Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > North America & LR3/4

Moon Roof Not Sun Roof Glass Cracks From Sat Nav Bubble
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Viper_iii

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Moon Roof Not Sun Roof Glass Cracks From Sat Nav Bubble

I've got 3 cracks stemming from my Sat Antenna Bubble on my Disco 3 / LR3 2006 SE...

Anyone seen this before? Known Issue when the bubble is mounted incorrectly? Service Writers first reply was its been impacted... $1,500 Minimum to repair and will take a week / two.

there seems to be a flat spot where they say it looks like something applied pressure. Odd...
This vehicle never parks in parking garages and hasn't been garaged since I moved earlier this year. Nothing falling at the house and nothing big enough to cause this damage. If there was things falling it seems there would be multiple impact points not just one flatter spot on the nav bubble. I will have to drive 2 hours to go pick it up and never return.

I see posts about roll overs and really bad accidents and that glass doesn't break or crack. Not even many posts about that sheet of glass cracking due to someone really doing something to it. Nothing!

WOW... No sign of any rocks hitting it and yet he claims impact... seems their standard response is "Impact damage".

Dealing with Land Rover Ventura in So Cal. Know of a better dealer.

Currently I'm just LIVID and can't see straight!
Posted as a reply in the issues but figured I might get noticed over here and see if anyone else has seen this issue...

Post #37870925th Nov 2008 2:44 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I've only ever seen one cracked roof, and it was due to someone accidentaly stepping off the expo roof rack and standing on it. Anyway, most insurance over here has glass cover?

Post #37875025th Nov 2008 9:06 am
The Large One

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Second that Gareth

Sorry Viper_iii
The only time iv'e seen this is due to something hitting the glass.
Not saying you done it but just saying only seen through some sort of contact with the glass

Nick
 TLO has left the building.......
I no longer work for a Landrover Dealer

My little chilli sauce business http://www.thechillees.co.uk
if you would like to order anything just give me a shout 

Post #37880225th Nov 2008 11:40 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Don't suppose you've ever had anything on the roofrack that may have sat on it?
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #37880325th Nov 2008 11:45 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Click image to enlarge
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #37883325th Nov 2008 1:25 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

That's what happens when you fit FR rails without the spacers Rolling Eyes
 The End  
Post #37884825th Nov 2008 2:03 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I assume the spacers were / are fitted. LR fixed the glass and its not broken since.

But it shows how overtightening can crack the glass. I think generally its pretty strong. My foot slipped off one of the FR cross rails recently staight down onto the middle of the glass and , too my suprise and relief, didnt break.

it must need one heck of a whack or concentrated force to break
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #37886625th Nov 2008 3:29 pm
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Say if you go with what the dealer says...impact. Wouldn't your glass coverage insurance cover it?
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #37886825th Nov 2008 3:51 pm
Viper_iii

Nope... Nothing has ever been attached to the top rails....

I'll have to get a pic posted of the damage. Three crack trails like someone stood and bounced one foot right at the tip of the SAT/NAV Bubble ...

The main crack extends over 24 inches and two other cracks starting from the same point go out at 45 degree angle and are only about 1/2 to 1/3 the length of the first.

Glass Insurance? Hummm... Never have heard of it... and never used it. I run high deductibles because I don't have accidents and if I do the deductible isn't a problem. But for something that I DIDN'T do why would I pay for it?

If my insurance pays for it then I'M paying for it... I will pay for Damage I cause... but this ... Nope... not even a crater to show impact.... ARGH

Post #37890025th Nov 2008 5:09 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

So if you had a badly chipped/cracked windscreen you'd pay for it's replacement yourself?
 The End  
Post #37890325th Nov 2008 5:14 pm
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

If you can find other cases like yours that's one thing, if not it might be hard to prove LR is at fault, your LR3 is 3 years old.

It's like $24/yr for full glass coverage added to my policy with a $50 deductible per glass claim. Although you shouldn't have to dole any money out if it's a warranty issue, if you had it (or should be covered under your general comp insurance regardless) it could save some hassle, or at least some of the expense and be done with it. A few bucks is sometimes worth the sacrifice for headaches fighting the man on principle.
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #37893025th Nov 2008 5:58 pm
Viper_iii

Slimer wrote:
So if you had a badly chipped/cracked windscreen you'd pay for it's replacement yourself?

Kinda like brake pads and rotors... yes... if the windscreen is chipped / cracked that is fairly normal wear and tear I'd bet.

However if it got stress cracks then I'd be more concerned...

Full Size Image

Post #37894225th Nov 2008 6:48 pm
cdodkin

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

given the location of the crack - isn't it far more likely to be an issue with the install of the antenna?

I'm certainly going to be checking mine next time I wash Shocked

FWIW - when I had glass damage on my last car - AllState covered it under the vehicle insurance with just a small glass deductible - did not go against us as a claim.

Worth checking your policy.
 08 LR3 SE V8 - 02 D2 SE7 V8
Porsche 911 (03 996) - 2013 MINI Cooper S 

Post #37895125th Nov 2008 7:15 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Ok, idea tank's running dry - Softball strike, kids retrieving something from the roof or just playing up there?

I can't see the antennae pod damage in the pictures; which direction does it look like it was struck in? Possible branch strike, lucky almost miss of a big stone bouncing off the road, idiot service tech putting the car on a hoist and raising it into the ceiling?

Finally, a real long shot, 'cos this observation is more likely to be a parallax issue than something worthwhile, but in your picture it looks like the two halves of the pod are under some strain, with the metal part slightly higher than the glass part. If (and hell that's a big if!) the sealant bead under the glass wasn't 'tall' enough, wouldn't that make the pod sit at an angle and put the glass under stress?
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #37902625th Nov 2008 9:44 pm
Viper_iii

Finally went and picked it up.... Almost 5 hour round trip to go get it..

Interesting I ran into the guy that sold it to me 2 years ago... or rather got me into the lease... He just started working there again within the past couple of months...

I asked him if he knew why I was so Censored ed at their dealership and he of course didn't know...

I walked him out to the truck was already 7:15pm or so... had him climb up on the rear bumper and take a gander!...

showed him the cracks... got to talking with him who is also pretty certain that there is no impact marks visible from the outside of the bubble. He agrees that there is probably 2-3 mounting bolts and there is almost certainly a fracture starting from one of those mounting bolts. The stress of a Uni-frame and Uni-Body Truck as the LR3 might have well caused the stress fracture when I was climbing at an angle. (Completely Covered by LR if that is the cause)

Took about 10 Pics of the bubble and when I was ready to leave I also told him that when I was really not happy I also asked the Service Nimwit (Writer) if he checked the Sun Roof Rails for Cracks... Of Course they were fine and he has never seen any problems with those on the modern LR3's and only a few LR2s with that issue but none of the LR / Disco 3s and I shouldn't worry.

Signed the papers and walked my sales guy back to the car to show him the fractures that might be present in my sunroof rails.... WOW! Cracked all to HELL! My first look I didn't noticed but he sure did... then pointed them out to me... We took more pictures of this and he was really embarrassed but positive...

hopefully I'll have the images by tomorrow or else I'll have to throw anther fit! and take more shots myself!

He was really embarrassed that the Writer said that the truck had no issues...

My guess was the didn't modify the suspension issues which caused the Inner tire wear due to the lift calibration crap...

Or modify the firmware for the transmission shift points... Us Californians do our slow stops which is really a pain when the truck tries to start in 3rd then drops to 1st trying to figure us Cali rolling stops out...

(being that I stop at signs its really on noticeable around turns in my neighborhood with dips. Trans Jerks really hard when dropping and lurches the truck!)

Overall happy with the sales guys willingness to listen... but still really angry with the dealer and told the sales guy that my business was already gone. He is still pursing a meeting supposedly with the Owner with his images to show him what he found. (Why does the sales guy have a camera and the service F@#@#ER have only his pen and that is mightier than the customer... GEEEZ)

Anyway.... another note to alll

CHECK THOSE SUNROOF RAILS on the front SUN ROOF as this thread states to do!!!!!
Preferably after they say they've serviced your vehicle... Geez

Post #3820002nd Dec 2008 7:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >