Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Roof Rails, Cross Bars, or Both?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
freddy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Roof Rails, Cross Bars, or Both?

I'm planning to take the family on holiday in the Disco and need as much luggage carrying capacity as possible. Do I need to buy roof rails, cross bars, a Thule-type box, or a combination of the three? Duckworth do some rails at £108 + VAT, which I didn't think too bad, but then there are cross bars and/or a luggage rack to consider. It all adds up. Confused

Any advice would be appreciated. Ta.

Post #22853527th Nov 2007 11:12 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Go with the Duckworth option they will tell you what you need. Thumbs Up sounds like you have got it sussed.

Have you had clearance from PaulnhisGirls to use your D3 in such a useful way.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #22853627th Nov 2007 11:21 am
freddy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Quote:
Have you had clearance from PaulnhisGirls to use your D3 in such a useful way.

I'll make sure that I splash through a few puddles first to get that authentic off-road look! Laughing

Post #22854027th Nov 2007 11:41 am
nosweat

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Genuine roof rails - Any tips on use?

Folks,

I have just picked up the Disco last week and managed to get a set of crossbars thrown in to the deal Smile

Downside is that they seem really fiddly to fit / remove as the rails seem to taper slightly, plus they do not run too well up the rails. I think this might be down to the rails tapering slightly from middle to front and rear.

Has anyone got any tips on how to fit / remove these quickly and easily. I'm used to fitting Thule crossbars onto an estate and even the Audi roofrack to the TT Coupe with bolts in a matter of minutes and so far I have managed about 15mins to fit and remove them to the Disco... including having to undo the allen bolts to allow the width to vary a fraction. I don't use them often enough to justify leaving them on really, so any tips received gratefully.

Hopefully this may also help with the other post in terms of what to buy and use if people have good / bad feedback.

Thanks
nosweat.

Post #22868027th Nov 2007 6:33 pm
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Quick spray with WD40 into the rails works wonders, prior to removal/prior to installation.
Also make sure that when you take the front one off, you put it back on the front, and vice-versa.

Mine took ages to fit the one time i had taken them off, then realised i had front on the back - so swapped'em round and they slid straight into place. Rolling Eyes

Post #22870327th Nov 2007 8:18 pm
disco_doozle

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

So you are saying that there is a difference ???

A front and a rear cross-bar ???

How to thel the difference ???

thx
 Disco 3 TDV6 Aut. 7 seat, Zambezi silver, Privacy glass, Rosen A9 DVD, Tow-kit, K&N airfilter, Frontrunner Windcheetah + 4xHella Comet 550, tailgate ladder, 5 breaklights Smile, Performance BB6 17" + Duratracs 256/70R17, RLD Skid-plate, Traxide second battery setup, Lightguards, BAS EGR's blank kit, BAS Silicone hose, Black bonnet decal,  
Post #22882628th Nov 2007 11:01 am
nosweat

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
More crossbars

I don't think the bars are different, possibly just adjusted to different widths via the little allen key screw accessed on each end by pulling off the tiny trip strip. Hence the front might be wider / narrower than the rear, hence "different"

My problem was when I removed them on picking the car up, the rear was so tight that I had to locate this allen key bolt and then loosen it to allow the rear bar to slide to the middle and lift out.

From what other people are saying, it sounds like if the bars are set up properly and the rails lubricated then they should slide in and out pretty easily. Sounds like I just need more fiddling on a ladder and a bit of WD40 to get them set right, then a bit of coloured tape to just identify which is front and which is rear is needed to make life easier.

Thanks for the help so far folks.
nosweat

Post #22883028th Nov 2007 11:28 am
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Sorry should of made it clearer -

there is no actual front and rear cross bar. However there is some degree of tolerance between the distance (width) from the front of the rail and the back of the rail. So if you set your bars up one will naturally be longer than the other to accomodate this tolerance. I'm sure if you measure it, you'll probably find a few mm difference between the bar length at the front and the bar length at the rear.
Think that makes sense Confused

Post #22883228th Nov 2007 11:38 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >