Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

How/Where: Power cable thru dash to battery?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3
How/Where: Power cable thru dash to battery?

I have a somewhat embarrassing question to ask. Where/how did you get your power cable through the firewall to the battery???

I have a North American left hand drive LR3. I spent the better part of yesterday evening looking for a way to get my radio power cables to the battery through the firewall.

I pulled off the kick panels, under dash covers, sub covers, etc..., but I cannot find that mythical unused grommet rumored to be on the secondary battery tray side of the vehicle.

I do have a largish grommet to the left of the steering column, but it's got a large wire bundle through it already, and it's fairly well tape sealed from the factory. I can't easily access it from the engine bay due to the brake pump and brake line routing. I would have to say that resealing it once I drove another largish cable through there will be extremely difficult.

So how did you do it? Where are you getting your power from? I found dozens of grounding points on the passenger side kick panel, but no clue what connector bundle might be hot and free from interference for a 2M/70cm HAM radio.

I would love to learn this trick!

Thanks,

NW

Post #27259714th Mar 2008 4:11 pm
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Hi Nathan, when we ran the wiring for my lamps we used the grommet by the steering column you mention. Bent a coat hanger, taped the end of the cable to it, and ran it through along the existing wires (didn't cut or unseal)...then pulled it through the rest of the way from the inside.
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #27266314th Mar 2008 6:13 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

On the UK (RH Drive) D3, there is a grommet where the clutch cable would go on a TDV6 Manual Transmission. I suppose you don't get a manual gearbox option in the US, but maybe you have the grommet on the left hand side. If not then I would think its still there on the right hand side.

I can't see Land Rover having different body pressings for lh/rh drive vehicles. Confused

Post #27268014th Mar 2008 6:27 pm
nwoods

Gareth, what side of the truck is your battery and fuse box on? Right or left (from behind the steering wheel)?

I did look on the right side (my passenger side), but I didn't see anything there. I might have to remove the glovebox to find that gromment possibly, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

I think it's a mute point though. In the engine bay, the right side of my truck is COMPLETLY full of battery, fuse box, and lots of other wiring. There is no way to get to the firewall itself without major dissassembly.

Post #27268314th Mar 2008 6:32 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Hmm, RHD vehicles have the battery, the battery junction box, and fuse box etc on the left of the vehicle, so I can see your problem.

Maybe if you drop the glove box, you will see the grommet, and be able to stick a fish wire through it from the passenger compartment, to then locate the other end of the fish wire somehow, in the battery area?

Do Land Rover offer a manual transmission in LHD vehicles for any market? If so, there must be a grommet somewhere on the left side of your vehicle.

Post #27268914th Mar 2008 6:37 pm
catweasel

the grommet will be in the same location as your brake booster which is (should be ) your drivers side. this but opposite, if not you will have to make your own which isnt hard with a drill and a punch

Post #27269314th Mar 2008 6:42 pm
RonnyH

Northern Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

There is a grommet on the left side, behind the spare battery compartment. It's difficult to access, but you will see it better if you loosen the backup sounder. Can post some pictures tomorrow if you want.

Post #27272414th Mar 2008 7:45 pm
nwoods

RonnyH wrote:
There is a grommet on the left side, behind the spare battery compartment. It's difficult to access, but you will see it better if you loosen the backup sounder. Can post some pictures tomorrow if you want.

Pictures would be great if its not too much trouble.

Post #27295115th Mar 2008 5:30 am
RonnyH

Northern Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Sorry about the quality of the pictures. There is a couple more in my gallery.

The grommet is located behind the cover in the top of the picture. You'll just see the grommet if you look slightly upwards behind the cover. Will need to remove it, and loosen the backup sounder to be able to access the grommet ok.

Post #27300115th Mar 2008 11:55 am
Roverine

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

Hi Nathan- I used that grommet left of the steering column on my left hand drive NA spec. to wire my driving lights. The rubber washer sealing the wire bundle in the grommet is quite soft and permeable. I pushed (punctured really) my wires for a switch through it by taping them to an unwound coat hanger and just forcing it through. Piece of cake. The rubber seal closed right in on the new wires. I approached from the engine side. All you have to remove inside to get access is the panel below the steering column, which snaps down and is held by 2 wire clip-fasteners. You must be about ready to leave for Utah if you're still game. If so, good luck!

Last edited by Roverine on 20th Mar 2008 12:26 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #27433218th Mar 2008 3:54 am
nwoods

Thanks guys, I found the hidden gromment, but I could not access it due to my large hands, though I sacrificed signifant sections of the dermal layer in trying.

I could not easily access the larger grommet below it, with the large wiring loom already through it for similar reasons. So I poked a power lead through the upper corner of the steering column rubber gromment. Everything is silicone sealed and zip tied out of the way.

I quite enjoyed the process of removing major chunks of the dash, the seats, the A and B pillar trims, etc... but I now have a fairly inconspicious 2m/70cm HAM radio installation, with the main unit and speaker assembly mounted on a plate under the middle row seats (actualy my rear seats because I am 5 seater), the handset mounted on the center console between the EPB and the arm rest/refrigerator cubby, and the remote unit tucked under the front ash tray.

I have two antenna mounts, one on a clip attachement to the top of the rear liftgate near my ladder, and another on the roof rack for when the rack is mounted.

My very first tuning of the new radio was I listening to NASA give instructions to the astronauts on the Space Shuttle during their recent EVA. That was pretty cool.

Thanks for the help everyone, now it's off to Utah I go:

Post #27496319th Mar 2008 7:48 am
Roverine

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Good Luck to you here in Utah, Nathan

I hope you have a safe and marvelous trip! Godspeed.

Post #27544420th Mar 2008 12:25 am
pbhawkin

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

nmoods,
any pictures of your setup would be appreciated.
And your trip too.
 regards
Peter

Post #27545520th Mar 2008 12:39 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >