DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

rear brake change/handbrake shoes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
munders

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Hi all

Just a quick message to see if anyone can enlighten me about Rear Brake discs and pads, Ive been told to fit genuine and not aftermarket ones!!!!
Also there is a setting up procedure for the early Disco 3, Ive also been told there is an up to date method for the Disco 4,any one can assist or help.

Not another LR money making sceem!!!!!! I thought Mintex have been very good over the years.

Thanks

Post #133817410th Sep 2014 9:30 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Hi,

The title of your post suggests you want to replace the handbrake shoes (EPB Shoes?) but you then imply that you just want to replace the rear discs and pads?

I would be surprised if any D4 is ready for new EPB shoes at such a young age (unless you know that they have disintegrated inside the disc?).

Based on the assumption that you want to replace your rear discs and pads then you will find everything in Bodsy's Brake Bible here:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...ssPics.pdf

Bear in mind it's written for a D3, so some things will be different.

Some folks have reported issues with brake judder with some aftermarket discs. Fitting Genuine has, supposedly, rectified the issue.

If you're removing the rear discs, I would strongly recommend you strip, clean, lube, and adjust the EPB shoes whilst you're in there.

Brake stuff from Advanced Factors here:

http://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/brake-par...4-97-c.asp

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #133818110th Sep 2014 9:38 pm
munders

Hi, Thanks for speedy reply.

Hopefully the rear EPB rear shoes are ok, I have just had rear brake squeaks from pressing the foot brake and was also told that the EPB shoes might be out of adjustment.

The rear brake discs and pads are getting low, so on your message you said about setting the rear shoes, so i think I will defiantly do that.

Cheers for the advice and parts recommendation.

Thumbs Up

Post #133819310th Sep 2014 9:51 pm
Andy Foster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

+1 for Advanced Factors. Bought pads,discs and EPB shoes from them and had no issues. Great service as well. Order today and you'll have them for the weekend.

Andy

Post #133833311th Sep 2014 7:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gensetsteve

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Belize GreenDiscovery 4

If any one is thinking of changing pads and disc because of a squeek on the rear this what I had. When I removed the discs I found the the handbrake shoe linning had detached and travelled round the drum by the time it had worn out and broken up it had cooked the disc and had a crack from one side to the other. Annoying as the shoes had been changed 3 months before under warranty by Land Rover dealer who must have got the adjustment wrong.
 D4  
Post #134140216th Sep 2014 7:40 am
munders

Hi, thanks for the heads up on rear EPB shoes, will defiantly check mine over!!!! I have discs and pads waiting to be fitted.
Old one's still have a couple of thousand miles remaining.
My squeaking sound like the anti rattle spring.

Cheers thanks for the advice all. Thumbs Up

Post #134221416th Sep 2014 10:04 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Setup on the d4 is the same as d3 tbh.
LR do have an updated method, but all works the same way. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #134229116th Sep 2014 11:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gensetsteve

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Belize GreenDiscovery 4

I used the bodsy bible to do my d4 . Job would have been much harder without it and gives you more confidence what u are doing is right. I tried to program the d3 way but mine did not play ball may have been me not doing it right or u may need a computer. I made sure they did not drag and also no excessive motor noise. been good so far.
 D4  
Post #134371118th Sep 2014 8:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >