8:52 am
pjgraham86

Cheers James.

I'll dig out the policy and take it from there.

Thumbs Up

Post #222430213th Apr 2021 11:48 am
pjgraham86

The saga rumbles on. New header tank fitted under extended warranty at end of April. Warning light back on within a few days. Back to dealer - new sensor fitted, again under warranty. Warning light back on again on first trip !!
Booking it back in again for further investigation....!

Post #223594814th Jun 2021 9:26 am
pjgraham86

The saga rumbles on. New header tank fitted under extended warranty at end of April. Warning light back on within a few days. Back to dealer - new sensor fitted, again under warranty. Warning light back on again on first trip !!
Booking it back in again for further investigation....!

Post #223594914th Jun 2021 9:29 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >