DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Low throttle idle dip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Sc0tt

Australia 
Low throttle idle dip

Hi All

MY06 D3 2.7l HSE with 140,000km. Have had this car for a few months (had my first D3 for 5 days before written off in a hail storm) and have noticed that sometimes at very low speeds with either a very low throttle input (ie barely touching the throttle) or no throttle input the rpm will dip sharply from idle (around 800rpm) to <500rpm and then recover. Sometimes it gets into a cycle and does this over and over.

Car has had EGR bypass including the throttle plate. Did that the day I got the car, so can't say if it started after this. Full service history. Have cleaned the MAP and MAF. On moderate to hard acceleration I have a turbo whistle from left side of car (loud enough to be clearly heard in the cabin with all windows up, a/c on and radio on). Don't think there is an air leak from when I did the bypass, but it does concern me. I don't think there is a leak as Torque shows some vacuum at idle (0.5mmhg) and about 18.5psi at full song. Not sure if this is reasonable as this is my first oil burner. No fault codes from Torque, but Torque probably can't read anything LR specific.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Scott

Post #143405527th Feb 2015 12:09 pm
HughMartin

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I had similar symptoms a month or so ago with a similar aged car. Is yours a manual gearbox? Mine tended to be worse when slowing to a stop after I had pushed the clutch pedal. RPM would drop right down and I thought it was about to stall. It would not occur however if I knocked it into neutral whenever I pushed in the clutch. Is this the same as yours?

Post #143409227th Feb 2015 1:22 pm
amazing

China 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

running lean for a bit my maz had same but had throttle pot tweeked.

basic cause is engine gets more air before it realises. check for air leaks on inlet and MAF sensor.some throttle potentiometers change value over time (my old cossie did)

just some thoughts..
 It is better to have and not need it then need and not have it.  
Post #143410427th Feb 2015 1:34 pm
doz

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Check the oil temp sender in the sump. Mine does this normally when you just go to pull away. Oil temp when it happens is either -30°C or even open circuit.

Post #143415527th Feb 2015 3:21 pm
Sc0tt

Australia 

Thanks for all the ideas.

Car is an auto, sorry for not stating that earlier. In Aus, they were pretty much all auto.

Oil temp sender is an interesting idea. I don't think Torque can read this value, though I will double check. TB pots are a thought. I suppose an IIDTool or similar would be able to read these values? Might be the excuse I need to buy one!

I will check over the intake again for any sign of leak, but how in the world do you check for that on a diesel? For a petrol car it is easy as you have high vacuum at idle. Is it just a visual inspection for a diesel?

Cheers
Scott

Post #143448228th Feb 2015 1:03 am
doz

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Cecking for air leaks on diesel. Get a can of easy start in Aus i think it's call it start er barstead! Or even brake cleaner. Spray it on the joints or suspect areas at idle. If you've got a leak the idle speed will increase. Nanocom definitely displays oil temp as that's what I use. Can't answer for IID as I've never used it.

Post #143448328th Feb 2015 1:13 am
Sc0tt

Australia 

Ah, I get it. You are relying on the venturi effect to suck air in through the leaking joint. Obvious now that you mention it! I actually have a can of start ya b Censored d in the shed. Bought it years ago when I was into old Alfas. Never had to use it.

Cheers
Scott

Post #143448528th Feb 2015 1:22 am
amazing

China 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

old Alfas. Never had to use it..........you're not fooling anyone...
 It is better to have and not need it then need and not have it.  
Post #143449028th Feb 2015 2:47 am
Sc0tt

Australia 

Hey! My Sud, 2x 33's and 90 were some of the most reliable cars I ever owned. Cheap as chips too, 'cause everyone thinks they are unreliable. As soon as you undo all the previous owners 'enhancements', they are great.

Anyway, back on topic. Sprayed every junction with start ya b Censored d and idle was rock steady. Yay! No intake leaks.

Cheers
Scott

Post #143449428th Feb 2015 5:39 am
BBB

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Has there been any solution to this as i have similar problem i think. Very rough idle, nearly stalling

Mine is a manual so is there any thing Hugh Martin can add

Now my garage are saying needs a new turbo Shocked

But would a clutch problem cause this, tends to happen at junctions and when not moving too fast, thought maybe a clutch release issue as gear change has got more difficult recently and SWMBO has reported that the car has tried to pull of a couple of times even though clutch depressed, although i am sure she makes these symptoms up half the time to throw my thinking off

Post #146148720th Apr 2015 11:33 pm
HughMartin

Hi BBB,

I wouldn't have described my problem as rough idling. When I applied the clutch before coming to a stop, the rpm would drop excessively low (nearly stalling) before recovering to a normal idle.

I had assumed mine was being caused by "clutch drag" as it wouldn't happen if I knocked it out of gear before I slowed to a stop. I was beginning to prepare myself for a clutch replacement (circa 155,000miles on original clutch)

During this period, I had been suffering from an EPB problem and I had pulled fuse no. 9 (if that is the one which supplies the EPB - I'm not near my car to check). For some reason, this also stopped cruise control from working.

Once I had the EPB problem sorted (it was a corroded splice in a wire) I replaced the fuse and all was well including no more engine idle problems. Can't explain why.

Post #146149120th Apr 2015 11:49 pm
eightfoot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

epb fuse also runs the anti stall system so if you remove it then no anti stall and also no cruise control Thumbs Up

Post #146157521st Apr 2015 9:52 am
HughMartin

Thanks Eightfoot. One of my life's mysteries solved.

Post #146160321st Apr 2015 11:09 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >