Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Replacing Washer Bottle.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Mike767

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Replacing Washer Bottle.

Tackled this today as mine was leaking and getting the "low washer fluid" message less than 24 hours after refilling. I think the part will vary depending on whether or not you have headlamp power wash installed. Took me about 4 hours in total, bottle was about £34 from GS Knutsford.

I raised the suspension to improve access before I started. Consider using axle stands, although I did not need to venture beneath the car. You will need to remove the front grille, towing eye cover and both headlamp units to give you the required access. Instructions are in the handbook, easy except I needed a little WD40 on the headlamp release sliders to free them.

You then need to remove both side wheel arch covers which are held in place by a combination of screws/clips. Under each wheel arch are 5 plastic "Rawlplug" type fixings that comprise two parts. Chances are, they are hidden by mud. Using a small screw driver, remove the centre part of each fixing. Then remove the plug itself. Take care that you get all the parts as you will need to refit them later. If you have mud flaps, then remove the two small bolts that are visible. There are also two cross head screws located at the front, one connects to the bumper and another holds the wheel arch liner in place. Finally, remove the small cross head screw that can be found in the headlamp recess. This goes through the metal of the front wing to hold the wheel arch cover in place. The front of the wheel arch cover locates into a slot in the bumper, lifting up and out may be required to separate the two.

Once both sides are removed, you can start on removing the bumper itself. There are 4 hex bolts and two more cross head screws located on the bottom. Additionally, there is a larger hex bolt at each end that was previously hidden by the wheel arch cover. Six more small bolts are located on the top surface, these are found in the recess where the grille and headlamps were fitted. Take care when removing the bumper as the wiring loom is not that long. A plug can be disconnected in the O/S headlamp recess if you want to completely remove the bumper. I supported mine on a small chair so that the wiring was not stretched. You should now be able to access the washer bottle.

I removed both pumps using gentle leverage. You should also disconnect the plug that is attached to the float switch. Finally, remove the filler neck by pulling. There are three small bolts and one larger one that secure the tank in place. Two of the small bolts and the large one are easily visible from the front. The remaining small bolt secures from the top, access is gained via the headlamp recess and is a little awkward. Again, take care when removing the bottle as you will need to transfer the motor and filler neck seals as well as the float switch and seal to your new tank. Make sure you replace the float switch the right way up. There is also a brass fitting which the large bolt passed through.

Refitting is the opposite process. I would recommend that you run a leak/function test as soon as the tank is back in place. It occurred to me that one of the motors or float mechanism may have been the culprit and it would have been annoying if I discovered this after putting everything back in place!

The eventual cause of the leak was a failed "weld" in the body of the plastic bottle. Not visible to the naked eye, possibly a result of the recent cold weather and useless screen wash...

Post #74459010th Jan 2011 7:56 pm
ronk

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

A good write up!

I was forced to put mine into my sevice agent for the fix today £94 total bill. It was cold an wet outside and my legs are not so good at the moment due to a spinal op last year - so no options unfortunately.

Post #74997620th Jan 2011 9:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mike767

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Sounds like a bargain. I was hearing tales of 4 hours labour plus the usual parts. Thumbs Up

Post #75006320th Jan 2011 11:49 pm
ronk

I use an independant Land Rover Approved agent up here. Team Valley Land Rover. I have never heard a bad word against them. They have always looked afte me very well.

Four hours would be a real shocker Big Cry

Just checked my bill and its one hour labour and the washer bottle Total damage £95 inc the 20% to help the government!

Post #75015121st Jan 2011 10:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Mike767 wrote:
Sounds like a bargain. I was hearing tales of 4 hours labour plus the usual parts. Thumbs Up

I think 4 hours is for doing it yourself, laid on your back on the driveway. Anyone who has a ramp and has done it before should be able to do it in no time Thumbs Up
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #75015221st Jan 2011 10:57 am
ronk

They charged me a nominal one hour. Even if my legs were working properly I wouldn't want to roll about in the cold and wet on the drive. If I had a nice warm dry garage I would have a bash Thumbs Up

Anyway its done now and the pain only lasted for a few seconds while the credit card went thro!

Post #75035521st Jan 2011 6:15 pm
chesters

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Thanks for the Guide job done

MIKE767

Thanks for the guide I have swapped the washer bottle over this morning.
It took me about one and a half hours.
Saved about £100 doing it myself.
Very Happy

Cheers Paul.
 Arctic Frost Discovery 3 TDV6 SE, Active Rear Diff, Adaptive Head Lights, Tow Pack, Ebony Leather, Roof Rails, Mantec Guard. Tasmod Stainless Sill plates. Grabber AT's. Home made mud flaps. Side Steps back on until the next time.  
Post #101167530th Nov 2012 12:48 pm
ronk

Re: Thanks for the Guide job done

chesters wrote:
MIKE767

Thanks for the guide I have swapped the washer bottle over this morning.
It took me about one and a half hours.
Saved about £100 doing it myself.
Very Happy

Cheers Paul.

They did mine for £94 (total bill) last year! Very Happy

Post #10120491st Dec 2012 12:32 pm
chesters

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

They wanted £78 + parts + VAT, so thought I'd better have a go myself seeing year 7 service and MOT in 10 days time £700. Big Cry

At Team Valley Landrover.
 Arctic Frost Discovery 3 TDV6 SE, Active Rear Diff, Adaptive Head Lights, Tow Pack, Ebony Leather, Roof Rails, Mantec Guard. Tasmod Stainless Sill plates. Grabber AT's. Home made mud flaps. Side Steps back on until the next time.  
Post #10124242nd Dec 2012 11:54 am
ronk

It was a year ago I suppose!

My seven year service is due in March next year - and the MOT - and the insurance! Its a bad month for bills.
Never mind, your last shirt has no pockets Smile

Post #10124362nd Dec 2012 12:22 pm
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Is low water level sensor a seperate part?

After 13 years of service, my windscreen washer bottle is leaking. I am going to try to change it out myself thanks to Mike767's excellent post above.

Additionally I found a bumper removal video per the link below.

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/help-can-i-...her+bottle

My question however relates to the low washer fluid level sensor. I think my sensor may be defective and hence turned off in the programming as apparently that was the warranty "fix" when the sensor acted up which was common back then.

When I purchase a new tank, LR part # DMB500040, (as I have the headlight washers), will it come with a new internal low water level sensor or is that something I order separately? If so, does anyone know the part number?

I saw a reference to "float switch the right way up" in Mike's post above so that suggests the part might be separate from the tank. I had thought it was included but perhaps I am wrong.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #19712616th Aug 2018 4:29 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The float switch is a separate item I believe, as are the rubber grommets that seal the float switch, and the pumps in place.( it is worth replacing these grommets if yours are quite old, as they can leak. Mine was leaking from one of these, so the bottle did not require replacing, and all could be accessed from behind the wheelarch liner, i.e... no bumper removal required). Thumbs Up
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #19712816th Aug 2018 5:23 pm
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
will remove the wheel well liner first

I was thinking maybe I should remove the wheel well liner first just in case the leak was not the bottom seam. I guess I will do that - sure would be easier than finding out the hard way.

I will keep you informed - later this week I suppose.

Thank you.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #19713787th Aug 2018 2:47 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >