DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

My split charge system
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 9 <123456789>
DoctorWho1964

Germany 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Hi Iceman08!
Happy New Year from Germany!

I am following your basic steps on my D4 in preparation for an overland trip to Morocco at Easter and extra sockets are always useful!

Just wanted to point out that I think there is an error in your fuse/wiring dimensions:
On 30th April, you state, "The cable that was recommended was 16mm2, 110 amp"
...and...
On 2nd May, you wrote, "I fitted an 80amp fuse and connected the other positive cable to it which will be the feed from the aux battery to the rear "

While I agree with you that 16mm2 is large enough, in all the tables I have consulted, it only has a current carrying capacity of approximately 70A. In other words, your wire is now your fuse!

I will only be fitting a 60A fuse on my system and I recommend you change yours too.

Here are some links for you to check yourself - I don't mind hearing that I am wrong...

http://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk/theory/wire-size-table/
http://www.csecables.com/technical-tables-useful-info/table-4e1a/

Cheers
Chris

Post #158549131st Dec 2015 10:23 pm
markthegad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I also have a question for anybody with the duel battery, I have done this and very happy with it, I was wondering would I be able to run my dashcam direct from the 2nd battery 24/7 or would it flatten it Thumbs Up

Post #15855911st Jan 2016 10:07 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

You should be able to run it but over time it will flatten it, I run a front and rear camera on my D4 that are on all the time, the battery is fine for about 4 days (without unsing car) then starts to show signs of getting low, having said that normally my daily drive is only a few miles.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #15856011st Jan 2016 10:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
markthegad

Thanks Russell
Is that the original battery you are running them on or a 2nd gell battery Thumbs Up

Post #15856061st Jan 2016 10:52 am
Iceman08

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

DoctorWho1964 wrote:
Hi Iceman08!
Happy New Year from Germany!

I am following your basic steps on my D4 in preparation for an overland trip to Morocco at Easter and extra sockets are always useful!

Just wanted to point out that I think there is an error in your fuse/wiring dimensions:
On 30th April, you state, "The cable that was recommended was 16mm2, 110 amp"
...and...
On 2nd May, you wrote, "I fitted an 80amp fuse and connected the other positive cable to it which will be the feed from the aux battery to the rear "

While I agree with you that 16mm2 is large enough, in all the tables I have consulted, it only has a current carrying capacity of approximately 70A. In other words, your wire is now your fuse!

I will only be fitting a 60A fuse on my system and I recommend you change yours too.

Here are some links for you to check yourself - I don't mind hearing that I am wrong...

http://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk/theory/wire-size-table/
http://www.csecables.com/technical-tables-useful-info/table-4e1a/

Cheers
Chris

Happy New Year to you too DoctorWho!

I had a friend from here who celebrated New Year in Dortmund last night and he said it was "interesting!!"

To be honest I'm no electrical whiz kid, I research as much as I can and I take the advice of people who know more on the subject than me!

The Auto Electrics shop I use to get my parts and a lot of my advice are extremely knowledgable and have a very good reputation. It was on their recommendation that I fit an 80amp fuse as they said the cable is rated to 110amps, which was confirmed by showing me the sticker on the cable reel!

According to the second link you provided it depends on how the cable is housed as to what rating it is. I only looked briefly at it but method C shows it rated at 109amps. Also everywhere selling the same cable rates it at 110amps

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I'm not saying your wrong either but I'm confident with the advice I received while sourcing the cable/parts to not be overly worried.............and if it burns to the ground then maybe I can get a D4 this time around, so thats a positive!!!

Thumbs Up

Last edited by Iceman08 on 2nd Aug 2017 1:32 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #15859301st Jan 2016 11:21 pm
Iceman08

markthegad wrote:
I also have a question for anybody with the duel battery, I have done this and very happy with it, I was wondering would I be able to run my dashcam direct from the 2nd battery 24/7 or would it flatten it Thumbs Up

Do you know how much the Dashcam draws and the capacity of the second battery?

Post #15859331st Jan 2016 11:25 pm
mark c0

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Iceman, Is the second battery clamp the sae as the main battery? if not, is it a LR part?

Ive had my D3 a week and flattened the battery twice all ready just by fiddling with it for a few hours and I would really like the extra capacity OR use it as an 'emergency' supply battery to basically jumpstart itself.

Mark

Post #15859582nd Jan 2016 12:33 am
Iceman08

It is a genuine LR bracket designed for the drivers side battery box.

It sounds to me like you have a problem somewhere, it may be better to look into why your battery keeps going flat...........and it'd be cheaper!

Thumbs Up

Post #15859722nd Jan 2016 1:36 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

markthegad wrote:
Thanks Russell
Is that the original battery you are running them on or a 2nd gell battery Thumbs Up

No that is the original starter battery
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #15859862nd Jan 2016 8:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Russell

United Kingdom 

mark c0 wrote:
Iceman, Is the second battery clamp the sae as the main battery? if not, is it a LR part?

Ive had my D3 a week and flattened the battery twice all ready just by fiddling with it for a few hours and I would really like the extra capacity OR use it as an 'emergency' supply battery to basically jumpstart itself.

Mark

Does not take long to flatten a battery on D3 or D4 with doors open and ignition on, if you add the radio as well then you are in trouble quiclky, massive draw on battery from all the ECU's and electronics especially when the engine is not running.
D4 camera club 

Post #15859872nd Jan 2016 8:10 am
DoctorWho1964

Germany 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Iceman :- My usual cable supplier doesn't list current rating - I guess they don't want to be held responsible Laughing I also tend to err on the side of caution - Wimp, I know Embarassed

Another note - Was trying to find the "unused" grommet yesterday, but I don't appear to have one - Darn! Will have to use your original route - Maybe it is simply not there on the MY13 (??). I also have a Glow Control Unit that needs a new home...

Thanks again for the great photos Bow down

Russell :- I agree: I had the same problem in Croatia last September after a night of torrential rain and continually opening and closing the doors (switching on and off the electronics). Decided it was time for the upgrade!

Off to buy a battery bracket!

Post #15860022nd Jan 2016 10:01 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

TDoctorWho the grommet is there on UK cars, has been on all my D3 and D4's
D4 camera club 

Post #15860042nd Jan 2016 10:09 am
mark c0

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Russell, I had the key in position 1 (nav screen was on also) and the tailgate open for a few hours and that was its lot. It's a brand new Bosch battery a year ago so hopefully all good.

I can get ford batteries FOC so will put the biggest I can in place as a second battery. Is there any specs listed by LR for a second battery? Size or capacity?

Thanks

Mark.

Post #15860712nd Jan 2016 12:49 pm
markthegad

Hello Ben
The dash cam is a
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00GRYT5QI...ref=plSrch
The battery is the same as yours as I copied everything, my plan was to have a permanent feed from extra battery but keep existing feed from cigarette lighter so I can switch to the permanent feed when in places like car parks Thumbs Up Mark

Post #15860742nd Jan 2016 12:57 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

mark c0 wrote:
Russell, I had the key in position 1 (nav screen was on also) and the tailgate open for a few hours and that was its lot. It's a brand new Bosch battery a year ago so hopefully all good.

I can get ford batteries FOC so will put the biggest I can in place as a second battery. Is there any specs listed by LR for a second battery? Size or capacity?

Thanks

Mark.

Mark would suggest that is the reason then, boot open means all interior lights on, ignition in position one means some (not sure how many) ECUs live hence dead battery very quick
D4 camera club 

Post #15860832nd Jan 2016 1:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 9 <123456789>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >