Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Reset FBH
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Did you remember to remove the fuse for 30 seconds while the was in sleep mode, i.e radio display and handbrake light off.

I have no idea why, but it was part of the reset instructions posted on this site.

Post #22756024th Nov 2007 2:13 pm
philhunt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

countrywide wrote:
Did you remember to remove the fuse for 30 seconds while the was in sleep mode, i.e radio display and handbrake light off.

I have no idea why, but it was part of the reset instructions posted on this site.

Yes - the engine had been switched off for at least 10 minutes or so.

If removing the fuse to reset the FBH is the same as removing the FBH connector, fuse removal is a lot easier

Post #22756924th Nov 2007 2:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
philhunt

FBH

Phoned my local main stealer yesterday and described the problem of the FBH not starting (+ all that I'd done to rectify myself) to the workshop manager. He expressed surprise that the FBH wasn't working, told me that it would have to be 3C or less (rather than 5C or less) for it to kick in and he added that in all his experience he had never come across an instance where an FBH had failed to start!

I was about to ask him what his experience amounted to when he offered to put the diagnostics thingy on it whilst I waited tomorrow morning (Saturday) at 9.00am. I did ask him how he could create the trigger temperature (3C / 5C) so that the FBH would kick in and he said his bit of kit would be able to tell the FBH to ignore the actual outside temperature. If this is the case, maybe the FBH can be programmed to kick in at a temperature of one's choice?

Watch this space - will keep you posted

Post #2317767th Dec 2007 6:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Try unplugging it for about an hour, I had issues with mine when testing it after fitting the timer, unplugging it for 10mins only partly fixed it (pumped but did not fire), unplugging it for an hour did the trick. No I don't know why but it's gotta be worth a try Confused
 The End  
Post #2318927th Dec 2007 9:29 pm
philhunt

FBH Reset

As it's booked in to the main stealer tomorrow under warranty I'll see what happens when I go there. If they draw a blank or if they fix it and it then fails again at some future time I'll give your suggestion a go.

As removing fuse 28 in the engine bay is easier than removing the connector, I assume that removing the fuse for an hour will do the job.

Everything's worth a try with Land Rovers!

Post #2319027th Dec 2007 9:58 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Dunno about the fuse, I removed the connector which only takes 2 seconds, but presumably it'd have the same effect
 The End  
Post #2319167th Dec 2007 10:55 pm
philhunt

FBH reset

Took the motor to the main stealer today as arranged and it was in the workshop for about an hour. When it was brought out, the Workshop manager told me that the ambient temperature sensor was sending the wrong temperature reading to the ecu which was the cause of the FBH not firing up as it should (or something along those lines).

I was asked to book it in for a day or preferably 2 days for them to take a proper look at it. Can't see what would take up to 2 days for them 2 sort so will see if there's anything else I can add to the list. Does what I was told make sense or was it b Censored s for "don't know exactly what's causing the problem"? The ambient temperature sensor certainly seems to be sending the correct temperature to the dash display.

Post #2321688th Dec 2007 11:44 pm
al cope

England 

guys - noticed the last few days mines been really slow to warm up (engine temp), and FBH doesnt seem to be working, no exhaust output from FBH. Checked 20A fuse, OK. Tried the unplug, reset trick, still nothing. Full tank of deisel, so shouldnt be short of fuel.

any more ideas? Stealer job?

Al

booked in for thursday - let you know the outcome
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Last edited by al cope on 10th Dec 2007 4:18 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #23239910th Dec 2007 10:04 am
philhunt

Reset FBH

In Essex, apart from last Saturday morning (8th Dec) when the outside temperature was 4C, the temperature has been more than 5C for over a week now so a properly working FBH wouldn't have been igniting.

If your motor's coolant is cold and the outside temperature is less than 4C and the FBH hasn't been firing up then (as you've been through the reset routine) IMHO it's a job for your local stealer as with mine. Big Cry

Post #23241910th Dec 2007 11:31 am
Pelyma

England 

The radio trick worked on early cars that had a timer setting in the settings menu, this was removed with the enhancement update Big Cry
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #23242910th Dec 2007 12:35 pm
al cope

England 

Latest - its in the stealers right now. so.....

Call from Stealer service guy - "yes sir, cars has been run low on fuel a few times, so heater now needs a reset" OK says me. "thats chargeable sir" - like f*ck it is says me. Show me where in the handbook its says if you run low on fuel you get charged for a reset - do you want me to call LR custy services?. Silence from service guy, then OK sir, we'll do it FOC. Thank you says me (not wanting to Censored him off).

Less than 10mins later, another call, well, we've reset it sir, it still wont work (nows theres a surprise, the only reason it was there was the reset I'd tried hadnt fixed it).

watch this space.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #23366713th Dec 2007 3:38 pm
philhunt

Keep us up to date Al - if your local stealer manages to fix the problem we'll need to know what it was - it may be that I'll have to pass the info. on to the workshop manager at mine when it goes in on 27th!!! Confused

Post #23367013th Dec 2007 3:46 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

This might help
Quote:
Operation of the FFBH is controlled by a medium speed CAN bus message from the ATCM, which contains the operating mode required of the FFBH. When the message contains the heating mode, the control module in the FFBH starts the FFBH.

While the medium speed CAN bus is active, the control module sends these messages:

The control module will not start the FFBH, or will discontinue operation, if any of the following occur:

The control module is in the lockout mode (see Diagnostics at the end of this section).
A crash message is received from the restraints control module. For additional information, refer to Air Bag and Safety Belt Pretensioner Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) (501-20B Supplemental Restraint System)

A low fuel level message is received from the instrument cluster. For additional information, refer to Instrument Cluster (413-01 Instrument Cluster)

The battery voltage is too low. When starting the FFBH, battery voltage must be 10.25 - 15.5 volts. When the FFBH is running, operation will be discontinued if battery voltage decreases to less than 10.25 volts.
The FFBH is controlled at one of two heat output levels, 2.5 kW at part load combustion and 5 kW at full load combustion.

Quote:
Supplementary Heating
Supplementary heating is requested by the ATCM while the engine is running if the ambient temperature is less than 5 °C (41 °F) and the engine coolant temperature is less than 75 °C (167 °F).

The ATCM cancels supplementary heating if the ambient temperature increases to 5 °C (41 °F), the engine coolant temperature increases to 75 °C (167 °F), or the engine stops.

Diagnostics
The control module monitors the FFBH system for faults. Any faults detected are stored in a volatile memory in the control module, which can be interrogated by T4. A maximum of three faults and associated freeze frame data can be stored at any one time. If a further fault is detected, the oldest fault is overwritten by the new fault.

The control module also incorporates an error lockout mode of operation that inhibits operation to prevent serious faults from causing further damage to the system. In the error lockout mode, the control module immediately stops the auxiliary fuel pump, and stops the combustion air fan and circulation pump after a cool down time of approximately 2 minutes. Error lockout occurs for start sequence failures, combustion flameouts, heat exchanger casing overheat and if battery voltage is out of limits. The error lockout mode can be cleared using T4, or by disconnecting the battery power supply (connector C0926) for a minimum of 10 seconds.

Start Failure and Flameout: If a start sequence fails to establish combustion, or a flameout occurs after combustion is established, the control module immediately initiates another start sequence. The start failure or flameout is also recorded by an event timer in the control module. The event timer is increased by one after each start failure or flameout, and decreased by one if a subsequent start is successful. If the event timer increases to three (over any number of drive cycles), the control module enters the error lockout mode.

Heat Exchanger Casing Overheat: To protect the system from excessive temperatures, the control module enters the error lockout mode if the heat exchanger coolant temperature exceeds 125 °C (257 °F).

Battery Voltage Limits: 10.25 - 15.5 volts.

Based on the above, it's possible that an internal sensor fault in the FFBH or low battery votage is preventing operation, if it was a combustion or fuel pump problem, the FFBH would run for 90 sconds then stop

Post #23368413th Dec 2007 4:36 pm
philhunt

FBH Reset

Thanks Iain - very helfpul.

Have delayed arranging anything with you vis a vis Torq Tune as the local stealer's going to be fiddling around with the motor on 27th and 28th so will be in touch when the fbh issue has been fixed Thumbs Up

Post #23369113th Dec 2007 4:50 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

No worries mate! Thumbs Up

Post #23369313th Dec 2007 4:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >