Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Stne chip protection film
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
KevF

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4
Stne chip protection film

I have Paintshield fitted to the front of the Voyager and think its great stuff. I have had it removed as i am selling it next week and there isnt a chip anywhere on the front.
I want to get this put on the Disco but wondered if anyone else has this and whether due to the height its necessary.
As my local installer is very helpful, I can get him to make up some other templates.

Are there any particular areas that get stone chips apart from the front edge of the bonnet and bumper?

Cheers

kev

Post #24551315th Jan 2008 5:38 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

above the windscreen and the front grill....
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #24551515th Jan 2008 5:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Kev,

I've not seen Paintshield myself but there have historically been various discussions about protecting the side panels from bramble rash when laning and some have improvised with shrink wrap, is this something that Paintshield could do or be utilised for do you know?

M
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #24553215th Jan 2008 5:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PierreJ

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

blue meanie wrote:
Kev,

I've not seen Paintshield myself but there have historically been various discussions about protecting the side panels from bramble rash when laning and some have improvised with shrink wrap, is this something that Paintshield could do or be utilised for do you know?

M

There is a crowd in South Africa, who sells clear vinyl stickers, cut to the panel sizes, with holes cut where the door handles etc goes. It protects the sides and rear, from scratches when you ventue into the bush.

I have seen it on a vehicle, but cannot remember the company that does it. Perhaps Heine or the like from the SA side of the forum can research.

I would also be interested in such a product.

Regards,
Pierre
 Why is the fear of long words called hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia?  
Post #24591216th Jan 2008 4:38 am
KevF

M,

The film is used on race cars too. The only problem is the warranty on the paint is not covered if used when racing.
As far as light scratches, our Voyager is driven down some narrow lanes and the sides tend to get hedge scratches. I have noticed the scratch goes along the paint until the film then nothing so it does its job.

I originally spoke to a guy called Tom at Paintshield who then put me in contact with local guys Evolution Valet who are installers in my neck of the woods. Cant fault the product at all and has saved some good sized stone chips. When it was removed, the film had quite a few shock marks but nothing on the paint....

K

Post #24597316th Jan 2008 10:23 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

PierreJ wrote:
blue meanie wrote:
Kev,

M

There is a crowd in South Africa, who sells clear vinyl stickers, cut to the panel sizes, with holes cut where the door handles etc goes. It protects the sides and rear, from scratches when you ventue into the bush.

I have seen it on a vehicle, but cannot remember the company that does it. Perhaps Heine or the like from the SA side of the forum can research.

I would also be interested in such a product.

Regards,
Pierre

Cheaper to respray your car Evil or Very Mad

Post #24598016th Jan 2008 10:42 am
KevF

[quote="heine]
Cheaper to respray your car Evil or Very Mad[/quote]

Shocked I have had a fitted price of £399 for the Disco. If you can get the whole of the front of the car sprayed for that every year then fine.

I know that after spending the initial install price I wont have to touch the front up every year and that come resale, wont have to touch the paintwork....

Post #24606816th Jan 2008 2:15 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

I don't venture offroad in mine, but i have to admit with respect to normal run of the mill chips, the paint seems remarkably tough when compared to other cars I have had (just had to look at my merc and it would chip), I have got some chips but have touched them up so they are invisible unless you peer at them from short distance (saying that, will probably get a peach of a chip on the way home tonight)

Post #24607416th Jan 2008 2:30 pm
KevF

Right so along with these areas below the other area I am thinking of getting done is the front edge of the roof line?

Bonnet front edge (letters cutout)

Grill

Bumper (with park sensors)

Does any parts of the wheel arches need any kind of cover? I guess due to the ride height there is lesser chance for the bonnet to be hit by stone chips. Mainly the bumper really.

Ta

Kev

Post #24609516th Jan 2008 3:12 pm
heine

KevF wrote:
[ Shocked I have had a fitted price of £399 for the Disco. If you can get the whole of the front of the car sprayed for that every year then fine.

I know that after spending the initial install price I wont have to touch the front up every year and that come resale, wont have to touch the paintwork....

I was quoted R15 000 to do mine . OK granted it was for the whole car excluding the roof , but still pretty steep IMHO

Post #24628116th Jan 2008 9:28 pm
PierreJ

heine wrote:
I was quoted R15 000 to do mine . OK granted it was for the whole car excluding the roof , but still pretty steep IMHO

There was a crowd in th SA 4x4 mag advertising it at some point. I phoned them and they quoted me R2500 for my previous Disco. I then saw the prduct on a D3 at Bedfordview. Not bad.

Just battling getting my hands on he SA 4x4 mag. Sad
Post #24651917th Jan 2008 5:58 am
heine

The only one I could find was VPS (vehicle protection shield ) and they quoted me the said amount of R15 000 .

http://www.vpsprotection.co.za/

Post #24655617th Jan 2008 10:01 am
KevF

Well bring yours over here and I am sure the guy who will do mine would work a deal.... Thumbs Up Wink

Post #24669417th Jan 2008 2:34 pm
heine

Thumbs Up Got my snorkel fitted the other day - so I'm sure I can drive across the pond now Rolling with laughter

Post #24674417th Jan 2008 3:52 pm
PierreJ

heine wrote:
The only one I could find was VPS (vehicle protection shield ) and they quoted me the said amount of R15 000 .

http://www.vpsprotection.co.za/

Shocked

I see your point on respraying. Also far of the price I got for R2500. Not sure it's the sam company though.
Post #24796220th Jan 2008 7:41 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >