Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Self-fit removable tow bar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
nigelc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Self-fit removable tow bar

I have an air suspension D3 without rear parking sensors. I want to self fit a removable tow bar, which are available on e-bay for a lot less than list. Is it easy to fit the electrics pack yourself and what type do I need? Probably use mainly for towing boat and cycle rack when I get too creaky to put them on the roof. Also is the polystyrene thing to stow it part of the towbar part?

Post #2966498th May 2008 5:25 pm
Ocsid

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

The Polystyrene thing is not part of the towbar and is extortionately expensive.
Try to live without it for starters, if you are able to leave the bar in the garage when towbar is not in use.
If you have to carry it then for safety reasons its best to stow it correctly as its a heavy object to be loose.

Post #2967198th May 2008 8:11 pm
SimonR

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Got my towbar from ebay and the electrics from Nick at Yeovil - did look at fitting electrics myself but decided to use independent who charged £45

Wrapped towbar in bubble wrap and keep in the side pocket

Post #2967608th May 2008 9:40 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 
Re: Self-fit removable tow bar

nigelc wrote:
I have an air suspension D3 without rear parking sensors. I want to self fit a removable tow bar, which are available on e-bay for a lot less than list. Is it easy to fit the electrics pack yourself and what type do I need? Probably use mainly for towing boat and cycle rack when I get too creaky to put them on the roof. Also is the polystyrene thing to stow it part of the towbar part?

Its very easy, I did mine Wednesday night.

The towbar itself just slides in a locks, nothing to fit really.

The wiring kit (instructions on the Land Rover Manual Site) is pretty easy, should take about an hour.

You basically get the loom in two parts. The first part with the socket bolts into existing captive nuts in the tow area after you feed the cable through. You then remove the rear left light (two screws and pull) and pop out a grommit thats not used, open the left side panel hatch inside the boot and do the same. Pull second half of loom through those holes, its pre-fitted with two grommits to seal the holes you just made. Plug into sockets inside the panel after removing the blank connectors, clip plugs and their clips holes already there, clip fusebox onto clip thats already there and your done inside the boot side.

You then need to drop spare wheel and then comes the only tricky bit is just feeding the cable from the socket just up over the wobble weight, once cable is in its easy but you just need to fiddle to feed the connectors over. My recommendations are wear eye protection (bits fall down, dirt stuff etc) when laying underneath, and roll your sleeves up as exhaust is a bit grubby and you need to get your hand up above the left side exhaust to feed cable up.

Once you have poked cable through the two parts of the loom just join inside the bumper through the gap where the light has been removed you can clip these together. You wrap them in sticky foam (supplied) to stop them rattling around.

Refit light, winch wheel back up into place, job done.

Cable from socket is pre-fitted at correct distance with clips to match holes in chassis, its all very tidy!

I went for 13 pin electrics as I have no trailer, and the thule bike rack (which should arrive today) came with a 13 pin, its also a better plug than the 7 pin from what I have read.

Got towbar and electrics from Nick, aka the large one. He does a nice discount to the forum that I found was around the same as ebay (new parts on ebay not used) and as I wanted to be sure our bikes were not going to disappear in the rear view mirror I was happy to pay for new part. There is a thread in general by the way on the recent part number change and a slight change to the lock I believe.

Got carried away there, but in summary - its an easy job Wink

Post #2969689th May 2008 9:58 am
nigelc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Nick?

Post #2970689th May 2008 2:02 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Nick = The Large One, on this forum.

Dealer in Yeovil. Top Man. DISCO3 prices special.
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #2970719th May 2008 2:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Nick (site name The Large One), chief parts wallah at Yeovil LR. Best source for LR parts at a good discount. Just received removable tow bar from Nick, excellent service and was in my sweaty mits 2 days later. I've no links with Yeovil LR but am open to bribes! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Last edited by DSL on 9th May 2008 5:22 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #2970729th May 2008 2:06 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

nigelc wrote:
Nick?

This thread should explain all you need, contact details in first post 8)

Post #2970829th May 2008 2:31 pm
nigelc

Thanks, and thanks for detailed instructions on wiring

Post #2971539th May 2008 5:15 pm
nigelc

Few follow up questions

1. I intend to use with a Pendle Bike rack and probably some time in the future to tow a dinghy. Are there any limitations on the removable tow bar.

2. Whats the point of the re. plastic bung thing when towbar not in use - does that mean if it hasn't had that fitte form new might be a problem getting the towbar in?

3. Is there more than one electrics kit - which is the right one?

Post #31267121st Jun 2008 4:03 pm
Ocsid

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

nigelc wrote:
Few follow up questions

1. I intend to use with a Pendle Bike rack and probably some time in the future to tow a dinghy. Are there any limitations on the removable tow bar.

2. Whats the point of the re. plastic bung thing when towbar not in use - does that mean if it hasn't had that fitte form new might be a problem getting the towbar in?

3. Is there more than one electrics kit - which is the right one?

If I recall Pendle do an attachment that clamps onto the ball; that precludes you towing at the same time.
I was not sold on that fitting one bit personally.

The plastic plug serves to "help" reduce crap accumulating in the receiver; better than nothing is how I would rate it.

There is an electric harness for the old twin 7 pin sockets and an alternative for the new Euro 13 pin single socket. The latter comes into force on all new trailer sales from September this year. If not mandatory at least recommended and its a far better solution.

Post #31267421st Jun 2008 4:20 pm
Donald

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Nigel,
to answer your questions
1 Don't know about your bike rack, probably depends whether it mounts on the ball - then no problem, or does it clamp to the arm? I tow everything from quad trailers, caravans, car and plant transporters using the removable ball, so a dinghy should be okay as long as the ride hight is right.

2 The red bung is only to stop muck clogging up the reciever when your off road etc without the ball fitted.
Many have eithier lost ith or don't bother to refit it. If need be poke around with a screwdriver to clear it.

3 One kit has UK 7 pin black and grey sockets, other has European 13 pin socket. Although new caravans from about September this year will have the 13 pin plug for the UK. You can get adaptors to convert them if you tow a mixture of trailers.
 Chipped, K&N, tow pack, AT2's, Mantec, fridge in boot, invertor, Garmin, laptop/Memory Map, Optima yellow top, Traxide Kit, Phillips Extreme bulbs  
Post #31267521st Jun 2008 4:30 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

I found my ref bung on the drive the other day, seems you really have to give it a shove and make sure it clicks into position when you refit it!

Ref the electrics, I bought 13 pin Euro as I have no trailer and the bike rack I bought has the same. Having used it, I would definitely recommend it as a plug solution. If I had a 7 pin trailer, i would still go for the 13 pin and get a cheap adapter cable for the old trailer.
 Disco3 is now gone but not forgotten. Waiting for Disco6 with full aluminium construction weight reduction and hybrid engine...  
Post #31271521st Jun 2008 7:50 pm
nigelc

Thanks for the tips

Post #31285522nd Jun 2008 8:06 am
klarkeson

United Kingdom 2005 LR3 TDV6 S Auto Alveston RedLR3
tow bar electrics

hello all, does any body know how to get my 12s socket working. The lighting socket works fine but cannot get the battery charged or fridge to work in my caravan. I have been told it needs to be commisioned by landrover or is it a simple diy fix. I used to be a machanic but this one has got me

Post #32375120th Jul 2008 8:57 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >