Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Suspension and electrical issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
alex0264

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4
Suspension and electrical issues

Hello. I've had some interesting issues with my 2014 HSE over the last few months, and I simply want a sanity check to make sure I'm not going mad!

I purchased the vehicle in April this year and the drive / ride were silky smooth. As of 3 or 4 months ago I noticed that the ride quality was starting to get progressively worse, so I took it in to be looked at and no problems were found. When I say the ride is getting worse, I mean it's gone from gliding along the road and feeling a light thud over a manhole, to a ride so rough that going over said manhole makes things on the dash above the glove box jump around. It generally feels lumpy and on the motorway at speed, when you go over bits where bridges join with the road etc. it almost feels like the suspension has no air in it and it's hitting the bump stops (though I'm sure it isn't). I've also had some odd electrical issues that I'll list below.

- 1 occasion where after filling up with diesel the car sounded very quiet, and when I went to pull away it had absolutely no power. Stopping and starting the engine resolved this.
- 2 occasions where I've been starting the car from cold and as the engine has almost spun up it switches off again. Perhaps a dodgy start/stop button?
- 2 occasions where the one touch window operation has worked and not worked.
- 1 occasion where I pressed 'set' for the cruise control and it turned on the sat nav
- 1 occasion where the car was meant to be lowering, but instead went to off road height
- 1 occasion where the car didn't start and I had to try again

To try and resolve the suspension issue I started parking the car in access mode and then let itself raise back to normal as I drove away the next day. For two days this helped and the ride was absolutely superb, but unfortunately that was short lived and it's now back to the rough ride again. I should add that I don't think the car has issues raising and lowering, the compressor isn't audibly loud and when parked for some time the car doesn't lean or look like it's lost any air from the system.

I'm wondering if I might be dealing with a degraded / failing battery, as I remember reading years ago that this can chaos havoc with the complex electrics in these cars. However, I've not had any warning that the battery has issues, nor have I had any warning lights of any kind. Looking at the invoices for the car (it has FSH) I can see it had a new start / stop battery a couple of years ago, but no sign of the main vehicle battery being changed.

Please can someone confirm if this is stuff to worry about, or am I going mad? It's embarrassing to keep going back to the garage and them not finding an issue. I think the problem is I drive it on a daily basis and having driven these cars for over a decade, am I getting immune to them?? When the garage drive it they can't find anything wrong, and they see countless amounts of these cars daily (LR independent).

Thanks in advance

Post #23179098th Dec 2022 10:51 pm
alex0264

Sorry I forgot to say the car is about to tick over the 77k mark, has had 1 previous owner from new and judging by the service history said previous owner was quite happy to pay if something needed doing and only genuine parts as well.

Post #23179178th Dec 2022 11:17 pm
Pedros

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

When the main battery is heading towards end of life, it's true you get some weird and wonderful stuff happening, although I don't think I've heard of exactly what you describe. Seeing as a garage can't find anything amiss, I'd be tempted to treat it to a new battery. If nothing else, you'll have eliminated that as a cause. In fact, thinking about it, I wonder if there's a connection problem. As a first port of call, I'd check the battery connections are tight and that the main earth does in fact earth, I've heard before that can cause a problem. Then maybe think new battery if no joy.

Post #23179289th Dec 2022 1:58 am
alex0264

Thanks. I'll check the terminals over the weekend and test the ground to make sure all is well.

Post #23179739th Dec 2022 3:03 pm
Sylvester19

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Won't do any harm checking the earth strap on the R/H side, quick search on the forum to see where it is.

Post #231804410th Dec 2022 12:13 am
alex0264

Apologies for the radio silence on this one. I checked the battery terminals and all looked well, infact it looked like new under the battery cover. I didn't check the earth strap as I didn't really fancy pulling the wheel arch apart.

I've decided to book it in and see if the garage can resolve the problem. Fingers crossed it's just something simple like suspension height calibration or similar. It's just so odd that it has these short term phases of driving beautifully, then a day or two later it's awful again. I'll try to remember to report back once the car has been looked at. The poor garage must think I'm mad!

Post #232421426th Jan 2023 2:37 pm
alex0264

A further update on this, the problem is still ongoing. The car is basically sitting on new rear suspension now - track control arms both upper and lower, as well as new shock absorbers - all genuine parts as well. The Goodyear tyres have all been changed for Pirelli's too. After getting the car back it rides perfectly for around a week, then goes back to riding badly again. One thing I've noticed is since getting it back, the hiss of air when it levels itself is really loud, almost like the hiss you get when disconnecting an air tool, and it never used to be this loud. Also when it was riding well it would level itself each time I locked the car, but that doesn't seem to happen anymore either.

The car is going in again on Monday for further diagnosis. I am convinced it's an air suspension or electrical issue. Last week I fitted a new battery, but sadly that didn't make the slightest difference. This morning when I pulled up at work the car simply turned itself of when I put the handbrake on, and it wasn't in eco mode either, so that was very odd. I shall keep you posted with any progress. So frustrating.

Post #233397920th Apr 2023 5:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >