DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Strange Metal Noise when Breaking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
luciogodoy

Brazil 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Strange Metal Noise when Breaking

Hi Guys;

It was quite sunny over my way on the weekend, and for the first time i drove with the windows fully openned, and every time i stopped at a juntion or traffic lights, i would hear one sharp noise/bang coming from the front of the car as if the break pads/caliper were adjusting themselfs after being replaced, which they haven't!

The car has 22K miles, maybe the pads/caliper are auto-retracting for some reason, dunno.

Any clues on this noise matter, pls?

thanks

Lucio
 I'm riding a R1250GSA Triple Back
Previous love: Disco 3 HSE MY07, D4 heated Steering/W, D4 rear cluster, D4 extended roof rack, D4 grille & air grille, D4 rear bumper, colour coded arches + front bumper, side-steps, Webasto timer/ remote control, De-Tangoed Xenon headlights + HID, LEDs all around, reverse CAM (RR hack) + brightness, DLR LEDs, 3-click indicator, SatNav on the move, EGR's done, front/rear antiroll bar Polybush, gearbox pan/filter + oil mega-flush. 

Post #2958176th May 2008 11:23 am
Alex08

Scotland 

Were you putting the handbreak on? You can hear that when the windows are open. Is the HDC off?

Post #2958256th May 2008 11:38 am
MrH

United Kingdom 

You may gave a small stone stuck between the disco and the metal sheild - that's happen to me once or twice and that make a metalic sqealling noise. You can sometimes clear it by reversing a bit (but you've probably done that by now).
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #2958446th May 2008 12:44 pm
luciogodoy

Hi Guys;

This is happening when driving, and is not a squealing noise, is it like a "plack" when I step on the foot brake, then after few miles if I step on the brakes again "plack" it happens again, but if I keep on pressing and releasing the foot brake, it doesn't make the noise.

HDC is Off, normal driving.

It feels like brake pad adjustment.

Strange, I am going to remove the front wheels later tonight.

thanks

Lucio
Previous love: Disco 3 HSE MY07, D4 heated Steering/W, D4 rear cluster, D4 extended roof rack, D4 grille & air grille, D4 rear bumper, colour coded arches + front bumper, side-steps, Webasto timer/ remote control, De-Tangoed Xenon headlights + HID, LEDs all around, reverse CAM (RR hack) + brightness, DLR LEDs, 3-click indicator, SatNav on the move, EGR's done, front/rear antiroll bar Polybush, gearbox pan/filter + oil mega-flush. 

Post #2958526th May 2008 1:07 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

A couple of possibilities,

1/ the caliper bracket is coming loose, and the noise is the movement of the whole assembly - try going forward and then back wards, it should be louder if that the case.

2/ There is supposed to be 0.5mm clearance between the side of the pad and the stainless steel shims on the bracket body, either the pads could be the wrong width, or the little shims have come out( I presume they did fit them then) this movement would be heard if too great

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #2958576th May 2008 1:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
luciogodoy

Hi All;

I haven't been able to stop yet to investigate properly what/where the noise is coming from, but I can say that is not break related I think.

I only hear when I break, either going forward or backwards, and when travelling if I step on the brakes once I hear the noise and if I step again, I won't hear the noise, the car has to travel for some time before it happens again.

It feels like suspension or steering arm/whish bone play, the D3 has only 21K on the clock.

The car is booked to go for a CD repair and I will ask LR to check the noise, but b4 that I will have a look.

This noise is for sure one thing: It is annoying the he** of me!

Thanks

Lucio

Post #2969769th May 2008 10:19 am
luciogodoy

Hi all;

Problem fixed, it seems that i had some loose nuts/bolts on the left hand side suspension, which caused play and the noise.

All done at no charge at LR Ascot.

Thanks

Lucio

Post #30134321st May 2008 9:01 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Result Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #30136121st May 2008 9:49 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >