Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

LR3 Suspension Height Sensor Lift Results
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
neophyteguy

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
LR3 Suspension Height Sensor Lift Results

Has anyone on here done this mod? Just wondering if it completely changing the car or a mod which is well deserved........

http://www.myrovers.com/?p=392
 Picked up my new MY08 Stornaway TDV6 SE late Feb. FULLY STOKED! Thanks in advance for all the advice/tips you guys have shared on here!!!!!!!!!!!!
1976 Kombi - Bob
1961 Karmann Ghia - Audrey
1968 Wife-HOT! 

Post #28488310th Apr 2008 12:32 pm
catweasel

that mod looks like it was ripped off from here (typical). some on here have done it and are quite happy. cant remeber who Embarassed but I'm sure they'll be along to tell you all about it.

Post #28488510th Apr 2008 12:49 pm
neophyteguy

Cheers catweasel
 Picked up my new MY08 Stornaway TDV6 SE late Feb. FULLY STOKED! Thanks in advance for all the advice/tips you guys have shared on here!!!!!!!!!!!!
1976 Kombi - Bob
1968 Wife-HOT! 

Post #28491210th Apr 2008 1:43 pm
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Did like the step by step guide tho Thumbs Up

Post #28493610th Apr 2008 2:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

There seems to be quite a bit more on that site that has been nicked from contributions here, like the changing front brake pads post which is identical in every way.

Is someone ripping off Disco3 Evil or Very Mad

Post #28498610th Apr 2008 4:25 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #28502410th Apr 2008 6:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Just had a look , yes it is the same, even down to the glueing with silicon that I sugested. My only comment is some form of acnoledgement to DISCO.CO.UK should have been made Exclamation but this is a public web site and we should all be aware of that.
One comment though , not sure about the being able to go faster than 30km/hr in the old access mode which is now the same as the old normal hight. I will try it next week when we go bush.

That brings me to next week Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy going bush for a week Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Rob

Post #28517211th Apr 2008 5:56 am
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Nearly forgot I have a set of these shortened rods and they work a treat Thumbs Up they are easy to put on and take off when needed. I did my Simpson trip with them on and can vouch for them. and best of all no damage to the underside of the car Very Happy Very Happy

Rob

Post #28517311th Apr 2008 6:01 am
neophyteguy

Thanks Rob! It was the new vs old configurations that interested me the most.........Interested to hear of your experiences when you return.......Safe motoring!
1976 Kombi - Bob
1968 Wife-HOT! 

Post #28517911th Apr 2008 7:24 am
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I put on the height rods shortened by 10mm (raising the vehicle 100mm) and then proceeded to drive about 800kms on them two weeks ago. For those familiar with the geography, put the shortened rods on at Balladonia, WA and a week later pulled them at Esperance, WA after driving to Mt Ragged, Israelite Bay, Cape Arid NP, Cape Le Grande NP. The higher rods are wonderful. An additional side benefit was being able to raise to aviation heights when parking my V8 petrol beast over very flammable spinaflex. We were pulling a trailer of about 600kg the entire route. The Israelite Bay-Cape Arid road (about 140km) is horrible washboards. Others told me that they had to do 10-15 kmh across it "...although with air suspension you may be able to go a bit faster." I ended up taking the entire section at 60-70km at the elevated "normal" height and essentially skipped across the tops of the 250mm deep washboards. Makes for interesting cornering this technique! Saved a day of mind-numbing travelling slow having the raised and softer suspension. I also figured that this was as good a test as any of the consequences of using the shortened suspension arms. While the D3 survived this drive just fine the same can't be said for the contents of my trailer.

I did manage to crack the cover of the air compressor despite the higher elevation (can only guess what the damage would have been with normal length rods on Shocked ). The steeler has replaced the cover and I had him look at the drive seals/joints, diff joints, etc. This included the brand new right rear drive assembly and brake disk damaged as part of a incident reported in another forum (parking brake failure). All was in perfect order and no unusual wear was noted. Quirks noted while driving this are as follow:
    At higher speeds (>60kmh) the D3 wallows more like a truck. Reminded me of a Nissan Patrol and reinforced the correct decision to get a D3 instead Smile
    The suspension seems a bit "softer" (more forgiving) at the elevated "normal" setting than at the normal "normal" setting. This was important on the washboard sections.
    Raising the beast to maximum (aviation setting) works a treat in not scratching the lower side panels on WA vegetation and rutted roads.
    One odd quirk was that after driving about 200m on pavement (granted this was just after the 140km of washboards) and then shutting down to pay the national park entrance fee, the oddest electronic glitch I've experienced appeared. Multiple transmission, safety airbag, electronic warnings flashed, and amongst other things, the transmission wouldn't get out of Park. On about the 7th restart it all returned to normal. This might have nothing to do with the sortened suspension rods and everything to do with other components reacting to the washboard road. The transmission lock did appear at a number of subseqnent re-starts but have disappeared when putting the normal length suspension arms on. Might be related to the arms not all being EXACTLY 10mm shorter, who knows.
    Having the higher suspension settings worked wonders when putting in sand mats on the side of a dune (lots of room to slide them in) and made recovery a simple task.
    I managed to pull one of the rods apart (silicon joint failed) when replacing them with normal rods at Esperance. This wouldn't have happened if I had a small pully puller to slowly and controllably remove them.

I'd be interested to hear how anyone else fares with a long drive at higher elevations.
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #28631914th Apr 2008 5:29 am
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Jim,
That's great feedback - thanks!

And I'm just imagining looking in the trailer after the washboard km's finished - hope you had no major breakages at least.

And I'll probably do the same mod for our Flinders Ranges and Tibooburra trip next month Smile

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #28632514th Apr 2008 6:29 am
neophyteguy

Jim,
Awesome write up! These definately sound like the interim solution that many have been looking for. They are definately on my "pre-launch" checklist.

Thanks again mate!
1976 Kombi - Bob
1968 Wife-HOT! 

Post #28633014th Apr 2008 7:14 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Rob Bruce wrote:
My only comment is some form of acnoledgement to DISCO.CO.UK should have been made Exclamation but this is a public web site and we should all be aware of that.

They have acknowledged disco3.co.uk in these articles that I found (including one about the height change modification):

http://www.myrovers.com/?p=365

http://www.myrovers.com/?p=279
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #28633814th Apr 2008 7:54 am
daveyb

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Rob Bruce wrote:
Just had a look , yes it is the same, even down to the glueing with silicon that I sugested. My only comment is some form of acnoledgement to DISCO.CO.UK should have been made Exclamation but this is a public web site and we should all be aware of that.
One comment though , not sure about the being able to go faster than 30km/hr in the old access mode which is now the same as the old normal hight. I will try it next week when we go bush.

That brings me to next week Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy going bush for a week Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Rob

This article was posted by someone other than me. It was my post to LRRForums in original form. The only reason that I used such liberty in re-creating the process was because I don't know how to do that "link type thing" to direct people to this site. I did include pictures of the process which seemed to go over quite well. I did post yesterday to LRR and explicitly thanked DISCO3.UK for the the modification PRIOR to even reading this thread. I'm sorry if I rubbed anyone wrong over here. I was just passing on great information which we found over here. Thanks guy's!!! Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 Tonga Green
275/65/18 GY DuraTracs - ARB w/ EP9.0 - Sasquatch Rods 

Post #28724415th Apr 2008 11:44 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Thanks for the explanation Thumbs Up ...I'm sure there's no problem in reality as long as disco3.co.uk receives some acknowledgement in future Thumbs Up

(he says hoping that martin, the site owner, agrees Whistle )
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #28724915th Apr 2008 11:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >