Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Remove ns front inner arch?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Kitetraveller

France 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Remove ns front inner arch?

Screens and headlight washers have stopped working.
Fuses good.
Have searched on here and found I need to remove wheel arch and inner arch to access the washer pump.
Wheel arch removed, how do I remove the inner liner to access the washer pump please?

D4 MY2011. HSE

Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Andy

Post #235665523rd Dec 2023 2:31 pm
HairyFool

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Haven't had to take the D4 one off yet but the shield is the same part number as the D3 which I have.

They use a couple of screws but mostly use push rivets with a centre pin. Clean off any road dirt to find the rivets, lever out the centre pin most of the way then pull the whole rivet.

Remove the mudflap if you have one and prise out the back end from the inner wing, drop the rear end and rotate to release the front.

As many are often missing or damaged it is a good idea to get some spare ANR2224 rivets £2.15 for 5 (LR) or £7.63 for 50 (Amazon) Missing screws are similarly expensive but wafer head (as the integrated washer type are sometimes called) 4mm x 20mm are readily available.

While you have it out take the time to clean out the crud caught behind the arch lining between the inner and outer wing at the back. I was astounded to find no corrosion resulting from the wet leaves and detritus but I suspect I was lucky.
 A visitor from the dark side, my other vehicle is an MG5 EV  
Post #235676524th Dec 2023 7:24 pm
Kitetraveller

Many thanks for the details! I have ordered the correct tool to get those bloomin plastic rivets out, and replacements for the ones that will no doubt get damaged during the process.

I have had info about the 2 washer pumps so plan to order those before stripping everything apart. The car is a daily driver so needs to go back together quickly, hence trying to get everything I need before pulling it all apart.

Merry Christmas👍

Post #235676924th Dec 2023 8:15 pm
Kitetraveller

Inner wheel arch removed and washer bottle in plain sight!👍👍

Looks like level sensor on the left (outboard side), probably front and rear jets in the centre and headlamp jets to the right (inboard side). Does that seem about right please?

Click image to enlarge

Post #235704228th Dec 2023 3:13 pm
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Can you swap the connectors (between pumps) and see if the fault follows the pump or the wiring? That would be a good starting point.

Failing that, get someone to put their fingers on the two pumps and see which one 'buzzes' when you operate the (good) rear screen.

Good luck Thumbs Up
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #235705828th Dec 2023 4:19 pm
Kitetraveller

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
So the rightmost one is the screen washers, pumps left for front screen and right for rear screen apparently.
Left pump is headlight washers and that works when I turn on the headlights first then try the screen washers. Doesn’t work at all without the headlights on…doh!
Took the connector off the right hand pump, put a meter on it and pulled the string attached to the wiper stalk….got power to the connector👍👍
Removed the pump (really glad I had just filled the washer bottle🙀🙀) and bench tested it with 12v but nothing.
I will order a replacement pump and see if that is the fix.
Part numbers on the pump in case they are of any use.
Cheers.

Click image to enlarge

Post #235706728th Dec 2023 5:40 pm
HairyFool

The rubber grommet the pump goes through tends to go hard and may not seal once disturbed, best to get new ones if possible.
Post #235708828th Dec 2023 7:42 pm
Kitetraveller

Thanks for the heads up👍👍

Post #235710228th Dec 2023 9:43 pm
HairyFool

Washer pump grommet LR027687.

And careful putting the liner back in, the washer hose can fall off Whistle
Post #235710328th Dec 2023 10:03 pm
Kitetraveller

Thanks again👍

Post #235712429th Dec 2023 9:17 am
Kitetraveller

So the replacement pump arrived, complete with new washer/grommet thing👍
Checked that it worked, restripped the wheel arch inner and installed the new pump. Pushed on the small hoses that feed the washers and away I went.

PROBLEM!
Pull the washer stalk and no water out of the bonnet jets, but noise from the motor. Initially I thought it was taking time for the water to work its way through the pipes, but no joy.
Scratching my head about possible airlocks/compressed air up the pipe etc. when the dog jumps out of the boot (which was open, he likes to watch the world from there). Comes alondside me and then shakes himself off as if he has been in the shower!

Anyway, turns out I had managed to switch the hoses to the pump and had been spraying the dog with the rear washer whilst innocently looking at the bonnet jets!

Switched the hoses and all works as it should, cost me a few dog treats as an apology though🤣🤣

Thanks for your advice folks, greatly appreciated!

Click image to enlarge

Post #23578475th Jan 2024 10:41 pm
Norfolk

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hi all

Both of my washers have stopped working. I did get a low fluid warning before they stopped but topped up and a couple of days later they both stopped. Silence when either control is pressed. Have checked both the fuses (engine compartment and #11 behind glove box so would now suspect a faulty pump except it is both pumps. Just about to take the wheel and liner off as per but wonder if there is anything else I could check first?

Post #235959821st Jan 2024 2:09 pm
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Mine started working again today the tanks freeze up unless you have very concentrated screen wash and take a long while to thaw out .

Post #235960021st Jan 2024 2:28 pm
Kitetraveller

On mine there are 2 pumps and a sensor in the bottom of the reservoir. Sensor on the left in the photo.
The pump in the middle is for the headlight washers, and the pump on the right does both front and rear screens, depending on which lever you pull, or button you push in the cab.

Start the car, put your headlights on and then pull the washer stalk as if to wash the front screen. If you get headlight wash but no screen wash, it is only one pump that has stopped. If no headlamp wash either, it would appear that both pumps have stopped working at the same time, seems unusual!

Click image to enlarge

I removed the inner wing and tested the pump by giving it direct 12v power and it did not work.
I removed the pump and ordered a replacement. My replacement came with a new grommet to seal it into the washer bottle.
Make sure you test the new pump before fitting it into the washer bottle! Just connect it to the plug and try it whilst it is hanging in mid air.
Make sure you connet the hoses for the washers the correct way round…see my previous comment about a wet dog🤣🤣🤣
Its well worth getting a proper metal tool for removing the clips that hold the wing in place.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need pics or part numbers etc.
Good luck!

Norfolk wrote:
Hi all

Both of my washers have stopped working. I did get a low fluid warning before they stopped but topped up and a couple of days later they both stopped. Silence when either control is pressed. Have checked both the fuses (engine compartment and #11 behind glove box so would now suspect a faulty pump except it is both pumps. Just about to take the wheel and liner off as per but wonder if there is anything else I could check first?

Post #235960221st Jan 2024 2:42 pm
Norfolk

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks. Ice in the motors would explain it. Very mild today in Norfolk but I wonder if I can get some heat in there

Post #235960321st Jan 2024 2:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >