Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Europe

Swiss driving requirements
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
JMC

Scotland 
Swiss driving requirements

Hoping to see some of the Swiss mountain passes before the end of the month.

Can any Swiss members tell me what are the legal requirements for carrying in the car if venturing to the high spots? I've seen snow on the tops by this time of year before and I don't want to end up in trouble if I find white stuff. What's the rules in CH???
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #34283911th Sep 2008 8:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Might be a bit out of date but as I understand it you need to have some wermacht insignia on the vehicle and some Jewish gold in the boot (for increased traction on difficult sections) also, don't try jumping barbed wire fences on an old BMW motorcycle - or for that matter, travelling by train, even if the driver is called 'Von Ryan' Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #34286811th Sep 2008 8:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JMC

Scotland 

Rolling Eyes Wink

You've been watching too many films whilst waiting for the race to Tunisia with the Jerboa shoulder flash. Laughing
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #34287811th Sep 2008 8:59 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Think this is still current:

Depending on the route (and normally signposted at the bottom) you may be required to have M+S tyres, snow-chains or both. Normally signified by a Red bordered Warning triangle with a Snowflake in it and a White rectangular sign below stating whats required

Winterreifen = M+S Tyres
Ketten = Chains

Should think the standard Disco3 tyres are pretty much all M+S so you should be Ok

Hope that helps.
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #34288611th Sep 2008 9:15 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Oooh, 'ark at Braveheart not wanting to get in trouble with..... the Swiss Shocked

Wink

e-tyres say:
Switzerland
The Swiss regulations are similar to those used in France. There is no general obligation to use winter tyres, although most motorist associations highly recommend the use of winter tyres for insurance reasons. If an accident has been caused by the use of summer tyres during the winter months this can lead to liability on the part of the driver, regardless of whether or not they have fully comprehensive insurance. Snow chains and spikes are generally optional, but their use can be enforced through road signs. Drivers using spikes are not generally allowed on motorways. Again, 50km/h and 80km/h speed limits are in place, in and out of town

Also worth noting that in France, as of 1 October, there is a legal requirement to carry hi-viz vests and a triangles. The police in France ar targetting UK cars. Presuming you'll be passing through some parts of France at some point?
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #34289011th Sep 2008 9:18 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

... carry hi-viz vests REACHABLE FROM IN THE CAB, and not the boot, apparently...
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #34289111th Sep 2008 9:21 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

One in each door pocket in the front, two in each in the rear (two kiddy size, two adult) and a couple in the rear lockers for seats 6 & 7 Mr. Green
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #34289311th Sep 2008 9:24 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Where's the regulation Toblerone go? Shocked
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #34289511th Sep 2008 9:28 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

Lifted from Pistonheads (I can personally confirm some of the views). Not legal requirements, but possibly pertinent to your trip.
Quote:

Speed in Switzerland.
Be aware that there are a large amount of self-righteous (especially) german-swiss motorists who will block you or stay exactly at or 2kph below a limit. It can be rather irritating, especially when they accelerate like a torpid snail!

On country roads the police often use a truck to catch out the motorist. They sit in a place where they can see a long straight, wait till the car driver overtakes a truck (who is allowed to do 80kph) then pull you both in and ping you using the trucks tachodisc as evidence!

Motorway police in CH will pull the foreigner out of a queue of vehicles for speeding and ignore the other Swiss. I usually cruise around 135kph with no great hassle!
Swiss speeding fines are HEFTY, they can impound your car and put you in jail for up to 5 days without a hearing! So don t tear the Censored out of it!

Motorway speed traps are either pole mounted which can be turned to face either carriageway mounted on the central reservation, or concrete pebbledashed boxes on the hard shoulder side of the motorway. These are mounted in pairs one for the front and one for the back about 30 meters apart and are for all lanes! They are about 120cm high, 70cm wide and show an obvious two lens system. These are also used on normal roads!
The majority of the fixed motorway cameras are live all the time.

BEWARE in motorway tunnels, they use mobile cameras IN the tunnels and often use one directly after the tunnel, because people see the tunnel end and automatically speed up! So don t increase speed till after the delimit!

Standard police cars are white and red, similar to the standard jam sarnie . There are a lot of plain wrappers , usually large Opels or BMWs. So if one catches up to you fast, lift off!
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #34290011th Sep 2008 9:32 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

As Mr. H. Said, legally you need very little unless an accident occurs. Each pass stipulates what it needs. A minimum of M+S All season tyres, preferably winter tyres, plus chains, a shovel, some emergency rations and warm clothing would be wise. If the forecast or conditions are bad, the pass may be closed, then it pays to have an alternative route planned.
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #34291211th Sep 2008 9:51 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #34291611th Sep 2008 10:00 pm
davesimmons

Canada 

STOP DRIVING OVER THE BUTTER CUPS........the hills are alive with the sound of...... HDC

Those Scots look quite good in those dresses. Whistle
 Welcome to the Global Warming Corner.  
Post #34292211th Sep 2008 10:18 pm
JMC

Scotland 

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Bow down Bow down Bow down

Thanks for this thought DG Laughing
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #34293711th Sep 2008 10:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >