Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Possible Oil Overdose
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Bstokemike

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Possible Oil Overdose

I feel a bit of an idiot on this as I think I may have dropped a clanger!

Just prepping the car for a drive down to the South of France so though I'd stick my head under the bonnet and check my levels.

Lets just say I'm not a mechanical type of bod and looking for brightly coloured things with levels on them is about my limit! Anyway after I had got through the whole wheres the dip stick thing? and gone to the service menu I was totally panicked when the oil level was showing minimum.

Anyway, after a flustered trip to halfords and the parting of fifty quid I dumped about 2 liters in to the engine.

Its only now that I'm reading further that I realise that the engine needs time to stabilise after coming to temperature before it gives you a reading. So I guess I'm asking if anyone out there can tell me if I've dropped a serious clanger here?

The wife is in the car today so I haven't had a chance to recheck the levels yet now that I know the secret. It had a bit of a cough of smoke after I filled it up but seems OK after about 60 miles. It was serviced about 8 weeks ago and had a full oil change then.

Post #13324081st Sep 2014 8:21 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Overfilling is really bad so if in doubt you should not be running the engine!

That said the car is equipped with an overfill detector so the absence of the warning does give some hope. Adding 2 litres as a top-up in one go is excessive. It is more correct to add some and recheck the level and, for a D4, it gives the car a chance to tell you the remaining amount that needs to be added.

It is dead easy to suck some oil from the D4 engine via the dedicated suction tube if you have added too much.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #13324121st Sep 2014 8:42 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

My folks overfilled their old ML a few years ago, as punishment for blaming me (I said check the oil level, not top up) I made them get it back to the proper level by repeatedly inserting & wiping the dipstick. Took them about an hour. See, another use for a dipstick. Laughing

Post #13324151st Sep 2014 8:58 am
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Not to add to the worry and noting any oil is better than no oil.

Are you sure you bought the correct spec from Halfords - last time I checked, they didn't sell the correct spec, low saps for the DPF
 Mike  
Post #13327781st Sep 2014 10:08 pm
Bstokemike

Hi, well at last got a reading after sitting on the drive waiting for the oil gauge to come in to life, what a faf! And as expected it went to full. Well the advise seems to be don't worry to much if it's not belching smoke. It's done over 100 miles now since I over filled it.

Well on the spec front my first visit to halfords I went away after computer says no. And yes mse your right they said they didn't stock disco juice. After that I had a look in the book and it recommend a type of castrol that after another trip to halfords the guy shoved in my hand.

But I am worried now that I just took his word for it! Will check the container tomorrow!

Post #13327961st Sep 2014 10:45 pm
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

You will find it isn't the correct spec, it will be the correct grade though.

im sure the computer tells you how much oil to put in when you need to top up too

But correct grade oil is better than no oil
 Mike  
Post #13328161st Sep 2014 11:17 pm
Robbie

Bstokemike wrote:
Well the advise seems to be don't worry to much if it's not belching smoke. It's done over 100 miles now since I over filled it.

I would question this advice as it is not appropriate for a modern diesel. The engine, engine systems, cat and dpf are all working hard not to belch smoke but the pressures caused by potential overfill will still be stressing parts of your engine.

It does not take long to suck some oil through the tube so why risk damaging your engine?

Anyway, if it is the wrong spec oil you will have to change it so this is an opportunity to fill correctly.

Thumbs Up

Diagnostics for:

Post #13328402nd Sep 2014 6:58 am
Dave T

England 

I would also question that if it was serviced 8 weeks ago, why is it showing a low level?
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #13328462nd Sep 2014 7:11 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bstokemike

All, well I think the way I'm going to go is to try and suck some out. Can anyone give me a bit more info on this dedicated suction tube??????

It was showing low because I'm an impatient sod and didn't realise you have to wait for paint to dry before it gives you a reading. The menu oil gauge just defaults to minimum when you switch it on and as the book doesn't mention anything about waiting for the engine to stabilise after coming up to temperature I just assumed it was telling me that all my oil had some how vanished or not been replaced as part of my recent service, so it was a case of PANIC!

Post #13328492nd Sep 2014 7:45 am
mse

Im almost positive the manual says you have to wait and the screen says not available, when it needs topping up im sure I read it tells you how much to add...mainly for the future.

Might be worth just asking how much an oil change would be at a garage...you could also buy the correct spec oil from opie oils, I think there are 2 makes readily available - if memory serves one of them is Shell and can be bought from a shell garage too.
 Mike  
Post #13328712nd Sep 2014 8:46 am
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

I think the advice here is clear fella. Halfords are unlikely to have the correct oil for the D4 and they are sensitive to the oil used. To prevent the possibility of causing serious damage to your engine, I'd personally be doing a full oil and filter change. Even if it was only done recently, if you have A) overfilled it or B) used the incorrect grade of oil or C) Both then you could be faced with a massive bill for a wrecked engine Sad As MSE says above, if you're not comfortable doing it yourself, the dealer or a reputable local garage will do it for you but don't forget to change the filter too just in case it WAS the incorrect grade of oil. For the sake of an hours labour charge ( or so) it's got to be better than a bill for a wrecked engine surely?

Hope you get it sorted

Best,

Steve Thumbs Up
 My17 Volvo XC90 Inscription
MY15 Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,
Large Alsation called Abbs Smile
Medium blue Staffie called Piglet
Medium Alsation called Bailey Smile 

Post #13329222nd Sep 2014 10:18 am
Bstokemike

OK thanks all! right all booked in for an oil change this Friday (£115)

Thanks for the advice all, that will teach me!

Post #13329392nd Sep 2014 11:12 am
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

better safe than sorry mate Smile Hope you have a great trip!

Best,

Steve Thumbs Up
 My17 Volvo XC90 Inscription
MY15 Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,
Large Alsation called Abbs Smile
Medium blue Staffie called Piglet
Medium Alsation called Bailey Smile 

Post #13329852nd Sep 2014 12:44 pm
Robbie

Bstokemike wrote:
It was showing low because I'm an impatient sod and didn't realise you have to wait for paint to dry before it gives you a reading. The menu oil gauge just defaults to minimum when you switch it on and as the book doesn't mention anything about waiting for the engine to stabilise after coming up to temperature I just assumed it was telling me that all my oil had some how vanished or not been replaced as part of my recent service, so it was a case of PANIC!

Great news that you are getting this sorted so I hope you don't mind me focusing on your comment that the display appeared to default to minimum as I have heard this once before from another MY10 owner.

This certainly does not happen on my MY13 as it will only give me 3 possible displays: display the level when completely cold and without a recent start; display the level when warm when the correct interval has elapsed or display a not available message when warm but without sufficient time elapsed. There are no circumstances where it will default to a minimum display.

As a result I wonder if there is a software issue with the IPC that allows incorrect readings to be presented to the owner and I also wonder if the later versions of the IPC software has corrected this anomaly. Clearly the IPC software can be updated if this really is the root cause of the problem.

Thumbs Up

Diagnostics for:

Post #13332122nd Sep 2014 7:15 pm
fishinmad

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

For my 2 cents worth I would deff take it to a dealer and ask for oil and filter change before going to France, a very long high sped drive with wrong oil or even worse overfilled with oil could cause a lot of damage.

Yet another argument for retaining the dip stick!
 Club Narpy Torch

“No return to boom and bust” Gordon Brown when chancellor
He has been proved right, now there is only bust! 

Post #13332272nd Sep 2014 7:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >