DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

My split charge system
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 9 <123456789>
Iceman08

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Jay666d wrote:
Thumbs Up Awesome write up!

You really went to town on removing panels. I went the same route to get power to my roof lights, but didn't want to take all those rear panels off... Ended up fishing the wires thru with a fibreglass rod, much like you did with the solder! Mr. Green

Thanks Thumbs Up

I was worried i'd catch a wire or something silly by trying to push something through as i'd already had one near miss with some cables! And it was surprisingly easy to remove everything too Whistle

Post #14672772nd May 2015 11:07 am
Iceman08

SWR wrote:
Excellent Iceman,

I am following this with real interest. Thumbs Up

Any tips to remove the rear qtr plastic trimm?

Already have the split charge system in, just need to get the feed to the rear of the car now.

I also planned to use the earth that is already there inside behind the rear lights in the back corner. Any reason you didn't use that?

cheers.

On a different thread by Andy Foster (I think) someone had posted a link to the workshop manual section where it shows how to remove the rear quarter panel. The manual link is also in Robbie's signature.

However, I undid the 2nd row seatbelt bolt, undid another bolt higher up which holds my dog guard bracket in place, folded the seat closest to it down, disconnected the wire support off the tailgate, undid the rear lashing point closest to it and then basically pulled it outwards as there was 6 clips holding it in place.

Whether thats correct or not I don't know but it worked for me Thumbs Up

I put the earth in that position purely because i'm weird!! I thought it would look neater if both cables came from the same direction and slightly less congested in there too Whistle

Post #14672812nd May 2015 11:20 am
Iceman08

All finished now folks Thumbs Up

First job yesterday was to mount the two distribution boxes, I decided to mount them inside the rear quarter panel with a couple of nuts and bolts drilled through, checking what was behind the panel before drilling of course!!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It was then time to fit the rear trim until I was left with this

Click image to enlarge

And then wired them up like so

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then it was back to the engine bay, I mounted the solenoid inside the second battery box where there was an indent and fixed it with some bolts straight through the plastic

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I then ran one cable from the T-max controller and one larger cable from the solenoid through a conduit, cable tied above the engine cover and on to the main starter battery

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Same picture as before, I ran the positive cable from the solenoid, cable tied to the existing wiring loom and around by the wing where it'll eventually connect on to the aux battery

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then I connected the main earth from the battery and the earth from the T-max controller to a ready made earth post

Click image to enlarge

I fitted an 80amp fuse and connected the other positive cable to it which will be the feed from the aux battery to the rear

Click image to enlarge

And then fitted the battery and connected it all up to reveal this

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

IT WORKS Whistle Thumbs Up 8)

I then wanted to test all the readings were the same, I found the the volt gauge in the rear reads higher than any of the others

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The 14 odd volts seemed a little high to me or is this very normal with the engine running?? At some point it did drop to a more normal level but I don't know what I was doing at the time to make that happen or if it just settled by itself, or if I had turned the lights etc on!!

Click image to enlarge

But thats it, my split charge system compete Thumbs Up

I tried to do a thorough write up as although there was loads of info on this nobody actually showed where they put everything or routed cables from start to finish..........and for someone like me pictures are much easier to understand than being told something!!

Last edited by Iceman08 on 2nd Aug 2017 1:02 pm. Edited 6 times in total 
Post #14672952nd May 2015 12:03 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Really good job there, with an eye for detail. I would probably add a protection layer between the brake lines and the positive cable if they are close.

The voltage when running is normal but it is unusual to see the poor accuracy of the rear display. Even the cheapest tend to be accurate as measuring voltage is pretty easy. I'd swap it out at some point or at least test your meter against a known good. Clearly comparative measurements should be made from the same place at the same time.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #14672982nd May 2015 12:12 pm
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up
Superb. Excellent stuff. I will be using this when I can be ar$€d find time to do mine Bow down

Post #14673012nd May 2015 12:13 pm
Andy Foster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Top job and a great write up Bow down

Done a bit more work on mine today but rain stopped play. Will put it all together in a new thread Thumbs Up

Cheers

Andy
 D4 MY15 SE TECH
D3 gone but never forgotten. 

Post #14673042nd May 2015 12:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Iceman08

Robbie wrote:
Really good job there, with an eye for detail. I would probably add a protection layer between the brake lines and the positive cable if they are close.

The voltage when running is normal but it is unusual to see the poor accuracy of the rear display. Even the cheapest tend to be accurate as measuring voltage is pretty easy. I'd swap it out at some point or at least test your meter against a known good. Clearly comparative measurements should be made from the same place at the same time.

Thumbs Up

Thanks for the feedback, what would you suggest I use as another layer of protection between the brake pipes?? Is there a chance my multimeter is reading inaccurate.........it's had a hard life?!! Maybe i'll check the voltage shortly with my IIDTool and see how that compares with my new volt gauge Thumbs Up

Post #14673082nd May 2015 12:39 pm
Iceman08

tayaste wrote:
Thumbs Up
Superb. Excellent stuff. I will be using this when I can be ar$€d find time to do mine Bow down

Thanks mate, if it helps at least one person out then i'll die a happy man!!!! Whistle

Post #14673102nd May 2015 12:40 pm
Iceman08

Andy Foster wrote:
Top job and a great write up Bow down

Done a bit more work on mine today but rain stopped play. Will put it all together in a new thread Thumbs Up

Cheers

Andy

Thanks Andy, I've been watching yours closely too and I'm keen to see the finished product Very Happy

Very neat wiring by the way 8)

Post #14673112nd May 2015 12:42 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Iceman08 wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, what would you suggest I use as another layer of protection between the brake pipes?? Is there a chance my multimeter is reading inaccurate.........it's had a hard life?!! Maybe i'll check the voltage shortly with my IIDTool and see how that compares with my new volt gauge Thumbs Up

Spiral wrap, split conduit, teflon tape - pretty much anything you have to hand really.

The voltage reading you get from the IIDTool is not great as it takes it from the ECU and some ECUs are rather poor at measuring voltage. Probably best just to borrow another DMM just to check which one is inaccurate, or use it as an excuse to buy another. It's always handy to have more than one DMM.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #14673192nd May 2015 12:56 pm
Andy Foster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up

Just started a new thread. But it's raining and I need to go out Big Cry

The only thing with this forum is I'm only half way through this mod and I'm already thinking about the next one Rolling with laughter

Cheers

Andy
 D4 MY15 SE TECH
D3 gone but never forgotten. 

Post #14673212nd May 2015 12:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
urhunden

Sweden 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Marmaris TealDiscovery 4

Maybe this is a stupid comment from an amateur.
But I already have a 12 V outlet in the boot installed from factory.
Is it not possible to hook this up already wired to the extra battery??

Post #14674092nd May 2015 4:11 pm
Iceman08

I wanted to add more sockets and a volt gauge so I left that one socket alone and built a new panel! I'm sure you could fit a split charge and wire back to the original socket though. I quite like that fact i've not really tampered with the vehicles existing wiring too!

Post #14681474th May 2015 11:03 am
Iceman08

After Robbie's recommendation to further protect the positive cables where they are close to the brake pipes I decided to use the remaining split conduit I had left over to do this. Once they were wrapped I cable tied them to the existing wiring loom.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I also added a little bit where the cables ran over the battery clamp of the main starter battery

Click image to enlarge

Then I refitted the alarm siren which I removed to make more space during the fitting/routing process. I don't have this siren plugged in as I rather the horn to sound, it's refitted more so just for storage!

Click image to enlarge

And then fitted the battery and clamp back in before joining the terminals back up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

All slightly neater looking now and that bit more safer! Thumbs Up

Last edited by Iceman08 on 2nd Aug 2017 1:26 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #14694126th May 2015 6:21 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

nice job there. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #14694166th May 2015 6:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 9 <123456789>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >