New off-road tyres fitted
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
disco4x4au

Australia 
New off-road tyres fitted

Placed some pics in my gallery at:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=691

These are the competition tyres I'll be running this year - Interco Super Swamper radials, in 265/70/17. These measure 32.5" in diameter, so a little larger than std 265/70/17.

I've tweaked the suspension heights for when these tyres are fitted, by making a second set of height-sensor arms from carbon fibre tubing. This adds about 40mm to the preset heights, which I need to stop a slight rubbing with these tyres.

Tried it out last weekend in the Harvey mud (I'll post pictures from the trip soon) and they worked very, very well 8) 8)

No problems with traction control, suspension or drivetrain noted, and it was a _rough_ , steep, muddy course!!

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #1848431st Aug 2007 5:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: New off-road tyres fitted

disco4x4au wrote:

I've tweaked the suspension heights for when these tyres are fitted, by making a second set of height-sensor arms from carbon fibre tubing. This adds about 40mm to the preset heights, which I need to stop a slight rubbing with these tyres.

Cheers,

Gordon

Gordon,

I think you'll be asked about the new arms you have made since there are a few on here interested to make the "standard height" a bit higher to cope with the high crowns on outback roads.

Pics and how you do it would be most useful

Thanks,

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #1848521st Aug 2007 7:31 am
Penguin

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Nice nice, very nice Wink

Competition?
 In a time of chimpanzees, I was a penguin.

www.m-release.com 

Post #1850661st Aug 2007 4:14 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Re: New off-road tyres fitted

disco4x4au wrote:

Gordon,

Very nice set-up! Looks very good indeed, especially with the other mods you've already made Thumbs Up

Just a quick question from someone who is naturally curious...when the car grounds and automatically goes into super-extended mode, is there enough 'slack' in the air-suspension to allow it to get up an extra 40mm? Or does the car stop itself from over-inflating the adjuster bags? (PCH did say there would be questions Wink )
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #1850901st Aug 2007 6:03 pm
disco4x4au

Australia 

I checked this before the last trip, and the car in 'extended' mode is still slightly lower than the car in 'super-extended' mode, which is only driver-selectable. So no problems there.

I'll post some pics of the mods when I take the tyres off this weekend, however, note that I'm only using this mode when seriously off-roading with the bigger tyres, which is fairly rare - I normally just use the Mickey Thompson's with the std suspension heights. I'd be cautious about using this as a permanent setting.

Cheers,

Gordon
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #1852112nd Aug 2007 12:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Your rig looks very 8) Gordon. Thumbs Up

So this is a matter of a quick swap of height-sensor arms when needed or is it more involved than that? Do you mean cautious for safety or cautious for suspension strain?
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #1852172nd Aug 2007 12:48 am
disco4x4au

Australia 

I have both the std and the modified arms attached to the sensor. I then just swap the upper connection to the chassis when required.

'Caution' is meant in both senses

Cheers,

Gordon

Post #1852292nd Aug 2007 4:41 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Nice one great idea, Gordon. Very Happy
So I take it you havn't put it in super extended mode?
like PCH some pictures and the length and how you made the arm it is an issue as ther can be alot of damage at speed. Shocked
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #1852352nd Aug 2007 6:40 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

disco4x4au wrote:
... the car in 'extended' mode is still slightly lower than the car in 'super-extended' mode...

Thanks Gordon, that sounds perfect for why I'd want it, for cleaning underneath and preparing for jacking/maintenance rather than actually driving in extended. The roads round here are bad, but not (quite) that bad yet... Neutral

Looking forwards to the instructions and pics! Thanks Smile
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #1856943rd Aug 2007 2:12 pm
disco4x4au

Australia 

Some pics of my first outing on the SuperSwampers - the Harvey forests in SW Western Australia.

http://www.aulro.com/app/showgallery.php?cat=764&ppuser=0

Cheers,

Gordon

PS - I've finally got the mud off the car and taken some snaps of the sensor arm mods - will post them soon.

Post #19179020th Aug 2007 1:34 am
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Gordon - thanks - pics and dimensions pls. I'd like to know length to get a 25mm lift from std...

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #19179120th Aug 2007 2:11 am
disco4x4au

Australia 

Simon,

Some pics in my gallery. As to exact lengths - I think it may vary from vehicle to vehicle. Essentially, what I did was to mark the position of the sensor arm when the car was at off-road height, and then again at extended height, and work out the required length from that, taking the smaller length at extended height as an absolute minimum length. Obviously the rear control rods are a different length to the front ones.

Cheers,

Gordon

Post #19532227th Aug 2007 3:48 am
disco4x4au

Australia 

Some videos of the D3 at the WA 'Mud Guts and Glory' competition, using the new tyres and the suspension mods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkJkKQQejho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNOex-AjYn4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-A0QuGgHDQ

Some of the other Landrovers there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28JGdRd9hEA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXJqu6z1qc4

Despite the mods, the car had the second-smallest set of tyres there Embarassed And as there was only one class, we didn't fair as well as last year, but we finished without damage or incident - after removing the rear bumper skin which kept getting caught up on everything!

Cheers,

Gordon

Post #20473418th Sep 2007 4:02 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Great stuff Gordon. Thumbs Up Looks like the mod worked really well and caused no problems. Very Happy
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #20473518th Sep 2007 4:50 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >