DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Rectifying a misfuel - DIY at the petrol station + photos
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4
Rectifying a misfuel - DIY at the petrol station + photos

PHOTOS ADDED AS PROMISED

My two year old son was to blame for a misfuel today. Entirely his fault. Nothing to do with me.

Had below a quarter tank of diesel and then added about 10L of petrol. Rather than fill up with diesel and risk it, I opted for a quick call to TFC, who advised on this procedure. I'll post some photos later. All the work was carried out on Asda Penryn's forecourt, bless them. I was there for about 3 hours. The alternative was a callout charge of £250 from a local garage, plus parts and fuel.

I'm sure this procedure is on here numerous times, but it won't hurt to post again.

Hopefully this procedure will help some one else.

You need:

- Length of pipe connected to a footpump valve (ideally, although a length of thin hose would do fine), footpump hose cut and connected via jubliee clip to the other hose.
- A schrader valve removing tool (on old fashioned tyre pressure gagues, tire weld, etc). Again, ideally. You don't need to remove the valve, but the fuel flow is faster with it out.
- Containers large enough to take the mixed fuel.
- A short length of domestic wire
- Rag.

Steps:

1. Realise that 132p per litre of diesel seems very cheap, then realise it's the price for unleaded.

2. Stop fuelling the car.

3. Do not turn on the ignition (this will activate the HP fuel pump, which is the thing you are trying to protect).

4. Gather the tools, above. (I had a fried who did the running around for me, plus there was a B&Q next door).

Click image to enlarge

5. Remove engine cover, locate fuel bleed valve (grey plastic tyre valve in the middle of the engine at the back).

Click image to enlarge

6. Unscrew schrader valve and remove (like a car tyre). Connect the footpump valve to the fuel bleed valve, lock it down, place the end of the pipe in the fuel container.

Click image to enlarge

7. Remove the engine compartment fuse box cover; identify the fuel pump relay (has a picture of a petrol pump on it - irony).

Click image to enlarge

8. Remove relay. Identify terminals 3 & 5 (it's the pair that show the 'switch gate' on the relay).

9. Short the terminals using the piece of wire. You'll hear nothing, but after a short while, the fuel will start to flow through the pipe. Note: it isn't fast. It took probably almost an hour to remove about 25 odd litres of fuel.

Click image to enlarge

10. Keep going until the flow stops, at which point the tank is empty. Remove the short.

Click image to enlarge

11. Refuel the car to the brim (I got 92 litres in, so the tank was totally empty).

12. Run the pump again using the bit of wire until clean diesel has come through for a while. Remove short.

13. Reassemble the schrader valve, but leave the valve cover off. Replace the relay.

14. Start the car; check for leaks. Replace covers (incl oil cap!!!)

15. Leave the forecourt.

I will replace the fuel filter on Monday as a precaution (don't have one at home).

I realise that some folk will be happy to fill diesel on top of petrol, but I want to keep this car and so didn't want to risk the engine. Doing it this way meant that the HP fuel pump and engine did not taste petrol at all, thus no harm done; just dented pride and money and fuel wasted. Thankfully, I could get the tools I needed pretty quickly and the Asda dudes didn't try too hard to move me along.

If you had to do this with a full tank of fuel, it would take a long time, so perhaps not a technique for everyone, but if you catch it early, it's an option.

My massive thanks to Iain. As usual.
 PAGODA 

Last edited by pagoda on 26th Sep 2011 9:35 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #83934324th Sep 2011 8:23 pm
gilmore

England 

Nice job Thumbs Up I take it all of this happened next to the offending pump. Did the petrol station people try to get you to move your car away from the pumps, or were they cooperative? If often wondered how garages react when this happens.
regs
rob
 All opinions expressed in this posting are my own and are not necessarily those of someone who knows what they are talking about.

Land Rover Defender V8, 50th Anniversary Edition
Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5
Ford Transit Custom (for the bikes) 

Post #83937324th Sep 2011 9:03 pm
dadof7kids

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Snigger
would like to see photos ..
for when its my young ones fault.. Whistle
 java Black D3 gone : (
Club Lux : ) GONE : ( 

Post #83937524th Sep 2011 9:05 pm
dsd1036

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Great write up Thumbs Up

Hope i never need to do it tho Whistle oops i did already Whistle a while back, only a small amount,so brimmed it with diesel,changed fuel filter,rather TFC did,not had a problem a few thousand miles past since Thumbs Up

Post #83937724th Sep 2011 9:07 pm
pagoda

gilmore wrote:
Nice job Thumbs Up I take it all of this happened next to the offending pump. Did the petrol station people try to get you to move your car away from the pumps, or were they cooperative? If often wondered how garages react when this happens.
regs
rob

Thankfully, Asda pays minimum wage it seems, so the kids operating the pay kiosk couldn't care less about my de-fuelling efforts on the forecourt. I got a few looks from an AA guy who came to help a broken down fiesta (I had plenty of time to help push that car around trying to help them bump start) and a copper gave me the once over. But in all, no worries, thankfully.

I'll get some photos tomorrow and post them here as it'll make it clear just how simple the procedure is. (Very).
 PAGODA  
Post #83939024th Sep 2011 9:33 pm
Dave T

England 

Great write up, photos will help visualise it a lot better, may even make up the rig and keep in the back, just in case.

Just on wee point of clarification, is it a case that you can't turn the key at all from the fully off position, just wondering about taking the epb off to get the car pushed to a quiet corner? Although I suppose there is always the emergency release cable, does that still work ok? If you do use the emergency cable what do you do to get it all back in sync again? Is it simply a case of operating it normally?
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #83939424th Sep 2011 9:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pagoda

Now with photos added as promised.
 PAGODA  
Post #83989526th Sep 2011 9:36 am
SHARKYSHARKS

England 

Spot on Pagoda log that one in the grey matter bank Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 MY18 D5 HSE LUX😎
MY12 Freelander SD4 HSE
44 Tonne 12 Litre 6x2 Scania T cab (Current)
Freelander 1 (Wrote off 😫)
Ex D1
Ex D2 GS
Ex V8 D2 GS
Ex D3 S
Ex D4 GS
Club skip ya lockers !!!
Club BAS remote heater !!
Club Duratrac
Club Phillips DRL
Club Prospeed Rack Mk 1
Club Prospeed Rack Mk 2
Club Sankey
Club RLD spare wheel protector

Post #83989726th Sep 2011 9:42 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Following on from rob gilmores comment ...I'm not sure it's really a good idea (or legal) to be fannying around with electrics and fuel right next to pumps on the forecourt...perhaps best done in a quiet corner where your motor can burn without fear of creating a thermo-nuclear blast Laughing
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #83990326th Sep 2011 9:57 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

really good write up Thumbs Up .

hopefully ill never need to use it.

I dont have a two year old son so unlikely to do anything so daft Laughing Wink Whistle

I might just try and drain the tank this way just to see how it works Thumbs Up
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #83991426th Sep 2011 10:14 am
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I wouldnt worry about trying to move it - I suspect standard operating procedure for any petrol forecourt is leave well alone and let the punter sort it out.not worth the risk of insisting its moved. I blocked up a pump at a busy Sainsburys for 4 hours and they weren't fussed.

Impressed with the ingenuity but for £250 I'd rather pay someone - that way if it goes wrong I don't get the bill for 10x as much! Also if you diy you've then got to find a home for contaminated fuel.
 Tony

Club RLD Wheel Protector & Sump Guard
Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #83991526th Sep 2011 10:15 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

ruggedpeak wrote:
I wouldnt worry about trying to move it - I suspect standard operating procedure for any petrol forecourt is leave well alone and let the punter sort it out.not worth the risk of insisting its moved.

Forecourts are quite highly regulated and the forecourt staff shouldn't permit the dispensing or flow of fuel outside the prescribed methods under the legislated acts ...not saying that the procedure pagoda has used is wrong but it's where its being done that might cause an issue for some Smile
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #83993026th Sep 2011 10:49 am
pagoda

I can well believe it, but with £250+ at stake they'd have had to try very hard indeed to move me!! (Thankfully, it was an offside pump and other cars could pull around. I was lucky).
 PAGODA  
Post #83995026th Sep 2011 11:32 am
mrscdsymons

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

gilmore wrote:
regs
rob

I've done this twice in 9 years, luckily not in my D3. However in relation to garage reaction in both asda and tesco's they have been mighty helpful. They popped cones around car, got out a triangle and gave me both RAC and AA details. Covered with RAC for breakdown but they wanted over £200 to sort as it's not part of policy. Hubby towed me home with his D3, fixed for about a £5 for a pipe and an hours time. I got great service in both occasions. 1st incident taught me not to start engine..wrote that off!! Rolling with laughter
 Loving my D3!  
Post #83997726th Sep 2011 12:30 pm
zebadee

Ireland 

Great write up Thumbs Up

Like other have said I hope I never need to use it though Smile

Can I just ask, why run the pump by removing the relay & shorting out the terminals, as opposed to just switching on the key when you've connected the hose to the valve ??

Post #83998126th Sep 2011 12:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >