Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Parking sensors driving me mad again !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Prette

Location: Previously Stoke-ST4 (pre-pandemic), Mostly The Hague (NL) partially Lyngby (DK) certainly somewhere

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 3

SteveH wrote:
Pete thanks for the continued support
Yes that seems to fit with PDC front/rear speaker readings

Not carried out the rear sensor swaps fully as yet but an update and further question as follows:

Initially swapped the 2 new outer sensors back to old ones - can now do the rear re-set via the PDC switch. However, slight difference now is no live data from any rears (and i think rear speaker says active - but no sound..?!?. It works because I get the fault beeps and a long beep on re-set)

Anyway, above strangeness aside, could you or anyone let me know where to get new rear sensors that are satisfactory and work please before I do the full rear swap experiment.
I am very suspect of the sensors I have bought so far - having paid a bit extra for "valeo" ones none of which seem to have worked (I bought one a year or so ago and swapped through all positions with no joy plus the 2 recent ones )
If I'm going to have the bumper off yet again I'd rather have 4no reliable new sensors to hand to be honest (maybe a big re-think if I would have to pay for Land Rover ones mind you..)

Many thanks
Steve

Hi Steve,

I suppose you have already done it, but just in case if not, have a check in the PDC connectors. Mine was with a grime green oxide stuff inside the connector. A quick contact cleaner spray and tooth pick solve this issue.

The other one was that I had 3 failed sensors, 2 in the back 1 in the front. Similar "short circuit failure" (only one was shorted but... how to find it?). I tacked them one by one. Laborious work but... only way I know. As Pete said, disable and disconnect front loom, swap rear ones (one by one) until you get all working.
( Idea Once you get one set working, you can also test the front sensors in the rear loom. They are interchangeable, different shapes, but with the bumper off, it does not matter much. just take out one rear sensor and put the front one in, see if it fails, take out and put next one in, and go one testing all the rest one by one Idea )

Now I have an intermittent mis-measure (beeps when there is nothing there) on one centre rear sensor (but only beeps when is raining and I can live with that a little longer without removing the bumper again) Whistle

Post #22281424th May 2021 6:23 am
SteveH

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

..so eventually got around to changing all rear PDC sensors for new ones - now back to the looong beep and amber flashing switch light... Censored
To re-cap I had previously only got a short beep and at one point could re-set via the switch and it would work for a bit - albeit with strange live values as previously mentioned
New looms, interchanged sensor at all positions, now changed all - this is all with/without from loom connected

What to do..? New PDC controller? If so is there a particular reference control module that's recommended; seem to remember it was updated. 2007 D3 HSE

Thanks

Post #224705617th Aug 2021 4:12 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

The later updated ecu defaults to the fronts being off.
So bikes and busses don’t cause bleeps while sat in traffic

Post #224705917th Aug 2021 4:23 pm
Prette

Location: Previously Stoke-ST4 (pre-pandemic), Mostly The Hague (NL) partially Lyngby (DK) certainly somewhere

SteveH wrote:

What to do..? New PDC controller? If so is there a particular reference control module that's recommended; seem to remember it was updated. 2007 D3 HSE

Thanks

- Most importantly: What are the error codes you are getting now?
They will most likely narrow the problem.

- Have you used OEM LR sensors? Confused Sometimes, fleabay and other chinese sensors may arrive already bonkers Whistle . Can you/Have you tested them? If any is shorted (from factory), you will get the long beep.

- Do you get any dash message? (e.g. Front Parking sensor disabled? )

- Where is the long beep coming from (front/rear buzzer)?

- Did you clean the connector that goes to the PDC module? (mine had some/lots of green oxide sludge there). PDC loom/module don't like water, moisture, etc...

Post #224706117th Aug 2021 4:26 pm
SteveH

Hi Prette
Sorry I didn't get notification of your message

In summary I get long beep - fault shows 'short circuit to ground' - both front and rear - as it did in the beginning
I have tried supposed OEM sensors in each position front and rear. New looms. I disconnected front and had rear working intermittently but strange live values. Tried to change only the two with the strange live values - back to square one - long beep. Tried changing all rear (ebay sensors) - back to square one - long beep.
Flashing pdc switch

I have wondered if it may be something in the harness from the pdc module to the connector for the bumper loom. I thought it was unlikely this would be faulty but I guess I should check it before buying a pdc module. Im not great with continuity checking if you could confirm procedure?
Thanks
Steve

Post #225069011th Sep 2021 11:06 am
Prette

For what you described one (or more) sensors are in short circuit. When only one is in short circuit the whole module stop working.
Most likely is in thr front since you said upon disconnecting front loom things change.
Let's be systematic:
First check all the connectors, including the one at the module. Clean it if necessary. Moisture make the short circuit fault too.
Regarding your sensors, never change more than one at the time.
If you suspect two is at fault, change one test, read fault, clean fault etc.... Only then check/change next.

If one of your sensor is shorted, i would say, remove ALL sensors, and connect one by one see which is shorted, chances are there will more than one. (Mine were the two center front Censored . ) Between each connection test and run diagnosis to see which fault you have.

If when you remove ALL sensor you still have the fault. Then loom is doomed or module is doomed.

I hope it helps. Good luck and write up if you need more info on anything.
Cheers

Post #225071111th Sep 2021 1:47 pm
SteveH

Hi All/Prette
Been some time - despite experimenting with individual sensors and nothing doing I decided to try the pdc module itself.
Changed for a used/working module and switched ignition on - no beep. Rear sensors engage with short beep when in reverse and handbrake off - all good. Albeit only middle sensors work as I think couple of aftermarket in the outers are a bit suspect

Re connect front sensors - same result as above but fronts not working. Realise the ccf was set to rears only so changed ccf to 'both'. All good fronts work.

HOWEVER, drive off and 'suspension lowered' special programmes off !?! Censored
Switch off reset suspension to normal - drive off same alarm suspension lowered. Tried switch ignition off/on same alarm without need to drive

Re set ccf to rear only and hey presto suspension raises to normal height and no problem

Any takers...?

Thanks
Steve

Post #229377631st May 2022 11:57 am
miniman8

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Rear sensors playing up

Hi all, I had a problem with one rear sensor about 3 years ago, changed it for one from a Volvo (yes Volvo) just had to cut a locating fin inside sensor it self & it fitted fine, it was outer ns which is easiest to change, well 3 days ago I got the short beep when putting into reverse & flashing light on pdc switch, from what I’ve read this will if it’s a short to earth within the sensor stop fronts from working as well, I don’t have any way of finding out using IID as I’m not paying crazy money to get someone to read it so I will be going down route of removing rear bumper & replacement one at a time until I hopefully find the broken one, my question is which is best value sensor to buy I have seen them anything from £10 (which I presume are Chinese) to £118 for lr ones, I have come across a place at £14 which has 12 month warranty or Bearmach which are £30 with 3 year warranty,
When I swapped it with second hand one last time it just worked again!
Any advice regarding how much I should pay or anywhere that has good ones at a reasonable price would be much appreciated.

Tom

Post #230113523rd Jul 2022 12:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >