Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Sunroof - Replacement drain hoses
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Charliecloud

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Sunroof - Replacement drain hoses

I know that there are numerous threads on leaks from the sunroof,as I have read most of them Very Happy However these are just a few observations from replacing the drain hoses.

If you have a Disc 3 - eventually the hoses rot where they exit the car, so you will get a leak.

The replacements are a new design and should last at least as long as the old style, mine were slightly over long and on the drivers side needed cutting by about 100mm.

The sun visor cover for the fixing on the swivel end is a Censored It has two nibs top and bottom, you need to get a flat blade under the joint on the face , lift and twist to release them. The wiring to the visor has a simple block connector that can be released to get the visor removed

If you remove sun visor, grab handle, A trim, and bottom B trim, then release the top B trim you can gently lower the roof lining enough to see (get a good bright torch) the drain connection.

To thread the drain tube I pulled the elbow off of the old one and taped the new to it in line and pulled the old one up past the dash, thereafter it's fairly plain sailing to get the new drain tube up into position. Just be carefull as you push it onto the drain, as it is plastic and you don't want to break it. Push the elbow end through the hole in the bulk head, it takes a slight twist to get it properly seated, double or triple check it's in as you don't want it to come out. Test by pouring some water into the sunroof and grin like a cheshire cat as the water trickles out on the outside of the car.

Put all the bits of trim back and think about doing the passenger side Sad

Post #18014298th Apr 2017 6:35 pm
pjm-84

Ukraine 

I also struggled with the sun visor.

It was the PITA item and I did the passenger side.

Post #18014408th Apr 2017 7:10 pm
Charliecloud

I'm thinking about taking out the inner wheel arch on the passenger side and threading the new hose from that side and not having to take out the fuse box. I'm sure that there is enough give in the elbow to push it in.
Anybody fitted one that way?

Post #18014738th Apr 2017 8:11 pm
Danish

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4

I pulled off the new elbow and put it on the old tube . It came with a plastic insert to join together. Removing and refitting the junction box was a bit of a pain but all done.
 D4 HSE
D3 HSE
D2 ex police upgraded to HSE
P38 

Post #18015088th Apr 2017 8:45 pm
pjm-84

Ukraine 

The removal of the CJB wasn't too bad and I've got big hands! No way could I gain access via the inner wheel arch

Post #18015328th Apr 2017 9:57 pm
Charliecloud

How much of a gap between the elbow and the back of the CJB ?

Thanks

Post #18017169th Apr 2017 5:26 pm
pjm-84

Ukraine 

Hmmmm ....none!

CJB needs to be removed. 2 nuts and electrical connectors. I was dreading it but it wasn't too bad.

Post #18017309th Apr 2017 6:02 pm
Charliecloud

Well I sorted the dreaded passenger side today. This side was ok,as the end had been opened at some time, however it was a bit soft and mushy and as i was there i changed it out.

It is possible to do this side without taking out the CJB, however you have to take the wing off, as the outlet is concealed in a little cubby hole Censored However at worst you might break a few clips. Once the wing is off you can get directly to the outlet. A word of caution, you must release the tube from the sunroof drain, just remove A pillar, visor and grab handle gently pull roof lining down and the drain location is easy to spot with a bright torch. Getting the old drain out of the bulkhead also requires getting a good grip on it and twisting it at an angle to pull it and the pipe through the hole. Don't blame me if you lose it back through the hole Surprised Test with the aid of a conscripted family member and put it all back together and enjoy your sun roof Very Happy

Post #180330213th Apr 2017 7:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >