Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Roof Bars n'Boxes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Drookit Dug

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Roof Bars n'Boxes

Probably running the risk of repeating others questions here but I think it's worth it. I plan to mount a roof box om my roof bars but would like to ask those that have already done this; What is the largest box available and where is the best place to source it from.?
I would need the box to open from both sides but I'm not even sure a roof box is really any good. It's honesty time now! Has anyone out there bought a box thinking it was a good idea but never used it or only used it a couple of times?
I use my Disco to tow a large caravan on holiday and am trying to keep the weight evenly spread. Would a roof box really help or are the weight restrictions on roof boxes prohibitive?
Sorry for the number of questions but I have owned many Landy's but never owned a roof box!
Dug

Post #32369819th Jul 2008 10:24 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 
Re: Roof Bars n'Boxes

Drookit Dug wrote:
What is the largest box available and where is the best place to source it from.?

Weight limit is normally the issue, think it is 75Kg whatever size of box so you need to understand what you will be putting in there and work back from the density to decide what box size - eg if it is small/heavy stuff then no point having a big box...

Drookit Dug wrote:
...and am trying to keep the weight evenly spread.

Wouldn't worry about that, roof load has to come off the D3 capacity in any case but 75Kg on the weight of the D3 + van would make much difference IMHO. Roof boxes are great for keeping stuff seperate from main luggage (wet gear etc), and for luggage space when full of peeps but I personally would use one just to move weight from the van to the roof, I don't think there are any real weight distribution benefits but plenty of access/drag problems. Good if you have some gear that you want to keep out of the van though, wet or beach stuff being a good example.
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #32377020th Jul 2008 10:22 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >