Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Re-map & Injectors issue.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MJD 3

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re-map & Injectors issue.

Would like to know your thought/advice on the below issue I've had ...... Here goes.........

Bought a smart D3 about 6 months and was very happy with my purchase, its a 54 Reg TDV6 with 119K on the clock, first 4-5 months I had no troubles at all.

It was due a service when I got the motor and took it to a local indie for the "A" service, it was checked for fault codes and one thing that was highlighted was the injectors, it was suggested I put in some injector cleaner to see if that has any effect which I did, at this point the disco was getting 27-30mpg no problems.

I decided to get a re-map put on and took it to the same indie to arrange (he's an approved installer), this was done (after I had to take it to Land Rover to get the ECU updated) and all seemed well until I noticed the MPG was now down to 23 ish (I did also put on some GG A/T tyres which I though may account for a couple of MPG loss).

Decided to go on a tour of the dales and heading from one lane to another saw a empty piece of straight tarmac, I decided to give it the berries and floored the loud pedal Very Happy the disco shot off up the road like a stabbed rat and was well impressed UNTIL...... The rev needle refused to go any higher than 3500RPM and the speed dropped off regardless of what I tried with the accelerator, once pulled over turned the engine off and back on and things seemed OK, sadly over the course of the day it did this several times, I took it back to above garage who checked it and said two injectors were at the max limit and two were at the lower limit! This means nothing to me but the advice given was to get either as set of new or second hand injectors, the choice was made to get a set of second hand injectors and these were fitted.
Did another dales laning trip and exactly the same thing happened, though I was not trying to put the loud pedal through the floor, this seemed to happen when going up hill. At this point the MPG is now down to 22 and there is lag when I go to pull away from junctions etc, took it back to the garage who tested everything and said the same as before that 2 injectors were at their max limit and 2 were at the lower limit, this despite me asking if the replacement injectors were OK which I was assured they were and had been tested!
My dilemma is this:- Do I ask the garage to take off the re-map and see if this cures the problem?
Also as I've been told I'll get a refund on the injectors that were fitted do I go for second hand ones again and chance my arm or go for brand news ones at considerable cost?

Your thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

Regards

MJD 3
 General Grabber AT3's
EGR Valves Blanked
Aluminium sump guard
Tree/Rock sliders.
Bank Account - Empty. 

Last edited by MJD 3 on 17th May 2017 9:23 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #181617017th May 2017 8:19 pm
Johnhiggs

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Loss of power, lag, low mpg , booting it up hill I would say it's a turbo boost problem, reason being uphill the turbos will be higher boost than normal driving. Sticking actuator? Split pipe/ intercooler?
Not sure what your injector readings mean really, linked to turbo?

My 2004 transit would split turbo pipes if it was driven hard up hill.
 2006 D3 2.7tdv6 SE Zermatt (6A)
Front and rear light protectors
EGR's Blanked
704 rims
LED Interior lamp upgrade
2014/2015 navigation maps
DAB Motion
Parrott Mki9100 Bluetooth 

Post #181618517th May 2017 8:54 pm
MJD 3

When I spoke to the garage after the injectors had been fitted and described the symptoms they suggested a sticking actuator, but when I called to see what the problem was they said it was the injectors, nothing about the actuator/turbo was mentioned!
 General Grabber AT3's
EGR Valves Blanked
Aluminium sump guard
Tree/Rock sliders.
Bank Account - Empty. 

Post #181619717th May 2017 9:26 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

An approved installer for which remap company?
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #181619917th May 2017 9:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MJD 3

Monster tuning.
 General Grabber AT3's
EGR Valves Blanked
Aluminium sump guard
Tree/Rock sliders.
Bank Account - Empty. 

Post #181621617th May 2017 9:57 pm
Disco_Mikey

Then yes, I'd be inclined to have the remap taken off and test it as standard Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #181623317th May 2017 10:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

In the meantime keep off the loud peddle as you may do some unrepairable damage, if you want a remap have a tried and proved one from a reputable company, DM above has them on special at the moment ISTR Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #181625218th May 2017 6:24 am
MJD 3

I'm going to speak to the garage and get the re-map removed, do I keep the EGR's blanked?

And.... Once the re-map has been taken off should this keep the injectors within there limits or will these still need changing?

Appreciate the advice given Thumbs Up

MJD 3
 General Grabber AT3's
EGR Valves Blanked
Aluminium sump guard
Tree/Rock sliders.
Bank Account - Empty. 

Post #181635918th May 2017 2:06 pm
Disco_Mikey

Keep the EGR blanked, but the remap should not affect this

What we are doing by removing the map is seeing whether the map is causing the issue, or whether the issue is still there without the map Thumbs Up

There are right ways and wrong ways to remap an ECU, and there are a lot of companies who alter the pulse width of the injectors, which strictly speaking, is not necessary unless you are going for big power...
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #181636218th May 2017 2:17 pm
Leesbay

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Like johnhiggs said, sound like same symtoms mine had and was sorted by turbo actuator fix
Easy job to see if it cures your problem
 ....................................................................................................

If my wife ever sells my stuff for what she thinks I paid for them, you lot are gonna get some bargains! 

Post #181659919th May 2017 12:32 am
Landy_andy

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Monster Tunes are known to be bad maps, and engine killers. I would remove as soon as possible if I was you and get a proper remap done by one of the big boys out there.

Andy.

Post #181665219th May 2017 8:52 am
trev 1

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

When I bought my first Disco 3 it did not like hills when towing our caravan it would go into limp mode etc, nearly drove me mad! went back to where I bought it and they could not find a problem would only do it when under load ie towing, I checked every thing that could cause the problem but nothing jumped out at me, had Mike from Dynachip come over as I have used him before and as soon as he put his laptop on and downloaded the map from the car he started laughing, ( who the hell has been messing about with this he said) they have turned the turbo boost up to 28% it's a wonder it did not blow it's self to bits, once he had put his map on problem solved never did it again. I just happend to look through all the paper work and bills that came with the Disco and found one saying small engine remap done, so that was it.
 Serbian Silver 2011 Discovery 4 HSE SDV6 8 speed auto  
Post #181666819th May 2017 9:34 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Landy_andy wrote:
Monster Tunes are known to be bad maps, and engine killers. I would remove as soon as possible if I was you and get a proper remap done by one of the big boys out there.

Andy.

Allegedly, many people have had problems trying to get any money back from that particular outfit.
A quick search on arrests and bankruptcy may reveal some interesting facts.....

Personally I'd get it removed.
I never charge anything extra to get the latest LR software on the engine ecu when doing a remap, it's part of the process. That way you're always assured you have the latest ecu software at that moment in time.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #181670819th May 2017 11:11 am
MJD 3

Am taking everyone's advice and getting the re-map taken off later this week, hopefully it will stop going into limp mode when I'm driving, though may need to still change the injectors, will cross that bridge when I get it re-checked for fault codes in a couple of weeks time.

Fingers crossed.

MJD 3
 General Grabber AT3's
EGR Valves Blanked
Aluminium sump guard
Tree/Rock sliders.
Bank Account - Empty. 

Post #181801322nd May 2017 9:51 pm
MJD 3

I've had the re-map taken off and things were better though it was evident the injectors were well past their sell buy date so I've bit the expensive bullet and had a new set of injectors fitted.

Drove the disco to my parents after collecting it from the garage and I cannot believe the difference Thumbs Up Its now running smooth and silky and the MPG figure has gone back up as well (have settled for the original disco mapping). Yes its cost me a few quid but the smile is back on my face after a few frustrating weeks Very Happy Very Happy
Looking forward to getting in some laning now.

Cheers guys for all the advice, this is a top forum Bow down Bow down Bow down

MJD 3
 General Grabber AT3's
EGR Valves Blanked
Aluminium sump guard
Tree/Rock sliders.
Bank Account - Empty. 

Post #18240278th Jun 2017 9:32 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >