daveyb

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Thumbs Up very clear over here Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 Tonga Green
275/65/18 GY DuraTracs - ARB w/ EP9.0 - Sasquatch Rods 

Post #28725215th Apr 2008 11:52 pm
drzjoint

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Adriatic BlueLR3

can i use the front arms for the rear senso if i take into account the original length difference and the 90 degroo rot. i can buy the front arms for $3.00 each and the rears are like 60bucks
always looking to save a buck or 2
thanks
 2005 SE-7 BLUE
AKA THE JUGGERNOT B**CH 

Post #28803017th Apr 2008 3:59 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

front rods are shorter than the rears and attachments are at ninety degrees to each other.
if there is that much difference get them from the large one. Thumbs Up
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #28804717th Apr 2008 4:45 pm
jwest

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

caverD3 wrote:
front rods are shorter than the rears and attachments are at ninety degrees to each other.

did anyone ever check to see it the RRsport or FFRR have similar rods/parts that might be shorter already but have same ends?

Why has no one made a metal replacement that is adjustable in the middle.... someone did exactly that for the VW Touareg air suspension in order to lower it. basically the same idea though.
 96 Disco I, 210,000 miles - still going strong
04 Disco II, Vienna/Tundra, +2" lift, onboard air, 120V...
07 LR3 HSE
2008 Audi S4 Avant mt6 

Post #29072123rd Apr 2008 7:26 pm
disco4x4au

Australia 

jwest wrote:
caverD3 wrote:

did anyone ever check to see it the RRsport or FFRR have similar rods/parts that might be shorter already but have same ends?

Why has no one made a metal replacement that is adjustable in the middle.... someone did exactly that for the VW Touareg air suspension in order to lower it. basically the same idea though.

I did - threaded rod, but being metal, it bends (ask me how I know ... Sad ) - it needs to be somewhat flexible so that large clumps of mud being hurled around in the wheel well don't permanently deform it.

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #29099124th Apr 2008 1:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gtiturbolr3

2006 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 7 Seat Auto Stornoway GreyLR3

I ve read a lot of post about this mod, but no one says anything about the sway bars. Don't you need extensions for the links if you raised the suspension that much?

Post #29100224th Apr 2008 5:34 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
disco4x4au

Australia 

gtiturbolr3 wrote:
I ve read a lot of post about this mod, but no one says anything about the sway bars. Don't you need extensions for the links if you raised the suspension that much?

The mod doesn't actually raise the car anymore than it can itself - it just preempts it. If you were permanently running around at the new raised heights, you might want to look at some minor modification - but like a 1.5" lift in a D1/D2, it might not be worth it. However, no-one (as far as I can tell) is advocating this as a permanent modification.

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #29104224th Apr 2008 8:20 am
jwest

I made my shorter rods and tested them yesterday. For mine I decided to use my new tap and die set to turn one end of the cut rod into a threaded "bolt" to screw into the drilled and tapped old end section that had actual old plastic rod glued inside from factory.

This made a very nice connection that also allowed slight fine tuning of length before installing and being a test for first run, were simply screwed together not using any adhesive. The bore I ended up with was 8/32 so as to still use some of the old inner plastic sidewall inside the end sections as well as just about down to the core solid section of the rod itself.

The new height was quite amazing and drove like a very tall vehicle on air suspension! Wonder why - not something I'd want to use on a 3000 mile road trip here in the US where speed limits are 65-75 and travel speeds are generally no less than 70 with many hours sustaining 75-80. Granted our roads are long arc curves and high speed designed but the wobble with the new height is a little disconcerting.

It only took 15 minutes to swap back. These will be fun to have along on the next adventure though.
07 LR3 HSE
2008 Audi S4 Avant mt6 

Post #30441930th May 2008 6:17 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Very interesting post, and a mod that is easy as pie, thanks guys.

Did anyone manage to establish whether you can actually drive faster than 40km/h with the "new" access height engaged?

Post #30442330th May 2008 7:13 am
jwest

Baben wrote:
Very interesting post, and a mod that is easy as pie, thanks guys.

Did anyone manage to establish whether you can actually drive faster than 40km/h with the "new" access height engaged?

I was hoping but for me, it came up before I was even out of the alley. Maybe if the shortening is less, say 8mm or ? But why would it - the system doesn't want to stay "low" so I would not think it would be affected by the actual height.

I am still going to pursue the Matzker route or some programming to allow user control such that with short rods installed, I can lower back to optimal highway height.
07 LR3 HSE
2008 Audi S4 Avant mt6 

Post #30458630th May 2008 4:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >