Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

New to LRD's Advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
dmac

Northern Ireland 
New to LRD's Advice

OK in position, well have my good wife now convinced, to buy an LR3/4. Have never driven on, or in fact ever sat in one, but always admired them! In NI so less choice here.

Torn between buying something with say around 70k miles at around £15k, or older circa 130k miles, £9.5K. Obviously the car with the lesser miles would be the better buy, but then I'd be afraid to maybe enjoy its off road capabilities etc.

Reason for buying is that we are again a 3 dog family, 3 Irish Doodles, Mum and 2 of her pups. So the Disco looks amazing on that front.

Three vehicles I may look at in the next few days, any tips on what to look for, how do they compare on price to UK :

https://www.usedcarsni.com/2009-Land-Rover...rch_type=1

https://www.usedcarsni.com/2011-Land-Rover...rch_type=1

https://www.usedcarsni.com/2013-Land-Rover...rch_type=1

The 2nd one I hopefully will be taking a drive in today, comes with 6 months warranty, and can be extended to 12 months for an additional £100 or so according to salesman.

Any advice welcome. Thanks, Dermot.

Post #221191819th Feb 2021 8:43 am
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Forget the 2009 D3 as you can get a 2011 D4 HSE for approximately same price. The 2011 has a much higher spec (HSE) than the 2013 (GS). Depends what you are looking for, I think.

Search buyers guides and checklists on the forum. There are plenty of things to take a look at - and try - before committing to buying a particular vehicle. Don’t spend your last cash on the car. Make sure you budget has room to do at least “something” immediately even if the vehicle is the least driven, most well taken care of, hand washed, only driven by a little old lady to the store and back, etc. Mr. Green

Also “off-road” means different things for different people but all three are “fine” to take off a paved road. Common sense on where to drive and what to do should be present at all times.

Post #221192319th Feb 2021 9:04 am
dmac

Northern Ireland 

Luckily post covid I can work from home 3 days out of the 5, about 80 mile round journey to office, this is also adding to the equation.

My own local mechanic is very good, I have literally no skills myself, so factoring that in. Of course tax is a major point to consider, coming from Skoda Octavia 1.6 lol, dont think it has tax from memory lol.

Yeah I will take a drive in the 2011 HSE and start from there. Same dealer has a nice Shogun and an XC90, my mind is saying they are a better buy, but my heart is with the Disco!

Post #221192819th Feb 2021 9:17 am
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

I note you're not in GB, but my very strong advice would be to buy off the forum where you can. COVID will make that difficult, so perhaps worth waiting a little? There was a great vehicle on here the other day - one owner, etc. Noting your self-professed lack of mechanical experience these can be quite needy and expensive to run, hence the need to buy well. If you can be patient I'd suggest you consider this route.
 PAGODA  
Post #221203419th Feb 2021 5:58 pm
Duc750

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

That D3 is a diesel at Petrol money - you may be able to find an excellent V8 petrol for that money and for low mileage use it will be the better car
 05 D3 V8 HSE, LR Passion tree bars, wildbear compressor guard, LRP switch panel, ARB rear locker + compressor, Trigger 6 shooter electrical system
12 RRS SDV6 HSE (Hers) - Gone and replaced with an I Pace - I can tell you now EV is not the future yet
Metalian Camper trailer 

Post #221203519th Feb 2021 6:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >