Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Roof mounted Bikes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
hughesajc

Roof mounted Bikes

I'm still undecided on how to transport 2 adult bikes because I do not have a towbar.One option could be to mount the bikes on the roof but even with the suspension lowered and using the sidesteps it seems a very awkard and possibly dangerous task !!! Shocked Has anyone got any words of wisdom on putting bikes on the roof,how to do it safely and any recommended transport systems ?

Many Thanks for any help

Tony

Post #3166032nd Jul 2008 9:36 am
garyr

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Used to roof mount with my D2 - Would not even attempt to do with my D3 as I like my paintwork as it is.

Its not easy to roof mount - your to off balance and its awkward. Buy a detachable tow bar and your options become more numerous and safe Very Happy
 56 Tonga Green HSE.  
Post #3166392nd Jul 2008 10:32 am
The Large One

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Ain't that difficult...
Need 2 people though
Here's some photos of when i displayed one in our showroom to give you an idea

Click image to enlarge

Here they are sat on the floor fitted to the roof cross rails

Sorry about the name across the front but when they were on ebay i keep getting people highjacking my photos.

Nick

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 TLO has left the building.......
I no longer work for a Landrover Dealer

My little chilli sauce business http://www.thechillees.co.uk
if you would like to order anything just give me a shout 

Post #3166832nd Jul 2008 1:02 pm
hughesajc

Thanks again for the advice - really helpful !!

Post #3166932nd Jul 2008 1:27 pm
timd3

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

We have used both maxxraxx and also roof mounted bike racks with the D3 (LR one - which is essentially the same at the Thule with the ratchet tightener - Pro-bike version I think its called) .

When loaded-up for holidays - we typically have two bikes on top on drivers side - with bodyboards/skimboards lashed on the left. We have the first bike (the one in the middle) facing backwards and the one on the outer edge facing forward. I lower the tailgate of the rear door and stand on that - lift the first bike and run it along the bike carrier channel (at an angle to get around the ratchet) - then straighten it up and tighten up the ratchet. I can lock the bike in place then. The next bike on is a little trickier to do - could be easier if you have someone to help - but I've done successfully on my own on numerous occasions. Do the same thing - stand on back ledge - roll along the channel at an angle (be careful the front wheel doesn't "wander" out of the channel - I then use a bungy strap to hold the second bike up (off the first bike). Jump down - then stand on the rear wheel (maybe foot on the wheel arch inside the rear door too) to tighten the ratchet on bike number two. Then do the wheel straps on the bikes and job done.

We then have three bikes on our 4-bike maxxraxx - one caravan - and 3 excited kids, one worried wife and an impressed D3 owner. What else can do all this!!

You do need to remember that you are then quite a tall vehicle - so just remember and be sensible! Wink

Helps if the bikes aren't a dead weight and that you are not height challenged - I'm 6'1''. Also, it goes without saying that you should do all the bike rack set up on the deck before putting bikes up top.

Hope this helps - its do-able, not everyone's cup of tea, but can be done.

cheers, Tim
 2007 TDV6SE Auto Stornoway Grey - now sold...  
Post #3166952nd Jul 2008 1:32 pm
timd3

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

just saw your post Nick - we got ours from Nick Thumbs Up Thumbs Up - very happy Wink
 2007 TDV6SE Auto Stornoway Grey - now sold...  
Post #3166962nd Jul 2008 1:33 pm
hughesajc

Thanks Tim

That's really helpful

Post #3167002nd Jul 2008 1:39 pm
CY

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

The LR roof carrier is essentially the Thule 591 system. By far the easiest and more secure way to carry them. The handle for securing the main grip is positioned low down and simply needs turning (it can also be locked).

They are also safer room mounted on the D3 when you're parked up, people are less likely to climb up there to get them Wink
 2007 Porsche Boxster (987) 2.7
2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE G4 Challenge (1 of 68)
2023 Defender 90 D250 X-Dynamic HSE 

Post #3167112nd Jul 2008 2:02 pm
Dexter

Scotland 

I often carry four bikes on the roof and use the tintent step to stand on to get them up there. I'm over 6 foot so it's pretty straightforward and as we usually only take the bikes when we also have the tintent, the step is always with us.

Just got to remember to tell swmbo when I've nicked the step to stop her couping out the door Rolling with laughter

Dex

Post #3167922nd Jul 2008 5:41 pm
garyr

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I assume thats why Nicks the large one - he can reach the roof easy Very Happy

Not saying it cant be done. I did it for a long time with the D2. I have two Trek full suspension bikes and it does take two people. One slip and you are either covered in chain lube or the roof has a shimano stamp on it.

Can easily be done but I prefer the easy option - Maxxraxx on a tow bar Thumbs Up

Good Luck
 56 Tonga Green HSE.  
Post #32027110th Jul 2008 10:25 am
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

CY wrote:

They are also safer room mounted on the D3 when you're parked up, people are less likely to climb up there to get them Wink

After mentally adding up the cost of Thule rear bike rack, removable towbar, and the bikes and then having to go for a lay down, I now lock both the rear carrier and the bikes to the recovery point with a suitable cable and padlock when on the road and having to park up.

I am sure the right tools would dispatch the system in a few minutes, but it certainly looks secure to the casual observer and makes a nice deterrent.

Thule rack does lock last bike on, but this also stops my quick release wheels etc going missing and gives me peace of mind.
 Disco3 is now gone but not forgotten. Waiting for Disco6 with full aluminium construction weight reduction and hybrid engine...  
Post #32046910th Jul 2008 5:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >