Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Scandinavia 2017 Road Trip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 9 123456789>
spikekellyrm

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
Scandinavia 2017 Road Trip

Well, after reading a few threads on here I've, decided to go to Norway... In 7 weeks time. No time like the present!

This week has been spent researching and reading previous experiences so I thought I would create one super thread where I will share my planning and hopefully, the trip itself.

If you've any experience relating to any element of my planning, be it euro tunnel, moving through certain areas, ferries, food, equipment, prep, tips or just want to give me some abuse, please voice it. All advice would be greatly appreciated.

The aim was originally to go all the way to Nordkapp, Norway. But I only had 2 weeks off. Despite it being a considerable distance, I felt it would be a shame to go all that way, spend all that money and not make the most northerly point.
I've got some extra leave to take so I've bolted that onto the start of the period and that should make it worthwhile. (Providing I can return home for the first weekend)

Here is a general outline of my plan:

Phase 1
Move from Manchester: ~late 26th/early 27 March
Tunnel: 27th
Ferry: Fehmahn - Rodby Ferry ? date
Continue to Lulea Airport
Arrive NLT: 30th
Fly from Lulea early 31st

During this phase I will be on my own. The thought behind it being, bomb it up as far north as I can whilst on my todd. I then have to fly home Friday, return to Lulea sunday with my Mrs, then continue the next two weeks at a more leisurely pace.

Phase 2
Lulea Airport: Land 2nd April
Move to Nordkapp
Move south through Norway at slower pace
Ferry: Larvik to Hirtshals Ferry date ?
Move to tunnel
Tunnel: Early 15th April
Arrive Manchester: Late 15th April
Go to work: Late 16th

I'm finding it hard to judge when to book the Tunnel and more so, the Ferries. Don't allow enough time and we will miss it. Leave too much time and we are wasting time hanging around lorry parks waiting for the Ferry therefore meaning we have less time in our destination.

Currently undecided on tent situation. I binned my 2 man dome tent that I'd had 18 years as it turned itself inside out during Icefest. I've another ground tent and something called 'autotent' that my Dad gave me from his old 90. I've not seen it but it sounds like a similar style to the Oztent design. Considered a roof tent too but it's a big outlay and lots of space on the roof taken up. We won't have the option of sleeping inside the car if the weather is bad so whatever we choose, we may take a small dome tent incase of high winds.

That's all I've got for now. Plan on booking things this week, starting with the flights as if I can't return for that weekend, we can't go at all.

Any advice, no matter how basic or obvious it may seem, send it!

Dan
 D4.5 Facelift, Lazer ST4, Prospeed underbody and rack, IID BT, Compomotive/BFG KO2, Series MFlaps, RAI, Dog Gd+XBB, Alive Tuned, T-Max/YellowTop, RemoteFBH, GlassesMod, WheelWinchMod, Jack Mod, LED Mods, Seized Crank Mod....  
Post #177066528th Jan 2017 9:00 pm
Iceman08

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I'm looking forward to seeing this trip unfold Thumbs Up

Post #177067228th Jan 2017 9:05 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Re Rodby ferry, the alternative is the Great Belt bridge. OK it's 70 miles more but no waiting around for the ferry & yet another spectacular bridge. Plus from looking a thing the ferry prices it's expensive if you just turn up.

Other alternatives would be the Stenna Lines ferries from Rostock or Sassnitz in Germany to Trelleborg in Sweden.

Just complicating things further!! Laughing Laughing Thumbs Up

Re longer ferries, book everything flexible, then as times change you can just phone & change. If you've got Clubcard points looking for a home, book the tunnel with those. Ignore what they say on the phone, you can change them with a call. On last Scandinavian trip I changed the return leg three or four times to suit my movements. Thumbs Up

PS Good call coming back from LuleƄ, means you're not just hanging around to fly back. Thumbs Up

Post #177067328th Jan 2017 9:07 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

And PPS have a butchers at this route from LuleƄ to North Cape. To Turnio, then Rovanemei (Santa Clause land), up to Inari and then NE to W of Kirkenes to pick up the E6 and West via Lakselv. Just a thought but fantastic detour, will be doing a good chunk of it in July.

Click image to enlarge

Ignore my stars (routing WPs) and flags (o/n sites). Thumbs Up

Last edited by DSL on 28th Jan 2017 9:55 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #177068628th Jan 2017 9:28 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Also while you're passing on the last leg to North Cape worth having a detour for these old gun emplacements south of Honningsvag, on the mainland. Gravel track off the main road and you start to pick out protective emplacements and trenches & barbed wire, then destroyed big gun emplacements.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

To help you locate:

Click image to enlarge

Post #177069828th Jan 2017 9:49 pm
spikekellyrm

Del,

Thanks a lot, I think the great belt bridge would provide much more flexibility so that's now in the plan!

As for tesco points, I've never bothered with a card even though I do all my shopping there. My Mrs has some points, I thought about booking her as lead passenger despite her not being in attendance for the outbound leg, but according to a Q&A site I found online, the lead passenger has to be present in the car. (probably because they don't charge per person)

Thanks for the pointers on places to see. Is one of those starred routes 'the old postal route' someone posted this morning? I saw that you'd commented and it caught my eye also.

I'd like to see some more battle sites, many were naval battles as you know though. There were a few commando raids along the coast but I haven't found any memorials or anything worth visiting at these locations yet.
 D4.5 Facelift, Lazer ST4, Prospeed underbody and rack, IID BT, Compomotive/BFG KO2, Series MFlaps, RAI, Dog Gd+XBB, Alive Tuned, T-Max/YellowTop, RemoteFBH, GlassesMod, WheelWinchMod, Jack Mod, LED Mods, Seized Crank Mod....  
Post #177071628th Jan 2017 10:12 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Postal route isn't on there yet, might be cutting the off that area to hack south the Mo I Rana. If I'm in the area I'll deffo do it. From nickprice's thread with the route:

A link to the Old Postal Road route for anyone interested is here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1...MNrEoajUmI (I also have it as a Memory Map file)

And get a Clubcard!!!!!!! We've not paid for a single Chunnel crossing or year's RAC cover, all done through Clubcard points. It's free stuff. If you don't want to get one I can send you a key tag of mine. Whistle Whistle Thumbs Up

Post #177072228th Jan 2017 10:20 pm
Parmenian

Guernsey 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I think you may have done our planning for us Wink

We'll be heading up from St Malo on the 8th April. It'll be interesting to hear what you decide on the tent front. What're you doing for heating?

Um, also, do you have snow tyres and chains? Not sure on the law and weather conditions Oop North in Norway/Sweden.

Post #177074528th Jan 2017 10:54 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Tyre choice is an interesting point. Might be worth looking at something all season like Quadtracs or full winters (but ones that don't wear in warm) as massively different conditions could be encountered at that time of year.

Post #177074928th Jan 2017 11:00 pm
Tanglewood

United Kingdom 

Parmenian wrote:
What're you doing for heating?

JHW!

Post #177075128th Jan 2017 11:04 pm
spikekellyrm

Well it's grown arms and legs already! Return flights are booked as that was the limiting factor, as is airport parking. Now drawn out a timeline, working backwards from the flight time.

I've just found out you can 'merge' clubcards, I'll be joining her clubcard tomorrow Laughing (That'll be a trip contribution in her eyes)

According to the internets, the average temp range will be -3deg to +5deg
For heating, in the tent, none. Partly because I've not decided on a tent yet. Got plenty of Arctic spec gear though!

Tyres that are currently on the car are Scorpion Ice and Snow. Not terribly impressed by them to be honest. I know it's hard to judge but I found my almost bald Scorpion M+S understeered less in the same conditions. The Ice and Snows probably will be scrubbed out by then but I am considering treating her though on this front.. BFG AT KO2 Whistle I don't have chains but could potentially borrow some.

Tanglewood, I'm flying back to spend the Saturday down near you. Keep your eye out for a very thin, hypothermic bloke, still wearing his JWH and Chris Bonington icicle beard.

Last edited by spikekellyrm on 29th Jan 2017 12:53 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #177077629th Jan 2017 12:33 am
SWR

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

This looks like a great trip. Will be watching. Thumbs Up

Hope it goes well.
 D3 HSE TDV6 Auto. Bonatti Grey.

Mods:
V8 Brake upgrade (front Only), Full height Luggage guard, Rubber mats all round, RLD spare wheel protector, Terra Firma Steering and Transmission guard, Smoooooth Nappa steering wheel, Clock on dash and Reverse home lights. National Luna split charge system, front and rear light guards, Danhag GSM (on loan), JE stage 1 remap... Zero money

Post #177077929th Jan 2017 12:47 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Useful link for webcams on & around Northcape's island: http://www.nordkapp.tv

Post #177080229th Jan 2017 8:28 am
DSL

Ukraine 

And a useful link here re other Atlantic Wall sites, with locations. http://www.bunkerhistorie.nl/index.php/en/norway/artgr-nordkapp Thumbs Up

Post #177091629th Jan 2017 12:46 pm
spikekellyrm

Outbound ferry and her flight out booked.

Tunnel and return ferry still need planning.

Timeline for phase 1. Can you tell I'm sat at work this weekend? Laughing

Click image to enlarge
Post #177094229th Jan 2017 1:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 9 123456789>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >