Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Suspension warning light
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
thepurser

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

Dave very Kindly volunteered to come for a jaunt to see the car tomorrow with his iid.

Will let you all know what we find.

Thanks to all and especially Dave!!

Post #22219072nd Apr 2021 1:03 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

That’s awesome dave , massive credit to u mate Bow down

No probs as wondered if sevenoaks was too far, but great u now have it covered

Yes indeed Plse let us know what u find Thumbs Up

Post #22219142nd Apr 2021 1:27 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Quote:
Hiya 'thepurser', pm me your number and we'll sort out me and my IID coming over to you, I'm not too far away in Steyning.

Dave

Excellent news. Well done Dave. As Gary says, this forum is superb for the generosity of it's members.
Good luck and please let us know how you get on and what you find.
Good luck
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #22219632nd Apr 2021 6:11 pm
thepurser

Just had a visit from Trailered Movements, (Dave) with his iid.
Top bloke and thanks for making the trip over. Really appreciate it!

1st screenshot was from the first reading.

2nd is after clearing all the faults and trying again.

Any thoughts?

Also, should I need to, is it safe to drive with the car on its bump stops as my garage is a few miles away.

Thanks,
Rob

Post #22220863rd Apr 2021 1:11 pm
gstuart

Hi

Plus 1, massive credit to dave Bow down

Sounds like either , dryer is blocked , reservoir tank leaking or have a leak somewhere

Personally Would start with checking the dryer material as if that turns to dust can cause havoc with the valve blocks etc , do u know what compressor u have plse , ie hitachi or AMK

You can buy kits for the dryer that included filters and silica material

Also if I may add, your battery seriously needs charging as at low voltage of 12.0 Vdc it’s dead

Hope that helps a little

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by gstuart on 3rd Apr 2021 2:27 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #22220943rd Apr 2021 1:47 pm
thepurser

Dammit, that's the new battery on there!!!!

Post #22220993rd Apr 2021 2:01 pm
gstuart

Oh wow , did u charge the new battery before fitting it plse ,

Fingers crossed it’s just dropped with just the ign on and a good overnight charge will hopefully resolve it , then can retest it with a multimeter

Know low voltages can cause havoc on these motors and hope u didn’t mind me mentioning it

Post #22221023rd Apr 2021 2:24 pm
thepurser

Glad you spotted it!!

Been chaos here over the last three days with ferrying my Dad to three hospital appointments / trips, doctors and runs to the chemist, (all in his manual Zafira). Nothing serious, mainly old age and maintenance!!

New battery arrived in the middle of all that so foolishly just slapped it in the car. It's now "just" been removed again and is going on a decent charge for a bit!!!!

No idea what compressor it is. Will it be obvious once I find it?

Also is this an easy job, (for someone good with bolts but who is in no way a mechanic)?
Can follow a guide etc.

Post #22221073rd Apr 2021 2:48 pm
gstuart

No probs , just wished to at least let u know

Oh mate, sorry to hear that , hope all is well , my parents are on the 90s now so of course understand life gets in the way

Awesome ref the battery , must admit I leave mine plugged into a ctek via the towing 12s socket , then monitor it via an app on my phone , just makes it more convenient

If u remove the compressors bottom cover and take a pic, post it here and we can identify it for u

Personally think it would assist if u got something like that Autel ap200 as u can see live data , therefore can watch the pressure of the compressor, along with what kind of pressure it’s reaching and how quickly

Also found some tools I got useful when i done my suspension rebuild, ie a vacuum hand tester which after removing the pipe to it could use the tool to establish if the tank was ok , or even fit a pushfit cap and then watch the live data to see if it made a difference

More than happy along with others to talk u through it if ur unsure of how to test things

Not hard to replace the dryer or air tank , but alas without even a basic pressure gauge it’s difficult to see how good the compressor is

just thinking with these motors being so complicated that having something like the Autel will assist in finding faults and of course saving a lot of money in the long run by not having to rely on garages

Alas won’t do things like suspension calibration like the gap iid but at least will give u basic codes etc and not chasing ur tail in taking out a lot of the guess work , ie , things like testing battery voltage , with the battery off and then alternators output etc ,

Must admit having the gap iid and multimeter has been a godsend and saved me a fortune , hope it doesn’t come across as trying to teach u how to suck eggs

Hope that helps a little

Post #22221163rd Apr 2021 3:50 pm
thepurser

I've always found its better to give too much information if in doubt. Has to benefits. Helps make sure you are not assuming knowledge that is missing and also confirms that what you thought you did know was right all along.

Have had my eye on a BT battery monitor. Sadly dont have the facility to have the car plugged in to anything but will certainly jury rig the solar trickle for the next few weeks just to keep it topped up. Much easier than keep dragging it into the garage!!

Will certainly look at the Aukey again as I couldn't find my old scanner. Will see how the weather is tomorrow and then have a peek under the car to see what is what.

Thanks again for the advice. It's quite strange when you fall into a knowledge gap. (chasm) So used to knowing what is going on and practical problem solving at work that it feels a little odd when I face the unknown. Still does you good to learn.

Post #22221573rd Apr 2021 6:16 pm
gstuart

As always ur so welcome and helps in a small way

Must admit felt the same when I first bought mine, thought give me a boiler and I’m fine, but didn’t have a clue how to test or what to look for

But surprising of what u pick up , for me it’s been 5 x years now and always so nice to be able to pass it on for what I was taught from the fantastic members here

Often wondered how on earth I got on without a code reader , plus amazed of how much money u can save , particularly when dealers want £180 per hour plus vat

Brilliant and indeed Plse let us know how u get on , also hope I don’t sound like I’m nagging , but plse don’t ever get under these motors without axle stands

Post #22221603rd Apr 2021 6:31 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Good on you both, Dave & Gary for assisting Thumbs Up
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #22223434th Apr 2021 1:35 pm
thepurser

Just a quick update.
Not got much done here but have checked both fuses for the system and they're fine. Also checked the relay for operation (and resistance). Also fine.
Have started the car and sat by the compressor but can't hear it going. Will get someone else to come and listen to it from first ignition incase it's just really quiet.

Not had a look at the compressor yet as the car is sat so low and close to the kerb that it's not easy to get neat it.

Have established that I do indeed have some 3 tonne axle stands so if the weather improves a bit I will try to get it up in the air enough to have a proper look.

Post #22227436th Apr 2021 2:10 pm
Johnny V

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Hi,
I am a complete idiot when it comes to anything electronic but I had the same issue on my D4 - diagnosed as the compressor taking too long to reach correct pressure (not sure what the time scale is but if it is a count of 5 then mine was taking 6) - New compressor fitted and problem has not reappeared in last twelve months - mind you the new compressor is noisy compared with the original.

Post #22229667th Apr 2021 2:04 pm
gstuart

thepurser wrote:
Just a quick update.
Not got much done here but have checked both fuses for the system and they're fine. Also checked the relay for operation (and resistance). Also fine.
Have started the car and sat by the compressor but can't hear it going. Will get someone else to come and listen to it from first ignition incase it's just really quiet.

Not had a look at the compressor yet as the car is sat so low and close to the kerb that it's not easy to get neat it.

Have established that I do indeed have some 3 tonne axle stands so if the weather improves a bit I will try to get it up in the air enough to have a proper look.

Many thks for updating us

need a multimeter to test the live and Earth to the compressor itself to see if u have voltage there

Awesome you’ve found some axle stands

Ur always be able to hear the compressor run

If u haven’t got any voltage at the compressor it will be best for u to check back at the connectors which I think on a D4 are behind the headlights

Plus if u disconnect both battery leads ur be able to do a continuity test from the connectors behind ur headlight to the compressors connector proving that the loom is sound

What is ur battery Vdc now with the engine off after charging it plse, thks

Hope that helps

Post #22229737th Apr 2021 2:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >