Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Suspect engine failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
adran 33

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3
Suspect engine failure

First off apologies to all the contributors on this site I have been a user for quite a while now and not introduced myself or posted, (due to the fact we are in Norfolk and only had 256k download speed, so No u tube, catch up tv, net flix etc but more importantly it would take three or four minutes, just to open the forum let alone trying to search or upload/download anything, Yet all my complaints to bt went to a call center in the middle of India where they all had high speed Broadband and failed to see why i did not)
Any way now we have new phone lines and an extortionate bt option for high speed broadband up to 50 meg, guaranteed 19 minimum we have 9 meg,!! but at last i can use the interweb.
So my 55 plate silver HSE D3, 149k possibly the most comfortable landrover i have ever owned has had its issues in the last three years, I bought it with no history it was on a private plate, and was not even on the Landrover system, LR chap said it was probably a celebrity's or (important persons car) hence no records? he did do a check.
Well it is an important persons car now(IMHO)its mine!
I have replaced all the suspension bushes, Belts and pulleys, brake disks, and pads,Battery, Front hub,headlight unit, front door catch, but in reality it has been reliable no major issues, until yesterday!
Going to the once a year craft fair SWMBO insists on going to (small price to pay for all my landrover time), and yep in the middle of nowhere 20 miles from home a strange noise like a belt slapping around the engine almost a chuffing noise,so pulled over and poped the bonnet, a real noticeable knocking strange noise, so turned it off,
Checked every thing i could think off,nothing obvious,so plugged in the nano com obd11 and no fault codes,tried to start it and it was like the engine had seized,the battery died so did all the electricals,and would not turn over, so turned it off, tried it again and it turned over twice and stopped again, so Called AA man.
He turned up I told him it seemed terminal,but he wanted me to try it, It did turn over but made a real bad mechanical banging noise and would not start, he reckoned the crank had snapped,so we waited 3 hours for a tow truck.
Once home had to move it into garden tried to start it and it fired up but with a mechanical knocking noise, and drove it into the garage, i have pulled the front off and the belts and pulleys are fine, so now i am thinking it may be the crank? Every system had lost coms i assume when the starter pulled all that current so i reset everything,Still no fault code come up.
After checking hours worth of posts and you tube for D3 engine noise,s it sounds like the ones that have shells/crank gone, so now i am assuming the worse Big Cry

So my question is are the engines still like unicorns impossible to find and worth a fortune, it is probably only worth 5-6k in running order, so dont really want to spend a fortune on it, but then dont want to loose it, or could it be something else,
And the worse thing of all i may have to resort to a toymotor auris for work tomorrow because my 90 has no MOT, Damn! Damn! Damn!
Thanks for reading my drivels and any constructive advice greatly received oh the joy of the D3.
Thanks
Adrian

Post #184925120th Aug 2017 2:46 pm
Ja92mie

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Sorry to hear your trouble! I think I've read on here a new engine is around 5k alone!

Post #184925320th Aug 2017 2:56 pm
adran 33

Thanks ja92mie
Maybe if I spent 5k the car would be worth 10 Rolling with laughter (I don't think so)
If I don't laugh about it Big Cry

Post #184925420th Aug 2017 3:02 pm
Ja92mie

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

If you decide against a new engine, you will certainly get a few quid for it in parts.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Post #184925520th Aug 2017 3:04 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Hopefully someone more in the know will be along, but what I would recommend is :

1. Inspect around the bottom half of the engine to ensure no holes.
I guess there would be an oil leak if there were.

2. You could pull the bottom half of the engine off for inspection to see if crank (there are cranks on ebay, search for TDV6 crank) or shells

To do this you:

Remove all of the plastic fan surround
Drain oil
Remove lower sump. (gaskets are reusable apparently) (Inspect to see if any metal in there)
Remove oil pick up pipe.

Apply WD40 to exposed threads
Disconnect battery and unbolt starter. (no need to remove off car for now)
Remove dip stick and pull the dip stick tube up a coupe of inches (best not to remove completely from car as pain to re thread it in)
Unbolt turbo oil drain pipe. (I think this can be done with the front prop in situ???)

Apply WD40 to exposed threads
Unbolt the aux belt tensioner bracket
Undo the many bolts holding the "top sump" on. 8mm and 13? Careful not to break um.

Sump should now be loose and starter should be loose

Drain the pas fluid from the tiny silver PAS pipes on drivers side. And leave them loose.

You should now be able to giggle the sump out the front of the car and up by the rad.
You may need to rotate the crank slightly to make room

You should now be able to inspect things among the black mess.

Post #184925620th Aug 2017 3:14 pm
adran 33

Thanks Pete appreciate the advice.

Post #184926920th Aug 2017 4:14 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Commiserations, it's getting ridiculous the number of engines reported failing, even newish ones, take the oil filter off first and check for debris, it may just be a snapped timing chain inside top offside rocker cover, still a disasters though and a major job.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #184927220th Aug 2017 4:33 pm
ds23man

Netherlands 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

First try to rotatate the engine with the crankshaft pulley bolt. Probably it is seized ( broken crankshaft). Been there, done that.

Big Cry

Post #184927420th Aug 2017 4:39 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

It's interesting that he drove it into the garage, just with a "knocking noise"

Post #184927520th Aug 2017 4:41 pm
Dave T

England 

If you have the facilities then jag engines can be found and used with a few alterations,
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #184927920th Aug 2017 4:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

a strange noise like a belt slapping around the engine almost a chuffing noise,so pulled over and poped the bonnet

Sounds just like mine, at first I thought it was a loose piece of trim and got off the road quickly

Then sounded like:

Then a couple of starts later:

Car's gone to make Coke cans. Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Post #184928120th Aug 2017 5:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >